DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-19-16, 06:11 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Smart TV wifi

OK, short version: the wifi sucks on my Smart TV. I get 15~20 Mbps everywhere else in the damn house on every other device. The router is less than 30 feet away, I've tried the DNS at 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, and automatic. I've unplugged it, I've reset it to factory mode, and it's up to date. I cannot get more than one bar on VUDU in HDX. I'd really rather not buy a $50+ wifi extender. Is thers any way to get the damned thing to work? I spent two hours with their borderline unintelligible customer service on the phone, and in spite of what they say, the router isn't too far away.
Old 10-19-16, 06:28 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Smart TV wifi

Does it have an ethernet cable connection? If you have a cable that long (or move the TV closer to the router), plug it in and test it that way. If you get a strong signal on all other devices but not the TV, it may be an issue with the TV wifi itself.

Last edited by E Unit; 10-19-16 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 06:48 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Does it have an ethernet cable? If you have a cable that long (or move the TV closer), plug it in and test it that way. If you get a strong signal on all other devices but not the TV, it may be an issue with the TV itself.
The problem is that the router is in another room. The only thing I can plug my Ethernet cable into is the DVR, and doing that messes up the cable, and AT&T have told me it's a no-no.
Old 10-19-16, 06:52 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

What?? I have U-verse and use their ethernet connections on the cable boxes to run stuff and have never had an issue. I guess you tried that already? You should maybe try just to see if your TV connection even runs correctly.
Old 10-19-16, 09:51 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
What?? I have U-verse and use their ethernet connections on the cable boxes to run stuff and have never had an issue.
The times in the past when I tried to do this, I wound up with pixelation and freezing on the TV I was watching. When I called AT&T and they sent the repair guy, he told me that was a punishable no-no, but that he wouldn't tell.

Quote:
I guess you tried that already? You should maybe try just to see if your TV connection even runs correctly.
There is definitely a problem with the wifi running on the TV; I have trouble getting all four bars often when I check the network. But damned if I can figure out why; other devices in the same room like my laptop have no issues. I assume the TV was manufactured with a cheap wi-fi card, but I can't really solve that.
Gillian Flynn
Old 10-20-16, 09:45 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

What's the brand of TV? Have to checked to see if it has the latest firmware (which could update the wifi firmware/software)?

Is the TV mounted on the wall or sitting on a table? Does swivelling the TV in a different direction help at all? Are there any other devices near the TV that could be interfering with the signal?

If none of that works, I'd go with what was suggested for a test scenario - to run a long ethernet cable to the router to see if it improves or not... this way you don't waste any time troubleshooting wifi if the problem still occurs - and can point the problem to something else.

Last edited by Coral; 10-20-16 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 11:21 AM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

TV Wifi almost universally sucks in my experience. I recommend either getting another wireless router/access point and run it in bridge mode, or get one of those powerline ethernet kits.
Old 10-20-16, 01:26 PM   #8
DVD Talk Ruler

Are you running wireless N? Try switching to G. I know it's slower.. but you may get a better signal.
Old 10-21-16, 07:14 AM   #9
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a hell of a time getting it working correctly on my LG. I was trying everything, from running a cable to the TV instead of wireless, to reconfiguring the router, and nothing worked. I ended up buying a new wireless router, and it connected right away. No idea what was wrong with the old one (it was wireless N), but it kept me from going insane so it was worth it...

"I think I misworded that wrong." -conscience
Old 10-31-16, 09:35 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
What?? I have U-verse and use their ethernet connections on the cable boxes to run stuff and have never had an issue. I guess you tried that already? You should maybe try just to see if your TV connection even runs correctly.
I connected the Smart TV to the DVR via Ethernet. So far, I haven't had any trouble. Maybe the last time I did it, I had problems because it was the STB instead.
Old 11-01-16, 08:42 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. I have 4 set top boxes and use the ethernet connections on all of them. I've never had an issue with them - yet.
Old 11-02-16, 08:47 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

My Vizio is connected using wifi and I have not had any issues.
Old 12-20-16, 09:56 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The WiFi doesn't give me issues on other devices. Even with the wired connection, it cuts in and out and blurs sometimes. I think that the Smart TV's processing power is just too weak to handle it, and I don't know any way of improving that.
Gillian Flynn