Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Domain Registrar suggestions

Old 10-04-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Domain Registrar suggestions

I'm wondering about people's preferences or experiences for domain registration.

I used to have all my registrations at GoDaddy, but I moved everything over to NameCheap several years ago after elephant-gate at GoDaddy (and, belatedly, because of their sexist advertising).

However, after reviewing the last few year's worth of invoices from NameCheap, I've become concerned with price creep. A dot net a few years ago cost me $10.69. This year, $13.06.

I'm seriously considering NameSilo. They started up about 5 years ago, but based on what I've read, people seem to like them. Their prices are not the absolute lowest, but they are near the bottom, and no hidden fees ("ICANN fees" and such). Their interface and sales process is simple and uncluttered (a huge plus, compared to GoDaddy). And I really like that ID privacy protection is included for free for every domain. And their free services that I won't use, but is nice that they are provided in case I ever need them: Email forwarding, Domain parking or forwarding, DNS hosting.
Old 10-05-16, 07:57 AM

Re: Domain Registrar suggestions

I used Google Domains and haven't had any issues so far. The cost is $12 a year for each domain, so not too far off from other registrars but then again it's Google so I feel confident in using it. YMMV depending on what you need or want.
Old 10-05-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Domain Registrar suggestions

It's nice that Google includes privacy protection for free. $12 is a little higher than the low end of the prices. There are 2 main problems I have with Google.

First, their support of the full range of TLD's is lackluster and lagging. It's better now than when I looked into them earlier this year, but it's still far from the full complement, and they don't seem to have any urgency to add everything.

Secondly, I don't really see this as being a core business for them, the way Search, G Suite, YouTube, etc. are. They've shown no hesitation in axing ancillary services in the past that no longer fit their model (see Wave, Buzz, Code, Reader, etc.). I'd rather go with a company whose primary business is domain registrations.