DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-09-16, 10:44 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

US Government urges Note 7 users to turn off and stop using the phone

This has been discussed in the Android thread but due to the critical nature, I think that it should get its own thread.

"This is why the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging all consumers who own a Samsung Galaxy Note7 to power them down and stop charging or using the device."

http://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/Press-Statements/Press-Statement-from-the-US-Consumer-Product-Safety-Commission-Regarding-the-Samsung-Galaxy-Note7/
Old 09-12-16, 10:48 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: US Government urges Note 7 users to turn off and stop using the phone

Here's the info from Samsung on how to exchange for a new Note 7, or for a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge (plus refund of price difference):
http://www.samsung.com/us/note7exchange/
Old 09-12-16, 11:12 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Just to note how serious this is, several Note 7s have burst into flames and started fires.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/11/recalle...le-boys-hands/
Quote:
A 6-year-old Brooklyn boy suffered burns when one of Samsung’s recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones exploded in his hands — and his grandmother says he’s now too scared to go near any other devices.

The boy was using the phone at home in East Flatbush on Saturday night when it suddenly burst into flames, his grandmother said Sunday.
Old 09-12-16, 11:49 AM   #4
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is such a mess. The risk used to be limited to when you were charging the phone, but it has now expanded to anytime.

I can't imagine what it was that they did wrong here. It's not like it's a new technology that hasn't been proven yet, so I suspect they took a short cut in manufacturing for cost or speed, that turned out to be a fatal flaw.

It really sucks to be Samsung now, because they just dug themselves out of a deep hole created by several years of mediocre phone design, and now this...
Old 09-12-16, 12:07 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I can't imagine what it was that they did wrong here. It's not like it's a new technology that hasn't been proven yet, so I suspect they took a short cut in manufacturing for cost or speed, that turned out to be a fatal flaw.
It seems like it might just be poor QA. It's only an issue with one of the two battery suppliers Samsung used. Unfortunately, that supplier is Samsung SDI:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9fc3994c-7...294649b28.html
Quote:
Samsung Electronics is expected to switch to China’s ATL as its main supplier of batteries for its Galaxy Note 7, with its Samsung SDI affiliate being widely blamed for faulty batteries in the smartphone that have prompted a damaging recall.

Analysts estimate Samsung had relied on SDI for nearly 70 per cent of the Note 7 batteries, before cases of the phone catching fire during or after charging emerged, resulting in a global recall. ATL, a key Apple supplier, is likely to provide the majority of Note 7 batteries for the time being, while the company works out the exact cause of the fault.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsungs...cus-1473082175
Quote:
In the Galaxy Note 7, a flaw in the battery cell resulted in negative and positive electrodes coming together which is abnormal, Mr. Koh said.

“There was a minor flaw in the battery manufacturing process,” said Mr. Koh, adding that “the quality control standards in the production process may have been insufficient.”
Old 09-12-16, 12:24 PM   #6
Banned

I returned mine within a few days. Passed and getting the iPhone 7
Old 09-12-16, 12:36 PM   #7
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to get overly technical about it, but QA is only supposed to catch flawed units, which is not realistic when it's a parts-per-million problem, and because the problem doesn't happen every time even on the bad units. It's not like you turn them on and they explode, every time.

This is a reliability issue, and they have to get to the cause itself. I think they probably made a small change at the SDI factory that seemed benign but turned out to be disastrous - maybe they switched to a wrong filter size used to filter out metal particles in the battery electrolyte, or they placed the filter at the wrong location in one factory. Something stupid like that, but since we are pushing the limit of technology, little things matter a lot.
Old 09-12-16, 01:01 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
I returned mine within a few days. Passed and getting the iPhone 7
I expect this will hurt Samsung significantly and a sizable number of people will do this.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 09-12-16, 10:53 PM   #9
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From EVA (Taiwan) Airlines:

Quote:
To ensure our flight safety, if you are carrying Samsung Galaxy Note 7 cell phone, please do not stow it in your check in baggage. Also, If you carry Note 7 device on board, please do not charge it or switch on the device in flight.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 09-15-16, 01:58 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

A good recap

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-is-sam...g-overheating/
Old 09-15-16, 03:47 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Official recall notice

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/...phones/#remedy
Old 09-16-16, 10:46 AM   #12
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What have you done with your phone? Traded it in for another phone, or did you get a loaner?
Old 09-16-16, 11:07 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
What have you done with your phone? Traded it in for another phone, or did you get a loaner?
I returned mine. My Verizon store said no loaners. You can get something else but you would have to pay restocking fee. And you would have to return it within 14 days or you would be stuck with it. Essentially a new phone sale. Every store is different though.

I have a Moto g4 plus so I am using that for now.
Old 09-16-16, 01:25 PM   #14
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are making it so difficult for people to stick with the Note 7. A lot of people who switch to something else may never come back. I like the S pen so I will stay with the Note line, but I probably Will skip the 7 and wait for the 8.
Old 09-16-16, 02:52 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

They didn't mention the $25 when I returned it.

I bought the iPhone 7 Plus so I will try that out for a bit. They definitely didn't handle this well. I liked the note 7 but not sure if I would go back to it,considering all the restrictions on it now. I don't want a phone that I can't use on a plane. And I don't see the restriction being lifted soon because there will always be those that hold out

Got this message from Verizon :

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced that Samsung is recalling its Galaxy Note7 Smartphones and told consumers to "immediately stop using and power down" the recalled Note7 devices purchased before 9/15/16. On Wednesday, 9/21/16, Samsung's new Note7 will be available. Verizon strongly advises that you replace your current Note7 with a new Note7. Verizon is waiving the restocking fee when you return or exchange the device to the location you purchased it from. For your inconvenience, Samsung is providing $25 off any accessory or a $25 bill credit. Learn more at www.Samsung.com/us/note7recall/ or http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/Samsung-Recalls-Galaxy-Note7-Smartphones/
Old 09-17-16, 10:52 AM   #16
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since it is a 100% recall, they should have labeled the new good units with some easily recognizable markers, maybe called it Note7 R, so it is easier to remove doubt from them (for example airline restrictions or later resale), and encourage people to exchange.

And $25 is too little of an incentive and payment for the "inconvenience." Make it $100. This recall is costing them a lot, so they might as well go all out to earn the trust rather than cut corners here and there. A lot of the people who were affected were early adopters who bought the phone right after it came out, so Samsung definitely should try to keep them loyal to the brand or phone line.
Old 09-17-16, 02:06 PM   #17
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Since it is a 100% recall, they should have labeled the new good units with some easily recognizable markers, maybe called it Note7 R, so it is easier to remove doubt from them (for example airline restrictions or later resale), and encourage people to exchange.

And $25 is too little of an incentive and payment for the "inconvenience." Make it $100. This recall is costing them a lot, so they might as well go all out to earn the trust rather than cut corners here and there. A lot of the people who were affected were early adopters who bought the phone right after it came out, so Samsung definitely should try to keep them loyal to the brand or phone line.
The box will be marked with an S but only sure about the phone it self.
Old 09-17-16, 03:24 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have a Galaxy Note 4 now and love it. I was thinking about a Note 7....but not now. Maybe I'll just buy another battery for my Note 4...battery life has dropped significantly in recent months. I'm not sure I want to go with a iPhone 7....never been a fan of the iPhone, just personal preference. Going to keep my Note 4 for now and see what Samsung comes up with in the next few months.
Old 09-17-16, 08:35 PM   #19
DVD Talk Ruler

So since we are going on vacation starting on the 20th and we had Note 7's we decided to go and swap them out for S7 Edge phones.. when we come back we'll swap them for the "safer" Note 7 again.

The thing of it is.. Verizon said that when we get notified that new phones are in we have only 8 days to respond.. then we are not eligible to switch back to them. We'll be on vacation for 2 weeks. That'll be an interesting battle when we return.
Old 09-20-16, 03:09 PM   #20
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new safe Note7 phones will have a marker to differentiate it from the older pre-recall units.

http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...google-717349/

Quote:
Yesterday, Samsung clarified how Galaxy Note 7 customers will be able to tell the fixed handsets apart from the ones packing a potentially explosive battery. The tweaks include a black sticker on the box and a new green battery icon after a software update.
Old 09-20-16, 03:23 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

The proposed green battery icon in the notification tray actually goes against Google's Android compatibility docs:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...tibility-docs/
Old 09-20-16, 03:30 PM   #22
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Google granted Samsung an exception. From the same article (update at bottom of page):

Quote:
Hiroshi Lockheimer—Google's SVP of Android, Chrome OS, and Google Play—responded to this article on Twitter. Google is apparently granting Samsung an exception, and a white border will be kept around the battery icon to help with legibility:

Quote:
we worked with Samsung on this given extraordinary circumstances. White border around icon to ensure compatibility.
Old 09-22-16, 05:52 PM   #23
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was on an American Airlines flight this morning, and at the start of the flight, they asked us that if we had a Samsung Note7, to not turn it on or plug it in. This kind of publicity must be terrible for Samsung.
Old 10-05-16, 01:38 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hero

Allegedly a replacement note 7 caught on fire on a plane.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=18250
Old 10-05-16, 07:30 PM   #25
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I flew on Monday on American Airlines, and they were still making the same announcement about the Note7 (turn off the phone and do not charge it), without any distinction between old phones and replacement phones.