Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drive needs defrag every other day?

Old 08-30-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hard Drive needs defrag every other day?

hello

I have Windows 7 on a 7yr old HP with 8gb of ram. I have Windows on it's own HD which is only about 30% full. About most of the time it's hitting the internet, checking mail and in MS Office Home & Student at best. No gaming (computer is to old) and no Youtube or anything like that....

Lately it just hangs a lot and slow on some sites (yahoo & AT&T) or just freezes up several times a day and I have to reboot. I just started to notice though I'm having to defrag about every two days now...I use Auslogics DiskDefrag.

When I pull up to analyze it, the graph is full of red blocks indicating fragmented...yet just did it two days ago. I mean it looks like a drive that hasn't been done in weeks. I use to make it a habit of doing it on weekend...slow and thorough but even with XP and Vista the drive was usually about 1/3 fragmented. But now it's like 90% every two days.... just seems a bit weird.
Old 08-30-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hard Drive needs defrag every other day?

I barely bother actually running a defragger anymore. Since Vista, Windows automatically runs its own defragger in the background.
http://www.howtogeek.com/97723/htg-e...efrag-your-pc/

I just opened it up, and it reads 1% fragmented for my drive.

If I do go for a defrag, I use MyDefrag. It can actually re-arrange files by the type they are, like putting System files together so they load faster. I'll run something like the System drive monthly once in a while:
http://filehippo.com/download_mydefrag/

It's possible the drive is getting fragmented because sectors are becoming corrupted, and the drive is moving data around to recover it. Run a HDD diagnostic. Also check for malware, and check your memory usage. If you max out your RAM, Windows will start using your HDD for paging, and that will thrash the disk and slow the system down.
Old 08-30-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Hard Drive needs defrag every other day?

Depending on how much disk space you use, you may want to consider getting an SSD for your computer, to replace your HDD. It'll make your old computer feel new again, and you don't have to worry about defragging either.