DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-09-16, 09:48 AM   #126
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: iPhone 7

Sorry, I'm kinda confused about these deals... can anyone help me out?

My wife has an iPhone SE, unlocked, on Cricket.
What's her best option to upgrade to the 7 or 7+? Would she have to switch carriers?

I have a Lumia 950XL, unlocked, on Cricket. No trade-in offers for this bad boy, right?
Old 09-09-16, 10:14 AM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

What's her best option to upgrade to the 7 or 7+? Would she have to switch carriers?

I have a Lumia 950XL, unlocked, on Cricket. No trade-in offers for this bad boy, right?
you would have to wait for the unlocked model to be released, probably within a month or two. Or, you can see if Verizon adds it to their iconic portal for purchase without service (it isn't there now). no trade in offer for the lumia, though, those are currently only for sprint, verizon and tmobile anyway.

https://preorder.verizonwireless.com
Old 09-09-16, 10:58 AM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

If she wants a discount on the 7 with trade-in, she'll need to switch carriers. T-Mobile will give a $400 credit towards an iPhone 7 with an iPhone SE trade-in:
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/apple-iphone-deals.html

The Verizon and Sprint trade-in deals don't include the iPhone SE as an eligible phone.

Otherwise, to stay on Cricket she'll have to pay full price. As D.Pham4GLTE stated, you can wait for the unlocked version to come out. The AT&T iPhone will also work, since Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses their network, but I don't see a way to pre-order the AT&T iPhone 7 without an AT&T account.

Why is she upgrading anyway? The iPhone SE is a pretty recent phone.
Old 09-09-16, 11:05 AM   #129
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, we've been considering switching to Tmobile. Hmm..

She's considering upgrading because.. she had a 5 and broke it. Got the SE because she didn't think she'd want the 6S or anything bigger. And now, since the SE feels exactly like her 5 felt, she doesn't feel like she even upgraded at all.
Old 09-09-16, 11:21 AM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

If you're with Sprint you can renew the contract and get an iPhone 7 for @299$ and it's the 256GB (not the plus). They'll waive the "processing charge," which is like $36, My total with tax on the device would have been $377. I can totally deal with a new contract - the plan still stays the same, as well.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-09-16 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 11:26 AM   #131
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Verizon

Want a new iPhone 7 at no cost? For a limited time, beginning Friday, September 9, at 12:01 a.m. PST, Verizon is offering iPhone 7 32 GB at no cost after you trade in an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s or 6s Plus.** Have an iPhone 5, 5c, 5s or SE? Get up to $400 towards the purchase of your iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus. Or trade in your Android or iPhone 4 device for up to $300 in trade-in value.
How do you get this deal? I see nothing on their site about it.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-09-16, 11:38 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
If she wants a discount on the 7 with trade-in, she'll need to switch carriers. T-Mobile will give a $400 credit towards an iPhone 7 with an iPhone SE trade-in:
http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/apple-iphone-deals.html

The Verizon and Sprint trade-in deals don't include the iPhone SE as an eligible phone.

Otherwise, to stay on Cricket she'll have to pay full price. As D.Pham4GLTE stated, you can wait for the unlocked version to come out. The AT&T iPhone will also work, since Cricket is owned by AT&T and uses their network, but I don't see a way to pre-order the AT&T iPhone 7 without an AT&T account.

Why is she upgrading anyway? The iPhone SE is a pretty recent phone.
Verizon also offers the se, also a $400 credit,towards the iPhone 7/7p. Although, trade in from Verizon is already $290 for my se.

I might suggest buying a used iphone 6 for around $330,then trading in the se for $290. For the extra $40 you pay, Verizon will give you another $250 in trade in credit.
Old 09-09-16, 11:45 AM   #133
DVD Talk God

Oh, I see it now. It's not on the site initially, you have to get in to the preorder part to see that Verizon deal. Seems like a great deal. Trade in my wife's 6 64GB for a 7 128GB.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 09-09-16, 12:00 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend

I got one ordered. Sigh

Pick up Sept 16. Matt Black 128gig.

I figure I'll try the upgrade program. Worse case is I just pay it off in 2 years. Up till now I've gone thru ATT and been committed to them 2 years. And I'd much rather be committed to Apple than to ATT.

Thought I'd wait to see if they put the dual lenses on the 7s, but if they do guess it won't cost me anything to upgrade.
Old 09-09-16, 12:24 PM   #135
DVD Talk God

Just got the 128 GB Gold (yuck!) one for my wife. Upside is it will come a week earlier than other colors. Only going to cost $4/month on the payment plan, upgrading from 64GB 6. Not a bad deal.

Old 09-09-16, 12:37 PM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Any inexpensive lightning headphones out for running (stay in your ear and sweat proof)?
Old 09-09-16, 12:56 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

So with these prices, is it easier to just buy one upfront to lessen the monthly bill? Or is the payment route easier? I know with the payment plan you can be eligible for an upgrade, but those additional monthly payments just don't seem attractive to me.
Old 09-09-16, 01:08 PM   #138
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
So with these prices, is it easier to just buy one upfront to lessen the monthly bill? Or is the payment route easier? I know with the payment plan you can be eligible for an upgrade, but those additional monthly payments just don't seem attractive to me.
I've never done the Apple Upgrade before. I've always upgraded w/ATT. But I do always buy the Apple Care+

So I'm trying the upgrade. But really, the only reason is because I really wanted the dual lens camera, but didn't want that huge 5.5" phone. So I'm thinking they may add the dual lenses to the 7s.

I'm with you. I'm not a fan of monthly bills. But, I'll try it once and see.
Old 09-09-16, 01:18 PM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Oh, I see it now. It's not on the site initially, you have to get in to the preorder part to see that Verizon deal. Seems like a great deal. Trade in my wife's 6 64GB for a 7 128GB.
Go through, add it as a trade in, it will show $650 value, comes as a 24 month bill credit. For others, you need to either have had the phone on the line, OR the IMEI of the phone, to get the value (so if you buy a phone off ebay, you would need to ask the buyer for the IMEI, or wait until you get it, which might be a better option so you can check condition)

Old 09-09-16, 01:58 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero

Att has a trade in promotion too

http://slickdeals.net/f/9091935-at-t...si_v2_14390365
Old 09-09-16, 07:13 PM   #141
DVD Talk Hero

Costco offering a Mastercard rebate for trade in of iphone 6/6s, less trade in value.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9092895-free...v2_ni_14390365
Old 09-09-16, 09:36 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I got one ordered. Sigh

Pick up Sept 16. Matt Black 128gig.

I figure I'll try the upgrade program. Worse case is I just pay it off in 2 years. Up till now I've gone thru ATT and been committed to them 2 years. And I'd much rather be committed to Apple than to ATT.

Thought I'd wait to see if they put the dual lenses on the 7s, but if they do guess it won't cost me anything to upgrade.
Same one through Verizon but get it a week later on the 23rd. Tried to go through Apple but there system was a shit show.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 09-09-16, 09:47 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

I'd need to see a jet black phone before I bought one. That thing looks it would get scratched up and scuffed just by looking at it.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-09-16, 10:08 PM   #144
Inane Thread Master

Tried to order online. They said I had to call. Bother.
Old 09-09-16, 11:13 PM   #145
Banned

i think I'm getting black and not jet black lol
Old 09-10-16, 10:47 AM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

I guess I need to call AT&T and see if that can still be used if I pre ordered the photo me already. That is a much better deal than I can get selling my 6 plus.
Old 09-10-16, 11:02 AM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

So I just called and the guy says the phone has to be from another carrier. That does not seem to be what is says online. I guess I will go into a store and ask. Curios as to how this will work with my phone not showing up til October.
Old 09-10-16, 12:15 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend

So...are the iPhone 6 and 7 exactly the same size? Meaning will my case for 6 work on the 7?

My immediate concern is using it in an upcoming running race. And the armband I use is the Quad Lock that is fitted. I'm sure they will come out w/a version for the 7 but not for a while.

NM...looks the same only a .33oz lighter
Old 09-10-16, 12:22 PM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen multiple articles saying that 6 and 6S cases won't fit the 7 but I'm pretty sure that's due to the updated camera. Size wise it's the same so obviously for your race you can probably still use the armband since you won't be needing the camera. But long term you'll need a new one.
Old 09-10-16, 03:13 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
I've seen multiple articles saying that 6 and 6S cases won't fit the 7 but I'm pretty sure that's due to the updated camera. Size wise it's the same so obviously for your race you can probably still use the armband since you won't be needing the camera. But long term you'll need a new one.
I would suspect cases with large camera holes should work on the 7. Or if in a pinch, make the hole larger until you can get an iPhone 7 case