Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-07-16, 08:04 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Iphone 7 features revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
A splitter should be in the box though. I'm sure we'll have to fork over $20 for an official one.

I mean it's one thing to change the jack for headphones. But to actually remove functionality which existed in previous models (ability to charge with headphones plugged in) is pretty bad. Oh you're on 3% and you want to listen to tunes? Tough! Should have planned your usage better!
It is an adapter, not a splitter... Lightning to 3.5mm. The adapter is included but if you need another one then it will be $9
Old 09-07-16, 08:06 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Lets think of all the times I've been charging and listening to my wired headphones since I've had the 2nd iPhone...nope, never.

Now I'm not saying what happens for me, happens to all, but if it helps with waterproofing or something else, I am ok with losing the headphone jack. The change from the 30pin to Lightning was worst I think. Same with losing charging capability over the "old" 12v 30 pin as well.
The iPhone is ip67, the s7 and note 7 is ip68 (higher water resistance) and has a headphone jack. The Note 7 also has a lot of open space in the s pen silo.
Old 09-07-16, 08:07 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I'm sure Apple put in the waterproof "feature" for all those entitled parents who buy their 5-year-olds $1000 Iphones, because those kids ARE still spilling their drinks... Sigh...

Or, maybe for those multitudes of fools who drop their phones into a portable toilet and have to jump in the shitter to recover it!
My daughter was playing with my wife's iphone 6 and threw it in the tub... Had to pay $200 deductible through insurance.
Old 09-07-16, 08:43 PM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: iPhone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
You know what I meant but ok fine. You win.
Yeah, at first I didn't even realize who I was responding to, but when I noticed...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
Old 09-07-16, 09:15 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Free iPhone 7 Plus case. The 7 case didn't work as of this post

http://slickdeals.net/f/9087123-iphone-7-7-plus-case-for-free?p=89048151&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=18&utm_content=u209293&utm_campaign=tu6&src=da_si_v2_ni_14390365
Old 09-07-16, 10:00 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Tmobile - free iPhone 7 with trade in, paid over 24 monthly bill credits

http://slickdeals.net/f/9087143-free...ile?p=89048515
Old 09-07-16, 10:27 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Tmobile - free iPhone 7 with trade in, paid over 24 monthly bill credits
Trade-in offer only good for iPhone 6 or 6s models.
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...ne-7-offer.htm
Old 09-07-16, 11:05 PM   #83
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
Someone reported that Apple wanted wireless earphones for several reasons: the 3.5mm Jack is the thickest piece in the phone, the jack takes up space, and converting digital music to analog jack decreases sound quality. Hmm. Bluetooth has better sound quality? Since when?
I post on Macrumors and a lot of people there clearly don't know how sound reproduction works. All music is analog. Our ears can only hear analog. So regardless of how your set up a chain of gear for music reproduction, if you have a digital signal at some point it has to be converted to analog. Up through the 6s, that conversion was done inside the phone, and outputted the analog signal to the headphone jack. Now that conversion is being pushed outside of the phone, either through the 3.5mm adapter or by using headphones with a lightning cable that has the DAC built in.

I purchased the Audeze Sine, which has an optional lightning cable with a built in DAC. It also has an accompanying app on the iPhone that allows you to EQ the headphones as well. IMO it sounds significantly better than anything I've ever plugged into the headphone jack (it also costs a lot more than most headphones you'd consider using with an iPhone), so I don't have much problem losing the 3.5mm jack. However I will need to find a power passthrough cable so I can run the 3.5mm adapter, or the Sine, or an external DAC/amp, and still charge the phone at the same time. So it's less convenient but I feel like the improvements in the camera are worth it.

It should be noted that I have the Apple upgrade program, and I'm a year into it, which means if I don't upgrade I'm still paying for another full year, at which point I'll likely want to upgrade anyway, so it's actually easier for me to upgrade now rather than trying to sell the 6s Plus next year when the 7s or 8 comes out.

I do think $159 wireless earbuds is a disaster waiting to happen. Most people who use Apple earbuds do so because they're free, and if someone is willing to spend more for headphones they're likely not looking for the wireless equivalent of the free earbuds you get with your phone. People will also lose those left and right.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-07-16 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 02:02 AM   #84
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
It is an adapter, not a splitter... Lightning to 3.5mm. The adapter is included but if you need another one then it will be $9
We were discussing whether there would be an accessory to charge the phone and use headphones at the same time.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-08-16, 04:25 AM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Aha... so that's the REAL reason Apple eliminated the very useful headphone jack... so they can sell a bunch of crappy $160 wireless earphones?

Yep, that fits Apple's MO perfectly. To a tee.
So you already got a pair? Didn't know they were out yet. How is the volume? Sound quality? At what distance do they work? How quickly do they charge?
Old 09-08-16, 04:34 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

This is the first iPhone I'll probably not order as soon as available.

I really like the idea of the two cameras in the 7 plus, but I have almost zero interest in getting a bigger phone. Maybe being thinner and lighter than my 6 would sway me, but I doubt it.

The added water proofing is nice. But I seat like a pig when I workout and never had an issue. I even got caught in a severe thunderstorm running the RnR half marathon in Chicago. I use an open case design armband (no cover over the phone at all) and phone suffered no ill effects. I buy Apple Care+ anyway.

While I'm excited I won't need my phone for GPS runs with the new Apple Watch, I imagine I will have phone with me most of the time. So really don't want bigger.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-08-16 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 05:40 AM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

If Apple wants to ditch the headphone jacks, where does that leave iPods?

I have a difficult time believing they could put out another generation of portable music players without a headphone jack; also don't see them bothering to bluetooth things like the shuffles and nanos.

Will they finally retire the iPod line in the near future?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-08-16, 07:56 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If Apple wants to ditch the headphone jacks, where does that leave iPods?
I don't think the iPods are as cramped for space. Plus, they haven't update the iPod Shuffle since 2010, nor the iPod Nano since 2012. I could see them maybe dropping the headphone jack on the iPod Touch on the next update, since it's mostly an iPhone without the phone, but that may not be until 2018 based on Apple's track record.
Old 09-08-16, 09:11 AM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, after rewatching the video for the camera in the iPhone 7, I might be impressed enough to buy sooner than later.

What's the best way to buy? I have ATT and grandfathered to the original no data limit. If I buy through Apple will my ATT bill go down? I'm guessing no.

Assuming I want to buy from Apple, a quick look seems to be the Apple iPhone Upgrade program is the way to go. I priced the 128g model and came up with the same price paying up front or over 24 months. + you get Apple Care Plus and assume you trade in you phone each year?

I guess paying out right, let's you sell you phone for perhaps more than Apple will give you?
Old 09-08-16, 09:12 AM   #90

I have the iphone 5s and I was thinking of upgrading to the iphone 7 but with the removal of the headphone jack and only having one port for charging, I am thinking of staying with the iphone 5s since it is still working fine for me.
Old 09-08-16, 09:31 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
Someone reported that Apple wanted wireless earphones for several reasons: the 3.5mm Jack is the thickest piece in the phone, the jack takes up space, and converting digital music to analog jack decreases sound quality. Hmm. Bluetooth has better sound quality? Since when?
I know all the phone manufacturers are moving to thinner and thinner phones, but I'd like to seem them make their phones a little thicker and put in a battery that will let me play games on my phone for more than an hour and a half. For example, the iphone 5 was perfectly thin enough. Make the 7 that thickness and you could probably come close to doubling the battery capacity.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 09-08-16, 11:30 AM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I know all the phone manufacturers are moving to thinner and thinner phones, but I'd like to seem them make their phones a little thicker and put in a battery that will let me play games on my phone for more than an hour and a half. For example, the iphone 5 was perfectly thin enough. Make the 7 that thickness and you could probably come close to doubling the battery capacity.
The iPhone 5 is 0.5mm (0.02") thicker than the iPhone 7...I don't think that increasing the thickness by 0.5mm (0.02") would come close to doubling battery capacity.
Old 09-08-16, 12:12 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
The iPhone 5 is 0.5mm (0.02") thicker than the iPhone 7...I don't think that increasing the thickness by 0.5mm (0.02") would come close to doubling battery capacity.
Sure, if you want to base your opinion on "facts."

Edit to add: I think I would be happy to sacrifice a couple of mm thickness for a much larger battery. I don't think that I am alone.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 09-08-16, 12:19 PM   #94
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

http://appleplugs.com/
Old 09-08-16, 12:22 PM   #95
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

Edit to add: I think I would be happy to sacrifice a couple of mm thickness for a much larger battery. I don't think that I am alone.
Yeah, i've always had the same thought.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-08-16, 12:39 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

I wouldn't mind a thicker phone either... But just pointing out that you would be significantly increasing the thickness over the iPhone 5 thickness, if you wanted to close to double the battery capacity, and added weight.

Personally I would welcome a phone that could last my heavy usage without charging, but haven't been able to find one yet.
Old 09-08-16, 01:41 PM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That should be NSFW.
Old 09-08-16, 01:46 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

I still have a 5 16GB. I'm thinking about getting the 7 but I am also thinking about just getting the 6s. I could get the 6 or 6 Plus for a much lower price and just worry about renewing my contract for another 2 years.

We'll see.
Old 09-08-16, 01:53 PM   #99
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I Stuck Apple's AirPods in My Ears and It Shockingly Wasn't Terrible

I still have reservations that these will fit in my ears unabated as Apple's buds never have but it's nice to see that the sound is at least better than the wired version and a lot of people are having positive experiences with them.

Quote:
Let me put it this way: AirPods sound way better than wired EarPods. I know that isn’t saying much, but it’s worth noting when you consider that the design is very, very similar.
Old 09-08-16, 01:54 PM   #100
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, double post