Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-07-16, 04:57 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Iphone 7 features revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
According to the info on apple's site, the ear buds included with the new 7's are wired, with a lightning connector instead of a headphone jack. Also included in the box is a headphone jack to lightning adapter. No mention of a pass thru connector. Yet anyway.

Pricing is up on the website as well for many of the purchase options.
The adapter is $9,should you lose yours.

The 7 Plus increased base price to $769,7 same at $649.

The 7 Plus does have 2 cameras, one regular, 2x optical (fixed)

Though ,it is now 32/128 /256
Old 09-07-16, 05:00 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Re: iPhone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Completely wireless though... Competition for a zero wire Bluetooth earphones are pretty slim, and expensive
Not that expensive. I found this pair with the same 5 hour battery life for $70:
https://smile.amazon.com/Headphones-...dp/B01HTFBC5A/

It's missing the portable charging case, although you could plug a portable charger into the case it comes with if you really want to.
Old 09-07-16, 05:01 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

159 for the AirPods. Ouch.
Old 09-07-16, 05:05 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Completely wireless though... Competition for a zero wire Bluetooth earphones are pretty slim, and expensive
I personally don't mind the wires of my Motorola Bluetooth headphones. It's never been intrusive to me. Also, I wouldn't want to have to keep track of $180 headphones the size of earplugs.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 09-07-16, 05:08 PM   #55
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Not that expensive. I found this pair with the same 5 hour battery life for $70:

It's missing the portable charging case, although you could plug a portable charger into the case it comes with if you really want to.
There's a reason those are only $70...
Old 09-07-16, 05:08 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
According to the info on apple's site, the ear buds included with the new 7's are wired, with a lightning connector instead of a headphone jack. Also included in the box is a headphone jack to lightning adapter. No mention of a pass thru connector. Yet anyway.

Pricing is up on the website as well for many of the purchase options.
So you really can't charge and listen to wired earbuds then? That's pretty lame.
Old 09-07-16, 05:12 PM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope Sprint still does the two year service agreements for people grandfathered in.

Proud to be a Wichita State Shocker

My dining blog: Wichita By EB
Old 09-07-16, 05:13 PM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
There's a reason those are only $70...
I wasn't arguing quality, only price.

But as a counter, here's a Samsung model that's $200, but includes a charging case, 4GB of music storage for standalone playback, and a fitness tracker:
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Cor...dp/B01F8FWSGA/
http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-iconx/
Old 09-07-16, 05:14 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I personally don't mind the wires of my Motorola Bluetooth headphones.
I've read some arguing that a wire is actually preferable, since it makes it less likely to be lost if it falls out of one ear.
Old 09-07-16, 05:20 PM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

But as a counter, here's a Samsung model that's $200, but includes a charging case, 4GB of music storage for standalone playback, and a fitness tracker:
So an extra $40 for extra features I (personally) don't need or are just being replicated from what's already on the phone. This is obviously a very personal choice but I still wouldn't be sold. Still though iPhone have never fit my ears so I don't think I could get these if I wanted to.
Old 09-07-16, 05:21 PM   #61
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
So you really can't charge and listen to wired earbuds then? That's pretty lame.
That was one of the things I thought of too, since I know a lot of folks would have a portable charger plugged in while watching/streaming stuff on their phone.

I mean, i'm sure there will be some sort of splitter, but still. I'm not really sold that the benefits of ditching the 3.5mm jack outweighs the inconvenience, but if any company can force trends it's Apple. I hope more Android phones don't follow.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-07-16, 05:25 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
That was one of the things I thought of too, since I know a lot of folks would have a portable charger plugged in while watching/streaming stuff on their phone.

I mean, i'm sure there will be some sort of splitter, but still. I'm not really sold that the benefits of ditching the 3.5mm jack outweighs the inconvenience, but if any company can force trends it's Apple. I hope more Android phones don't follow.
A splitter should be in the box though. I'm sure we'll have to fork over $20 for an official one.

I mean it's one thing to change the jack for headphones. But to actually remove functionality which existed in previous models (ability to charge with headphones plugged in) is pretty bad. Oh you're on 3% and you want to listen to tunes? Tough! Should have planned your usage better!
Old 09-07-16, 05:26 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Comparing apples to apples... A quality set, Not some low quality junk that doesn't work well and looks terrible

Or you can also buy a $50 smartphone, no need to buy an iPhone...
Old 09-07-16, 05:29 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Right... Once you compare the two.. The Apple at $159 is roughly priced in the same ballpark, slightly cheaper for slightly less features.
Old 09-07-16, 05:37 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Comparing apples to apples... A quality set, Not some low quality junk that doesn't work well and looks terrible

Or you can also buy a $50 smartphone, no need to buy an iPhone...
Again, you only stated that the only options were expensive:
Quote:
Completely wireless though... Competition for a zero wire Bluetooth earphones are pretty slim, and expensive.
If you had said something like "competition for a touchscreen smartphone are pretty slim, and expensive," I absolutely would've cited a $50 smartphone.

I use a $15 pair of on-ear Bluetooth headphones, with a band that runs around the back of my head. I know that they're not as advanced or neat as the Airpods, but they work fine for my needs and are a tenth of the price.

Apple also charges $30 for their wired Earpods, when you can get a cheap pair of earbuds for $2. Are the Earpods better? Probably. Are they worth the premium? Maybe, to some. That doesn't mean cheaper alternatives don't exist.
Old 09-07-16, 06:41 PM   #66
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lets think of all the times I've been charging and listening to my wired headphones since I've had the 2nd iPhone...nope, never.

Now I'm not saying what happens for me, happens to all, but if it helps with waterproofing or something else, I am ok with losing the headphone jack. The change from the 30pin to Lightning was worst I think. Same with losing charging capability over the "old" 12v 30 pin as well.
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 09-07-16, 06:42 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Again, you only stated that the only options were expensive:

If you had said something like "competition for a touchscreen smartphone are pretty slim, and expensive," I absolutely would've cited a $50 smartphone.

I use a $15 pair of on-ear Bluetooth headphones, with a band that runs around the back of my head. I know that they're not as advanced or neat as the Airpods, but they work fine for my needs and are a tenth of the price.

Apple also charges $30 for their wired Earpods, when you can get a cheap pair of earbuds for $2. Are the Earpods better? Probably. Are they worth the premium? Maybe, to some. That doesn't mean cheaper alternatives don't exist.
You know what I meant but ok fine. You win.

On another note, more cheap cases (not as cheap but some prefer Caseology)

http://slickdeals.net/f/9086451-caseology-cases-for-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-from-3-99-free-shipping?p=89039679&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=18&utm_content=u209293&utm_campaign=tu6&src=da_si_v2_14390365
Old 09-07-16, 07:00 PM   #68
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I find most surprising is how many people need their phone to be waterproof.

Why?

Are you talking under water? Do your clothes not have pockets for storage while using the restroom? Are you 3 years old, and still spilling your drink?

I'd rather have a fat earphone jack.
Old 09-07-16, 07:21 PM   #69
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't forget as well, I'm pretty sure losing the audio jack helps fit in the stereo speakers.

I'm fine with it, as someone else mentioned I rarely if ever need to charge and have anything audio plugged in. But I know I'm not everyone.
Old 09-07-16, 07:29 PM   #70
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
What I find most surprising is how many people need their phone to be waterproof.

Why?

Are you talking under water? Do your clothes not have pockets for storage while using the restroom? Are you 3 years old, and still spilling your drink?

I'd rather have a fat earphone jack.
I'm sure Apple put in the waterproof "feature" for all those entitled parents who buy their 5-year-olds $1000 Iphones, because those kids ARE still spilling their drinks... Sigh...

Or, maybe for those multitudes of fools who drop their phones into a portable toilet and have to jump in the shitter to recover it!
Old 09-07-16, 07:33 PM   #71
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
$160 wireless earbuds that last 5 hours?
Aha... so that's the REAL reason Apple eliminated the very useful headphone jack... so they can sell a bunch of crappy $160 wireless earphones?

Yep, that fits Apple's MO perfectly. To a tee.
Old 09-07-16, 07:55 PM   #72

David Pogue on Why the headphone jack must die.

I wonder about FM radio, currently the few phones with FM activated uses the headphone jack/phones for the antenna. Can the charging port/cord be used for the same purpose?
Old 09-07-16, 07:56 PM   #73
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone reported that Apple wanted wireless earphones for several reasons: the 3.5mm Jack is the thickest piece in the phone, the jack takes up space, and converting digital music to analog jack decreases sound quality. Hmm. Bluetooth has better sound quality? Since when?
Old 09-07-16, 08:00 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
Someone reported that Apple wanted wireless earphones for several reasons: the 3.5mm Jack is the thickest piece in the phone, the jack takes up space, and converting digital music to analog jack decreases sound quality. Hmm. Bluetooth has better sound quality? Since when?
A lightning headphone should in theory have the best sound over headphone jack , everything else being equal.

Using the adapter to 3.5mm, the dac is just moved to the adapter
Old 09-07-16, 08:03 PM   #75
DVD Talk Special Edition

12MP camera. Sounds nice, but also sounds like a space hog. Does anyone know how much space a 12MP picture takes up?