Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer not booting up

Old 08-29-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Computer not booting up

Help, my lenovo desktop computer is not booting up. At first it was continually attempting a repair... i powered it down a few times and now all it does is a blue screen with a spinning circle.. i tried f8 and nothing.. any ideas?
Old 08-29-16, 10:02 PM

Re: Computer not booting up

Got it to do something, but it said do a search on ntfs file system error

Now the computer is attempting to do a repair.
Screen sais Lenovo and under repairing disk errors, this could take over an hour..

Guess we will see...

Anyone know what kind of hard drive enclisure i could buy to read the hard drives? I am not familiar with the connector on these hard drives. It wasnt a ribbon style connector. But something smaller... that plugs into a board..
Old 08-29-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.xtremerain.com/how-to-fi...system-errors/

Have you recently upgraded your OS from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10? That is a fairly common problem seen after the upgrade. It could mean your hard drive is corrupted. Basically the partition holding critical files has become corrupted.

You'll have to post what OS you are using for more concrete answers.
Old 08-30-16, 07:05 AM

No i upgraded to 10 a long time ago. Computer has been running 10 fine. I am not sure. If my wife turned the computer off furing an up grade... how do i fix it?
Old 08-30-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's possible the harddrive is failing, which often results in corrupted files. I'd run a diagnostic on the drive first. Typically I use the ultimate boot CD on a bootable USB drive to run one of the diagnostic tools included.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If your harddrive is from the past decade, it likely uses a SATA connector. The older "ribbon style" plug is referred to as PATA or IDE nowadays. Almost all HDD enclosures or docks nowadays use SATA connectors; you have to really search to find a PATA compatible enclosure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
Old 08-30-16, 05:40 PM

Ok, its probably a sata then... i,will have to look for a 3.5 sata enclosure. I have sabretec ide enclosure that works well with an ide druve... but i need sata
Old 08-30-16, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Ok, its probably a sata then... i,will have to look for a 3.5 sata enclosure. I have sabretec ide enclosure that works well with an ide druve... but i need sata
You don't necessarily need a "enclosure" but can use somthing like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a "SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter" (there's also a USB 3 version at that link for only a couple of $$ more) which supports both laptop and desktop form factor drives. Since it works with both SATA and IDE you can use it to get data off any old IDE/PATA drives you may have laying around.

It's sometimes possible to do a manual system restore (if there are restore points and the issue is *not* corrupted files but issues with the registry) - but you'd need either Windows boot media *or* the Ultimate Bood CD that Jay G. mentioned to get to the folders which hold those files. It's also a somewhat advanced procedure and not to be done lightly as you can really mess up the system if you don't do it correctly. If you can get needed files off *first* it's good to do so just in case.
Old 08-30-16, 06:12 PM

Now the computer isn't even turning on. I just here the fan running. nothing on the screen
Old 08-30-16, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It's possible the harddrive is failing, which often results in corrupted files. I'd run a diagnostic on the drive first. Typically I use the ultimate boot CD on a bootable USB drive to run one of the diagnostic tools included.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If your harddrive is from the past decade, it likely uses a SATA connector. The older "ribbon style" plug is referred to as PATA or IDE nowadays. Almost all HDD enclosures or docks nowadays use SATA connectors; you have to really search to find a PATA compatible enclosure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

do I have to pay for this ultimate boot cd? I dont see how to download it.

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-30-16 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

do I have to pay for this ultimate boot cd? I dont see how to download it.
Go to this page:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Scroll down to "mirror sites" and then click on the download icon that looks like this:
Old 08-30-16, 10:29 PM

Now the computer isn't even turning on. I just here the fan running. nothing on the screen

I am probably dead in the water.... now I need to figure out what to do next... anyone with ideas?

I bought a SATA external hard drive to see if my other computer can read it. My desktop has 2- 500gB hard drives.. I will have to see how it was partitioned.. and see if they both work.
Next, figure out if I can pull my iTunes library and create a duplicate on my laptop.. Anyone with ideas on how to do this?

I found someone who will look at my computer for free and let me know what it needs for repair. I may go that route, but only after I try and extact data from my harddrives.
Old 08-31-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say that either the hard drive you boot Windows from is shot, or that Windows has somehow become corrupted and won't boot.

If it won't even try to boot up, it could also be something like the BIOS.
Old 08-31-16, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My desktop has 2- 500gB hard drives.. I will have to see how it was partitioned..
Ugh, hopefully it wasn't set up as a RAID 0. Is this a "gaming" desktop by chance? Do you remember if, in Windows, it looked like you had a singe 500GB drive, 2 500GB drive, or a single 1TB drive?

If it was set up as a RAID 0, you're going to need some RAID recovery software.
Old 08-31-16, 07:16 AM

I think it might of been advertised as a gaming computer.. i found my receipt....purchased in Aug, 2013. Its a lenovo idea centre k430.

It looked like 1 1tb hard drive.

Are you saying i will not be able to read tge hard drive with another computer? Ie i buy that external enclosure?

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-31-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, according to the datasheet for that PC, it seems likely that the two 500GB HDDs in it were set up as a RAID 0:
https://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/W..._Datasheet.pdf
Optional twin hard drives in RAID 0 configuration; Up to 4TB HDD storage [500GB/RAID 0-500GBx2, 1TB/RAID 0-1TBx2 (7200rpm)]
RAID 0 doesn't put whole files onto either harddrive, but rather "stripes" them accross both. Therefore, you need both drives functioning and readable through a RAID interface. A single drive plugged into a USB enclosure isn't going to show anything on the drive, and worse, Windows may ask to "initialize" the drive, which will write over potentially important data on the drive.

I personally have never had to recover a RAID, but there's RAID recovery software out there. You'll need to have both drives attached, and you'll need a target drive, likely at least 1TB in size, in your instance, to copy over the entire contents of the RAID.

I found this free RAID Recovery Software:
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...Recovery.shtml

Runtime Software also has two RAID Recovery programs, both with trial versions that let you see if recovery is possible before paying for the program. "RAID Recovery for Windows" seems like the best option of the two for your situation:
https://www.runtime.org/raid-recovery-windows.htm
https://www.runtime.org/raid.htm

This is assuming that both drives spin up and can be read from without interruption. If one drive has failed or is failing, you may need to do a sector-by-sector recovery of that drive before recovering the RAID.
Old 08-31-16, 12:59 PM

Wtf

So the enclosure I just bought will do me no good. Do I need 2 of them? Should I buy something else?

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 08-31-16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two enclosures may work, if both drives still work.

Another option is making a disk image of at least one of the drives, and then use the disk image in combination with the other connected externally, or both as disk images. The main thing is you'll need enough space for the individual disk images, as well as the recovered RAID image.

What are you going to attach the drives to? If the drive is failing, I tend to try and connect it as directly to the PC as possible, i.e. via SATA. So something like sticking them in another desktop that has available drive slots and SATA ports.
Old 08-31-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, keep in mind that if this is important data that you don't have backed up elsewhere, you may want to seriously consider if its worth the risk of attempting to recover the data yourself, or if you should take it to some professionals.

Professional data recovery is going to cost you an arm and a leg, but is most likely to get your data back. Going the do-it-yourself route can be a lot cheaper, but there's the chance you could do something that makes it even more difficult for a professional to recover the data if the DIY method fails.
Old 08-31-16, 04:22 PM

I backed up, just about everything on that computer, about 6 months ago. so I can probably live without it. but I hate to throw the computer away if all it is is a corrupted BIOS or something..

I found a guy who will look it over for free and let me know what is wrong with it.. I guess I will go from there.
Old 08-31-16, 05:50 PM

What if i concede to loosing the data.. how would i go about seeing if this thing can boot up? What do i need
Old 08-31-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Andremike - not necessarily a simple task over a medium such as a forum

but there are lots of options.

What is the current status of the machine?

Will it POST?

Can you get into the BIOS and verify the BIOS can still detect 2 separate hard drives?

Do you hear any strange noises coming from the hard drives? Screeching, squealing, rubbing, metal on metal sounds ?
Old 08-31-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What if i concede to loosing the data.. how would i go about seeing if this thing can boot up? What do i need
Pull the power and data cords from both hard drives, so we can take those out of the equation.

Boot the machine, and you should see the BIOS POST screen and/or an error message saying that no bootable volume was found. If that works, then try putting in a bootable CD/DVD, like the aforementioned Ultimate Boot CD, or any rescue disc, or a Live Linux image, or anything that's bootable. If your computer boots successfully off of that optical disc (you may need to adjust your boot options), then your problem is likely with your hard drive(s).

If the above does not work, do you at least get fan noise when you power on your computer? If not, you may have a power supply problem. If you get a fan, but nothing on the screen, you may have a graphics card or motherboard failure. Or maybe a dead CMOS battery.
Old 08-31-16, 08:05 PM

I tried 4 times to make the boot CD and its not working... I used BurnCDCC or [email protected] ISO Burner. and neither worked
Old 08-31-16, 08:36 PM

so let me take a step back
1. I had blue screen, with spinning circle. at first turn on, fans would spin up and then slow down when blue screen came up
2. ctrl/alt/delete allowed me to turn off and verify wifi and Ethernet was connected
3. Couldn't get passed bluescreen then it finally told me ntfs file system error
4, said it will attempt repair and could take over an hour
5. I went to bed.
6. wife turned off the computer in the morning.
7. tried to turn it on and nothing was happening black screen nothing. fan would speed up and continue to be very loud...
8. disconnected both hard drives and still nothing
9. my computer ha a video connection on the motherboard and a video card. I tried both
10 did I mention my keyboard no longer lights up? numlock does nothing anymore

that's all I have...
Old 08-31-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One other trick you can try that sometimes fixes strange things. Power down, unplug AC and pull all RAM, wait about 2 minutes, while waiting hold in the power button while unplugged.
Replace memory and power up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.