DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-17-16, 12:42 AM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Please help, adding RAm to an older Dell.

Came across an older Dell Optiplex 755 which I plan on using as a secondary machine. Just wiped out everything & installed Win 10. It runs pretty good with the 2GB RAM that's in there now but figured I would add some more (max is 8GB I believe). Anyway, I'm not sure if the specs have to match exactly to what's in there now.
Here's what's currently in the machine. Thanks!
Old 08-17-16, 12:54 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Please help, adding RAm to an older Dell.

You can check out crucial.com. They will recommend compatible ram and are good quality though a bit pricey.

Otherwise you can buy ram from anywhere with similar specs as yours. Can't really read from the picture. A matching pair would work best though.
Old 08-17-16, 01:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
You can check out crucial.com. They will recommend compatible ram and are good quality though a bit pricey.

Otherwise you can buy ram from anywhere with similar specs as yours. Can't really read from the picture. A matching pair would work best though.
Thank you, I thought I would buy used from eBay to save $. BTW, the picture is a thumbnail.
Would this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-2x-2GB-D...IAAOxyoahSVLW4
Old 08-17-16, 07:37 AM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those would work, but you will need two sets to get you to 8GB, and you can do a little better on price. Just search for "4x2GB PC2-5300" to find an 8GB kit, and stay away from anything that says ECC, buffered, server, and/or SODIMM.

Also, you will need to be running the 64-bit version of Windows 10 in order to see and use all 8GB.

Last edited by printerati; 08-17-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 10:03 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Thank you, I thought I would buy used from eBay to save $. BTW, the picture is a thumbnail.
Would this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-2x-2GB-D...IAAOxyoahSVLW4
Not familiar with the seller but spec wise it should work. Buy 2 pair of 2x2gb to give you 8gb,so you would have a matching set
Old 08-18-16, 11:35 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 01-20-17, 12:23 PM   #7

So I ordered this RAM...

...& finally after over a month I received it & it doesn't work... I thought I ordered the correct RAM so either I made a mistake or the RAM is no good. Can you guys chime in before I contact the seller? Thanks!
Old 01-20-17, 01:38 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Buying RAM from China was your first problem. You can never be sure what you will get.

I use Crucial and NewEgg (first party). Sure it's more expensive but you know what you are getting.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-20-17, 01:55 PM   #9
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you installed it in pairs? Does the computer POST? If so can you run memtest?
Old 01-20-17, 01:56 PM   #10
DVD Talk Godfather

What happened when you installed it, does the system just not recognize the additional RAM or does it not boot at all? Have you tried just the new sticks of RAM installed and removed the old ones? Just figured it would be worthwhile to try and troubleshoot whether they're actually defective.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-20-17, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Buying RAM from China was your first problem. You can never be sure what you will get.

I use Crucial and NewEgg (first party). Sure it's more expensive but you know what you are getting.
Thanks for the reply, but it wasnt much help. Basically I just need to know if this RAM is compatible with my PC (which it should be) & if I should ask for a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Have you installed it in pairs? Does the computer POST? If so can you run memtest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
What happened when you installed it, does the system just not recognize the additional RAM or does it not boot at all? Have you tried just the new sticks of RAM installed and removed the old ones? Just figured it would be worthwhile to try and troubleshoot whether they're actually defective.
I did. First I installed with the new/existing and it only read the existing. Then I installed just the new, PC wouldnt even boot up.
Old 01-20-17, 02:37 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but it wasnt much help. Basically I just need to know if this RAM is compatible with my PC (which it should be) & if I should ask for a refund.
Well, that's what I said, you don't know what you are going to get, and you got shit. So refund.

It's not about compatibility, it's about the fact you got garbage RAM with no checks.

Old 01-20-17, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Well, that's what I said, you don't know what you are going to get, and you got shit. So refund.

It's not about compatibility, it's about the fact you got garbage RAM with no checks.
I can't just request a refund using the reason "I got shit". If the RAM is in fact compatible with my PC then the RAM is faulty, but if I mistakenly ordered the incorrect RAM then that is my fault. I am asking you guys if this RAM is compatible with my machine.
Old 01-20-17, 05:13 PM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I can't just request a refund using the reason "I got shit". If the RAM is in fact compatible with my PC then the RAM is faulty, but if I mistakenly ordered the incorrect RAM then that is my fault. I am asking you guys if this RAM is compatible with my machine.
Yes, JZ what you ordered is compatible with your machine.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat...form-factor%29

It should work. As it does not, I believe it is defective if you have seated the RAM correctly and your BiOS is properly configured.

Old 01-20-17, 05:46 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Test the RAM one at a time, with only one stick of RAM in the PC. See if it POSTS. If it does, separate it out/mark it in some way and move on to the next stick. If the PC doesn't even POST, the RAM is really bad.

Also, make sure you're putting RAM in the correct slots. PCs have certain orders RAM has to go in, and it's not always the first physical slot that gets filled first.

For the RAM that POSTs, put it all in and run Memtest86+ on it from a boot disc/USB drive.
http://www.memtest.org/

Make sure you get at least one PASS. If you get a FAIL, you should again take all the RAM out, then put the RAM in, one stick at a time, and run Memtest86+ on it.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if any of those $3 sticks of RAM work, and if they do, I wouldn't expect them to work for long.
Old 01-20-17, 05:52 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, this used Kingston RAM for $9 a stick is probably a better bet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141471761473

See page 314 of this service manual for the order to install RAM sticks:
http://www.levnapc.cz/ProductsFiles/...sni-manual.pdf
Old 01-21-17, 02:02 AM   #17

Thank you, all you guys have been a huge help. I've tried all suggestions, & the RAM is definitely no good. I'm going to try the Kingston Jay G recommended.
I've had problems with the last 3 or 4 eBay purchases I've made from sellers in China whether the item was nothing like described, non-functioning, etc. Now I know better.
Old 01-21-17, 09:47 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Are you still trying to upgrade a Dell? I used to work there, and I'll be straight up with you - they make it very hard to upgrade any of their desktops. Main reason is "why upgrade when you can just buy a new one." That's why I stopped buying Dell and building them myself. Their motherboards are proprietary, so you can't usually just make changes to them, but some did allow minor upgrades like memory. But if you have the extra slots, you need to make sure the memory has the same matching speeds. But I'm not sure if you're adding or replacing memory. Per your OP, it's 8 gigs max. So is that 2 or 4 slots you have in there?
Old 01-21-17, 02:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Are you still trying to upgrade a Dell? I used to work there, and I'll be straight up with you - they make it very hard to upgrade any of their desktops. Main reason is "why upgrade when you can just buy a new one." That's why I stopped buying Dell and building them myself. Their motherboards are proprietary, so you can't usually just make changes to them, but some did allow minor upgrades like memory. But if you have the extra slots, you need to make sure the memory has the same matching speeds. But I'm not sure if you're adding or replacing memory. Per your OP, it's 8 gigs max. So is that 2 or 4 slots you have in there?

This Dell PC was given to me for free. I am adding memory and ordered the Kingston RAM that Jay G recommended. There are 4 slots.
This is what I ordered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141471761473
Old 01-23-17, 12:10 AM   #20

So I put in a return request, although it was so cheap I probably shouldn't have even bothered. The seller replied with this message:

"Hi, we are so sorry to hear about that. Are there any problem with the item ? Could your pls tell your problem detail ? Type: DDR2 for the AMD only to AMD SDRAM / special conditions) DRAM We will solve it much soon. Waitng for your soon reply."

I think this might be my fault. I noticed in his reply it states for AMD only so I went back to the item description and here's what it says:

features:
-Unbuffered Data integrity
-Originally chip(Both sides 16 chips)2-channel support
-Fully tested Special conditions of AMD
-Capacity: 2GB
-Memory Speed: 667 MHz Memory
-Type: DDR2 for the AMD only to AMD SDRAM / special conditions

The computer does not have an AMD processor. Guess that's why it isn't working.
Old 01-23-17, 06:28 AM   #21
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The type of processor (Intel vs. AMD) makes no difference here. The motherboard specifies the type of memory it is designed to use. If it was an Apple computer then memory will be different, but not in your case. DDR2 is DDR2, memory is not processor-specific. In all my years working on computers I have never installed memory based on the processor, always the motherboard.

If this seller is going to press it, you may just want to write it off to a bad learning experience and move on.

My DVD/BD Collection

Last edited by kd5; 01-23-17 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-23-17, 08:51 AM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Typically, the CPU brand shouldn't affect the RAM at all. Both AMD and Intel CPU/motherboard combos will accept all name-brand RAM sold in the US.

I only found one reference to AMD "special conditions" online, in this thread which offers some competing theories on what it means:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...d-only.114684/

There's no consensus though, and DDR2 RAM is a standard on its own that the RAM, the CPU, and motherboard all must comply to.

I think it might be a dodge by the seller. If they put "AMD only" in small print in their listing, if people get bad sticks they can blame it on them having an Intel CPU, which the majority will.

If you know anyone with a desktop with an AMD CPU and DDR2 RAM, they could test the RAM on their system. A repair shop may also do it for you, but possibly for a charge.
Old 01-23-17, 10:22 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, as others said, the type of processor makes no difference. They are trying to scam you. Elevate the claim.

Old 01-25-17, 01:32 AM   #24

OK thaks again. The seller seems to be cooperating and offered a refund.
Old 01-25-17, 05:21 PM   #25
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is why you always just go to Crucial and run their scan. It'll not only tell you what kind of RAM you need, it'll tell you what the max amount is for that motherboard, which slots are in use and which are empty, and how to actually add the RAM (in pairs or not, put them in slot 1 & slot 2 or slot 1 & slot 3, etc.).

If you don't wanna pay their prices, you can always take their part number and search Amazon with it. I had a netbook I wanted to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB (max supported by the device). Crucial wanted $39.95 for their 2GB stick, but Amazon had the exact same product (in retail packaging and everything) for $12.

I use Crucial exclusively for all my client desktops. Not only do I know I'm buying the right thing, their customer service\RMA process has been top-notch on the rare occasions I've needed it.