Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Uninstalling a program issues

Old 07-04-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uninstalling a program issues

Alright, I'm at a loss and hoping someone at DVDTalk can figure this out.

My computer keeps trying to update to Windows 10, constantly. It's so annoying. I'm willing to make the update, however when I start the process it says it cannot continue until I uninstall Daemon Tools.

I don't even remember what I used that program for, but I cannot find it. It does not show up among the programs when I select "uninstall programs"

I've tried using some 3rd party uninstallers hoping it would pop up there, but no luck.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this program so I can update my computer to W10?
Old 07-05-16, 09:13 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Uninstalling a program issues

Weird. This might help.
http://www.daemon-help.com/installation/uninstall/
Old 07-05-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Negative. The folder or program is nowhere to be found on my computer, but Windows Update insists that it's on my hard drive and needs to be uninstalled first before it can update.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 07-05-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's not in your installed program list and if you're not sure you even installed it yourself - then I'm wondering if it's simply malware running from a Windows subfolder or hiding in the AppData folder, temp, etc.

Have you tried running a Malware scan on your machine?
Old 07-05-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, I know I did install it myself, years ago. I just don't remember the exact reason I did.

I'll try the malware scan.
Old 07-05-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which third party uninstallers have you tried? I like IOBitUninstaller, since it sees 32 and 64 bit programs.

Do you have a Daemon Tools icon on the desktop somewhere? If so, right click on it, then properties, and see where the path file is. Maybe deleting it will work.
Old 07-05-16, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Install it again, then do an uninstall.
Old 07-06-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of us used Dameon Tools to mount virtual drives to our PCs to run .iso files as DVDs or to run older versions of windows like Win98. MS is supposed to be coming out with a new Windows 10 nag screen in the coming weeks which will allow you to once and for all say no the upgrade if you decide to go that route.
Old 07-06-16, 10:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Install it again, then do an uninstall.
This could work. The only other option I would imagine is to go into the registry and start deleting all references to the program, but I could see that doing more harm than good, especially if you're not comfortable messing around in there. ONLY delete entries that reference Daemon AND Tools, not just Daemon. I did a quick search on my work PC, and found about 30 entries, all of which were some sort of "cache daemon" so I would NOT delete those. Once you have them all, save changes, reboot, and try to install Windows 10 again.

Another solution, although more painful, would be to back up all of your Windows 7 data (you should be doing this before you upgrade anyway), and make sure you have the installers for all the programs you want to carry over. Then... clean install Windows 7 using whatever disc or restore partition your computer has. THEN do the Windows 10 upgrade.
It means you'll have to re-install your programs and dump all your files back into it manually. It's not a terrible process. Maybe time consuming.

Oh, and... chances are, after the Windows 10 upgrade, your wired internet connection won't work. If you only have wifi, it shouldn't matter, but I've seen it on every PC I've updated to Windows 10, and I've heard of lots of people having the issue. It's an easy fix (ethernet drivers), but you'll need to prepare for it to make it easier. Do a quick search for your computer model number and "Windows 10 ethernet driver"
Once you find a legitimate download (likely from your computer manufacturer, like Dell, HP, or whatever), copy that to a thumb drive. You'll need it after the Windows 10 installation is done.
Old 07-06-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Oh, and... chances are, after the Windows 10 upgrade, your wired internet connection won't work. If you only have wifi, it shouldn't matter, but I've seen it on every PC I've updated to Windows 10, and I've heard of lots of people having the issue.
It has happened to me exactly zero times on the 20 or so computers I have upgraded. In fact, the Windows 10 upgrade fixed the wired connectivity issue I was having under Windows 7 on one of the HP desktops.

Osiris, I assume Revo is one of the uninstallers you have tried? Alternately (and I admit this is a long shot), have you tried using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool instead of Windows Update to do the upgrade? (Use the "Download tool now" button towards the bottom of the page.)
Old 07-06-16, 05:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
It has happened to me exactly zero times on the 20 or so computers I have upgraded. In fact, the Windows 10 upgrade fixed the wired connectivity issue I was having under Windows 7 on one of the HP desktops.
Good to know.

Alternately (and I admit this is a long shot), have you tried using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool instead of Windows Update to do the upgrade? (Use the "Download tool now" button towards the bottom of the page.)
Good suggestion. As I recall, he might need to have his Windows 7 key handy, just in case. When I clean-installed W10 on my custom-built PC, I entered my Windows 8.1 key, and it worked.
Old 07-06-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sometimes the MS Tool can help
download it from the download button at this link

run it, then choose problems uninstalling a program from the menu

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...led-or-removed
Old 07-06-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Negative. The folder or program is nowhere to be found on my computer, but Windows Update insists that it's on my hard drive and needs to be uninstalled first before it can update.
How about trying this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151011...uninstallation

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Then... clean install Windows 7 using whatever disc or restore partition your computer has. THEN do the Windows 10 upgrade.
You don't need to do this for a clean install anymore. If you're installing from Windows 10 version 1511 (or higher) media, it will do a clean install and accept a Windows 7/8 key directly
Old 07-07-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979 View Post
Which third party uninstallers have you tried? I like IOBitUninstaller, since it sees 32 and 64 bit programs.

Do you have a Daemon Tools icon on the desktop somewhere? If so, right click on it, then properties, and see where the path file is. Maybe deleting it will work.
I tried that uninstaller the other day. Same thing, it does not pop up under the list of programs. Nope, no Daemon Tools icon on my desktop. I found a "cache" folder for Daemon under Program Files, but it was empty.

I will try some of the other suggestions when I get home tonight. Thanks guys!