Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Malicious Content

Old 06-30-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Malicious Content

I keep receiving this e-mail from Aabaco Small Business which is titled:

"Action Required: Malicious Software Detected on Your Website". At one point last month they took my site down for at least three days and they didn't send me the notice saying why they took it down until several days later, which really irritated me.

My website has no malicious content at all and Google Webmaster Tools confirms this. There are counters for visitors on every page, both Google Analytics counters and also Aabaco Small Business counters. There are links to Amazon, there are links to some of the other pages on my own website and so on. That's all.

I am receiving these notices a couple of times a week and am getting tired of them. Any suggestions short of finding a different website hosting company? Anybody have a phone number for these folks?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Malicious Content

They didn't give you any details about the malware?

Have you double checked all of your javascripts to ensure they didn't sneak a malicious iframe in there somewhere?

Besides malicious java, a lot of time websites that have been owned have a malicious executable dropped somewhere on the site and other malware (called droppers) will point right to the executable and grab it.

I'd browse/review for suspicious executables.

Commenting not as a webhost tech but an security incident response person here.
Old 07-01-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, the worthless twits gave not a hint about what malware I might be sporting!

I'll take your advice and check everything over. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-01-16, 12:29 PM

These free malware scanners might give you some help. Just enter your URL and they'll let you know if anything looks fishy.

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/
http://www.unmaskparasites.com/

If your website is a wordpress blog, I recommend using the Wordfence plugin:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/
Old 07-01-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If there were not more details in the notice they sent you, you should reply to the e-mail or open a support ticket to get the details about what, exactly, was reported to them.
Old 07-02-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you to "TheBigDave" - checked and nothing found.
Thank you to "TheBang" - of course it was a "noreply" e-mail address and I'll follow your advice regarding a support ticket.
Old 07-02-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wordpress is really bad about that stuff, but that said apparently Aabaco is getting slammed these days for just being terrible.

http://www.hostingreviewbox.com/revi...g-review-2015/

Somebody on that site had the same issue, apparently if you yell enough you'll get help.

Kyle Kosup
June 8, 2016 at 12:47 pm
They turned one of my sites off and claimed they detected malware. Refused to tell me name of suspected files or where on the drive, they insisted I follow a ridiculous time consuming procedure that stood 0% chance of solving the problem. After two days and five long phone calls I finally found someone who was willing to go against company directives and actually help me by giving me the information I asked for instead of telling me it was impossible. I then quickly deleted the files they thought were infected and solved the problem. Two days later another one of my sites stopped working because Yahoo’s Live web Insights script was not executing and was hanging the load of any page on the site. They have catagorically refused to turn off the Live web Insights feature or provide another means of getting my site back up. There customer “help” amounts to calculated customer abuse. The related mail service is clunky and absurd and a pain to work with. Avoid Yahoo like the plague.
They refuse to publically post their phone number, but there is an option to get it once you're logged in, or you can complain on their official Facebook or Twitter accounts:

https://www.facebook.com/ASBCares/
https://twitter.com/asbcares

Not gonna lie, throwing fits on social media is the fastest way to get a response.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-02-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-03-16, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, lol. I didn't know Aabaco was Yahoo Small Business. They really are a bottom of the barrel web host.

As a sysadmin at a web hosting business for 7 years, I always hated when customers would bring their compromised sites to our servers. I still don't recommend that you change as a way to solve your site's problem. When you get these kinds of reports, there's usually a real basis for it.

But, I do recommend that you change web hosts simply based on the fact that Aabaco sucks. There are literally dozens of web hosts out there that will give you better performance and support than Aabaco/Yahoo.