Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Personal cloud device

Old 06-07-16, 09:01 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Personal cloud device

Hey everyone, I got a really cool new gadget and wanted to share my quick review in case anyone (like me) was looking for options to cloud provider services.

I have a lot of videos, audio and files that I take with me on trips and I've always been wanting a private streaming/sharing alternative.

I was looking at cheaper items to do this kind of thing like the wifi USB stick by SanDisk and Buffalo Linkstation, but the Egg from Eggcyte is a much more full featured private handheld server.

Pros:

-- wifi hotspot to send files anywhere in the vicinity -- including video streaming to smart TVs or phones and tablets

-- online web interface to stream videos or share files via internet

-- Videos stream without a hiccup (The egg can transcode video for streaming)

-- import/export files wirelessly

-- full color screen to preview content

Cons:

-- you have to use the company domain for the web interface. but supposedly it is private and they cannot monitor your data--there are no fees.

-- Buggy. This is a new product and had some software issues but the company has released a few software updates and it seems much more stable now.

So far I've been having fun with this thing--during downtime at the office, I can seamlessly stream videos to the smart TV in the conference room. As far as geek factor, I still love having a wifi hotspot and logging my friends in to share stuff. I got the 128GB version but it comes in 64GB and 256GB as well.

I did actually buy a Buffalo linkstation too, but it is pretty much anchored at home.

So thats the basics. This is from a smaller company so maybe it's relatively unknown but I wanted to let people know the tech options out there.
Old 06-08-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Personal cloud device

Thanks for sharing, I checked it out a little. My first thought is that it seems pretty pricey! For my iOS based family I have had good luck with the Sandisk mediasmart server for taking large amounts of movies along on travels. For photos the Sandisk works okay but I've been paying apple $1 per month for extra cloud storage which seems to have solved the large number of photos to store issue. What else are you using the Egg for?
Old 06-08-16, 11:22 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Re: Personal cloud device

Mostly videos streaming for now. My relatives are non-tech savvy and the ease of streaming is really cool. I also am going on more business trips now, and the wifi hotspot is fun--no internet connection needed.

I've thought about the lack of privacy cloud companies have, and so far only use them for family photos, but if I was really concerned about something I could store/share it on my egg. If you lose the egg, you can wipe it remotely.