Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Recommendations for home internet?

Old 05-23-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Recommendations for home internet?

I'm moving next Sunday and looking for some low-cost, reliable options for home internet that don't involve the local cable companies. Not interested in cable and I want to avoid the usual nightmare of dealing with Cox/TWC "customer service".

Internet use will mainly be browsing social media on our phones, watching TV via a pair of Rokus, and playing GTA5 and COD on our Xbox One.

I see that my carrier Sprint has a R850 Mobile Hotspot for $6.00 a month. Will something like that suffice?

Low cost, reliability, and ease-of-setup are important.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Recommendations for home internet?

http://internetprovidersbyzip.com

You can use this link to search what ISP's service your area.

In my area here in Orange County, only Time Warner and AT&T service where I live for high speed internet. I went with Time Warner because they don't have data caps like AT&T.

What kind of budget can you afford? Obviously the more you can spend, the better speed and reliability you'll have. I spend $70/month and get 50MBPS download. Is that too much for you?
Old 05-23-16, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://internetprovidersbyzip.com

You can use this link to search what ISP's service your area.

In my area here in Orange County, only Time Warner and AT&T service where I live for high speed internet. I went with Time Warner because they don't have data caps like AT&T.

What kind of budget can you afford? Obviously the more you can spend, the better speed and reliability you'll have. I spend $70/month and get 50MBPS download. Is that too much for you?
Thank you!

Looks like Cox and AT&T service my area.

This seems to be the best deal at the moment for Cox: $64.98 a month for dual band modem and 50 mps.

That's reasonable to me. Was just leery of having to deal with Cox.

Adding cable and a DVR bumps that to $100 plus which is impossible to justify while also paying for HBO Now, Hulu+, Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Old 05-23-16, 01:13 PM

Looks like AT&T is $52 for up to 18 Mbps with 600GB/mo. I'm guessing that with overages I'd end up paying way more than the $65 of Cox.
Old 05-23-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How much data do you use?
Old 05-23-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
Looks like AT&T is $52 for up to 18 Mbps with 600GB/mo. I'm guessing that with overages I'd end up paying way more than the $65 of Cox.
https://www.att.com/esupport/article...rnet/KM1010099

AT&T does have some data caps on their plans.

But you would have to use a lot of internet to pass their restrictions. HD streaming a lot could eat up a lot of data.

Their DSL service, which stinks IMO, has the lowest data plan allowed at 300GB/month.
Old 05-23-16, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
How much data do you use?
Between playing Xbox, browsing the internet on my laptop, and streaming HBO through my Roku? No idea.
Old 05-23-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just remember that an advertised $64.98 per month will balloon to ~$80-85 after "taxes and fees" have been added in. Nothing in the ISP world is ever as it seems... They'll continue to try to add surcharges and other fees every few months, and hope you won't notice or care enough to take action.
Old 05-23-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Between playing Xbox, browsing the internet on my laptop, and streaming HBO through my Roku? No idea.
So it seems like probably a good amount... I am assuming 100-300gb based on what you are saying, for light to moderate usage. Higher for heavy usage. The r850 would cost a lot for that much data. You would be better off with a land line option, cable /dsl/fiber or whatever. Though dsl would probably be too slow. Att
Old 05-23-16, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Just remember that an advertised $64.98 per month will balloon to ~$80-85 after "taxes and fees" have been added in. Nothing in the ISP world is ever as it seems... They'll continue to try to add surcharges and other fees every few months, and hope you won't notice or care enough to take action.
Good point.

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE
So it seems like probably a good amount... I am assuming 100-300gb based on what you are saying, for light to moderate usage. Higher for heavy usage. The r850 would cost a lot for that much data. You would be better off with a land line option, cable /dsl/fiber or whatever. Though dsl would probably be too slow.
So that eliminates the Sprint option.

I called the community office and they said that about 80% of their tenants use Cox.

And apparently, from what I've been reading elsewhere, Cox's 15mbps option (at $58 total) should suffice for gaming and surfing. I wet ahead and did that and picked up the modem a few minutes ago.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 05-23-16, 08:33 PM

Good point.

I went ahead and did that and picked up the modem a few minutes ago.

Do they charge additional for the modem? I know Time Warner does and that's why I purchased my own.
Old 05-23-16, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I use Cox here in Orange County and have been pretty happy with their service. I'm on the 50 Mbps plan though.
Old 05-23-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Do they charge additional for the modem? I know Time Warner does and that's why I purchased my own.
I would strongly suggest that the op buy a modem,if he goes with cable. And pretty much everyone charges. I would however suggest that you stick with their modem for the first week or two to make sure everything is smooth, then switch to your modem. You would need to return the modem to get the charge removed.
Old 05-23-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good point.

So that eliminates the Sprint option.

I called the community office and they said that about 80% of their tenants use Cox.

And apparently, from what I've been reading elsewhere, Cox's 15mbps option (at $58 total) should suffice for gaming and surfing. I wet ahead and did that and picked up the modem a few minutes ago.

If it is just you, 15m is probably enough provided that you don't need 4k streaming or concurrent heavy bandwidth tasks
Old 05-23-16, 11:20 PM

If it is just you, 15m is probably enough provided that you don't need 4k streaming or concurrent heavy bandwidth tasks
It's just me and my son in a small one bedroom apartment, so I think you're right that the 15m should suffice. (Worst case scenario is I upgrade to 50 and pay $20 extra a month.)

Originally Posted by EinCB
$9.99 a month or $149.00 to buy.
Old 05-24-16, 12:01 AM

Since you're on the 15mpbs plan, I suggest buying this modem:

http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464065896&sr=1-2&keywords=arris+surfboard

Last edited by EinCB; 05-24-16 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 11:15 AM

Which of the four options would you select? (I'd need the wi-fi router.)
Old 05-24-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which of the four options would you select? (I'd need the wi-fi router.)
I prefer to buy the router and modem separately in case one goes bad, easier to replace one. But if you want a combo, I would suggest one of the ac ones as the other one didn't have 5ghz wifi
Old 05-24-16, 12:47 PM

I prefer to buy the router and modem separately in case one goes bad, easier to replace one. But if you want a combo, I would suggest one of the ac ones as the other one didn't have 5ghz wifi
I thought I was fairly adept at tech, but I'm at a loss as to how the three AC models differ beyond price ($99/$129/$149). Which would best suit my needs do you think?

(And thanks again for the help.)
Old 05-24-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

N300 only supports 802.11n, which is older and slower. Might as well go for the AC models.

The difference between AC1600 and AC1750 is the highest amount of simultaneous throughput they can process. There might also be some signal strength differences. But, the speed differences are really only applicable to transfers within your LAN. You won't see any speed difference for your Internet connection, because the wireless speeds are many times faster than the 15 Mbps Internet connection. So, given that you say you have a small one bedroom apartment, and it doesn't sound like you need super-fast LAN transfers for anything, the AC1600 router would suffice.

Edit: I just noticed one other difference between the AC1600 and AC1750 router. The AC1600 only has 2 ethernet LAN ports, while the AC1750 has 4 ports. So, if you have more than 2 devices that you want to connect hardwired to the ethernet, you should consider the AC1750, otherwise, you'll also need to buy an ethernet switch.

Last edited by TheBang; 05-24-16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI, I just noticed you can find the SBG6700-AC router new for $105 with free shipping on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301965263026
Old 05-24-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
N300 only supports 802.11n, which is older and slower. Might as well go for the AC models.

The difference between AC1600 and AC1750 is the highest amount of simultaneous throughput they can process. There might also be some signal strength differences. But, the speed differences are really only applicable to transfers within your LAN. You won't see any speed difference for your Internet connection, because the wireless speeds are many times faster than the 15 Mbps Internet connection. So, given that you say you have a small one bedroom apartment, and it doesn't sound like you need super-fast LAN transfers for anything, the AC1600 router would suffice.

Edit: I just noticed one other difference between the AC1600 and AC1750 router. The AC1600 only has 2 ethernet LAN ports, while the AC1750 has 4 ports. So, if you have more than 2 devices that you want to connect hardwired to the ethernet, you should consider the AC1750, otherwise, you'll also need to buy an ethernet switch.
Also consider in addition to computer, certain devices like smart tv, roku, blu ray can be hard wired or wifi (depends on what model you get). I prefer hardwire whenever possible... More stable especially if there are a lot of wifi networks in the area such as apartments
Old 05-26-16, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
FYI, I just noticed you can find the SBG6700-AC router new for $105 with free shipping on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301965263026
Nice find. I think I'll go ahead and buy one of the 4-port options. If I'm in my current unit for two years, it would be foolish to pay $300+ for a router that I can own for half that. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE
Also consider in addition to computer, certain devices like smart tv, roku, blu ray can be hard wired or wifi (depends on what model you get). I prefer hardwire whenever possible... More stable especially if there are a lot of wifi networks in the area such as apartments
I agree. Will opt for the one with more ports to hardwire my Roku, Xbox One, blu-ray player and TV.

Thanks again!