Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Desktop monitor flickers, then turns black

Old 05-15-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Desktop monitor flickers, then turns black

Yesterday, I noticed the upper-half of my monitor to my nine-year-old HP Pavilion desktop went dim and then the monitor went completely black. I restarted it several times and the monitor flickers and goes completely black. The PC and mouse work fine. This is the first time it's happened. I don't really use the desktop for much; I browse the Internet, watch videos, and listen to iTunes. I lowered the brightness all the way down but that didn't work. Any suggestions on how I can fix it myself or do I need to purchase a new monitor? What could have caused this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-16, 09:11 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Desktop monitor flickers, then turns black

If you have access to (or can borrow) another monitor, try it on your computer. If it works fine you know that your monitor is fried and needs replaced. If it does the same thing, something else is wrong (monitor cable, video card).
Old 05-16-16, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like your monitor is shot.

Is an LCD or an old RGB?

I don't know how LCDs go out, but the dimming, flickering, and going black sounds an RGB on its last legs.
Old 05-16-16, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be a capacitor issue. Either way, it's busted, time to get a new one.
Old 05-16-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be caps or a blown backlight CCFL if it's an older LCD that doesn't use LED. Once one CCFL blows out it can trip the circuit and cause the other to turn off, or the entire monitor.

I've replaced both in my current monitor and it's not that hard if you have a soldering iron (don't need it for the CCFLs, just the caps). The soldering required is very easy and the parts are cheap. The most time consuming part is doing the research to make sure you get the right caps. I recommend badcaps.net forums for advice if you decide to give it a go. They will help troubleshoot the issue and if it is the caps they can help ID the individual caps and suggest equivalent replacements.

If you can spot the bad caps and just replace those it can cost a couple of bucks, or do them all (minus one or two really big ones that rarely go bad) for $10. I did that last time which let me know it wasn't the caps so I replaced both CCFL's of ebay for $12 shipped from china, 1/3 the domestic price but they took 3 weeks to arrive.
Old 05-16-16, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Is an LCD or an old RGB?
It's a 2007 LCD monitor. I disconnected and reconnected it and still have the same problem. Also, I do not have another monitor to figure out if my old one is fried.

wmansir, I think I'll go the lazier route and purchase a new monitor. Any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything fancy.
Old 05-16-16, 04:46 PM

Personally, I would only recommend Viewsonic monitors. Never had any issues with any of their models. Prices are reasonable as well and the quality is great.
Old 05-16-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This 21.5" AOC monitor for $99.99 from Best Buy should be fine for a basic monitor:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-21-5...&skuId=8163044

Similar AOC monitor from Staples:
http://www.staples.com/AOC-e2250Swdn...product_481991

I was assuming you'd want to buy from a B&M so you can get it quickly, and also return it more easily if it turns out to not be the monitor.

Do you happen to have a laptop with a VGA out? You could hook your existing monitor up to it and see if it shows the same issue.
Old 05-16-16, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post

Do you happen to have a laptop with a VGA out? You could hook your existing monitor up to it and see if it shows the same issue.
I connected the desktop to the laptop and I still have the same issue. Thanks for the web links!