Reload this Page >

Adobe Flash - Safe or not?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-09-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Didn't see anything on this so I hope I'm not repeating a topic. But ... last year I heard enough about the risks of using Adobe Flash player that I disabled it in Firefox. Actually, I think Firefox itself discourages the use of Flash. This is due to the continual security breaches if one doesn't update the software every few minutes. There were cries of forcing Adobe to kill the product and convince everyone to use HTML5 (now used by Youtube?).

So being without has been somewhat of a pain - like here, where embedded vids don't work - but I've gotten used to being left out. Searching google for recent news on the topic shows mostly just last year's articles. No recent paranoia.

My question is this: Should I still keep it disabled? Obviously the answer will be: "if you want to not worry about Flash's apparently inherent lack of security, yes". But is the risk worth the loss of cute cat videos?

I'm sorta surprised that it hasn't been discussed here at all. Any comments from concerned or not-concerned people?
Old 03-09-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 426 Likes on 338 Posts
Re: Adobe Flash - Safe or not?

Flash risks are usually muted if you stay on trusted sites and keep up to date with it. Having an active Malware shield will help too.
Old 03-09-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

After posting, I did more searching and found a claim that google chrome has it "sandboxed" in the browser, making it safer. Perhaps I'll give chrome a shot.
Old 03-09-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to use Flash with Firefox on only certain sites do the following: Go to tools, Add-ons, select plugins on the left hand side, go to Shockwave Flash and turn it to "Ask to Activate." It will disable Flash on every webpage but you can click to activate it site by site. Meaning you can load it for DVDTalk but not ESPN if you chose. I'm not sure if it remembers sites if you close your browser. I have Firefox clear the history when it shuts down so I've never checked.
Old 03-17-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Flash risks are usually muted if you stay on trusted sites...
Not so much, what with malware infecting ad networks:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...to-ransomware/

Chrome is good because it sandboxes its version of Flash, and updates it via browser updates. It'll also stop Flash from working if you haven't updated the browser after a critical update is release.
Old 03-17-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny you should ask that today. I read another scare about Flash in the Tech News a few days ago and decided to finally just go into my "Add/Remove Programs" and remove it. It's now been gone for 3 days and the only difference I've seen so far is that some videos on this site now just show a gray box with a statement saying something like "plug-in is not installed." But, so far it's just in the "Other Talk" section - I can live without those videos.
Old 03-17-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Yeah, the lack of Flash on most mobile platforms, most notably Apple's refusal to put it on the iPhone, has led to a lot of websites switching to HTML5 for serving video, supported on most browsers, even if as a mainly secondary solution (i.e. only served if you don't have Flash).

It does sometimes become necessary on some sites though, a bit like how some sites seem to only work right with Internet Explorer. You could leave it disabled in Chrome, or if you use another browser as your primary browser.
Old 03-18-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Flash risks are usually muted if you stay on trusted sites and keep up to date with it. Having an active Malware shield will help too.
What?

No

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerabil...sh-Player.html

Flash is the devil
Old 03-19-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah, I recommend simply uninstalling Flash completely. Use Chrome either as your primary browser, or as your "Flash-only" browser.