Reload this Page >

Computer won't wake up

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer won't wake up

Old 01-18-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Computer won't wake up

I have an HP desktop computer running Windows 10. I just upgraded the memory from the original 6GB to 16GB. It does run quite a bit better since the upgrade except for one thing. Very often the computer won't wake back up by moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard. So I end up having to do a hard reboot. Just turn it off at the power button and start it back up.

Not sure what to make of it. I figured if it was somehow the wrong memory there would be other issues but it seems to run fine once it's fired up. Any ideas? This only started after the memory swap, so something about that the machine didn't like.
Old 01-20-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts
Re: Computer won't wake up

Often tapping the power button will wake a PC out of sleep. Does that work? Is the power light showing a sleep state (typically flashing light), or is it showing the PC to be still on (solid light)?

It could potentially be the new RAM; either one stick isn't seated correctly or actually is corrupted. You should run a memory test. I tend to run Memtest86+ at boot from a USB flashdrive with Ultimate Boot CD loaded on it:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Old 01-20-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jay. I will try tapping the power button. When it wakes up, an amber light turns blue. It will be blue but won't send the signal to the monitor and won't make any noise. Playing with the keyboard or mouse does nothing. Both sticks of RAM are showing up in properties. I assume if one wasn't seated it wouldn't show up?
Old 01-20-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent had very good luck with hibernating desktops. The never seem to want to wake up for me. I usually end up tweaking the settings and only having the monitor shut off. Oddly enough, I have never had that issue with a laptop.
Old 01-20-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Try unplugging the monitor and re-plugging it next time the PC doesn't come back from sleep. I had a similar problem and thought the computer wasn't waking up. Instead the PC was waking but the monitor won't turn back on. I couldn't figure out a fix but after a Windows 10 update it fixed itself.