Reload this Page >

IOS: Disabling "Find My Phone" ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-18-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Slightly complicated situation, looking for help.

I'm divorced and share custody of my kid with my ex. My ex remarried a few years ago to a guy that she just divorced - it was ugly. While they were married, she gave him a hand-me-down iPhone of hers. My kid (14-y/o) also has a hand-me-down iPhone, and those two iPhone can apparently see each other via the "Find My Phone" (FMP) feature.

My kid was proudly showing off how he can locate his ex-stepdad via FMP, and how he can fuck with him by making that phone ring, lock, or completely erase all of it's data. I've advised him to stay the hell away from that temptation. Not only does the step-dad have a right to privacy (my kid has NO business tracking him), but if my kid did anything malicious to that guy's phone he may be breaking the law, putting himself, his mom and me all on the hook.

Worse - if my kid can do that to the stepdad's phone, I'm certain the stepdad can return the favor.

How do we get these two phones to "divorce" each other so that they cannot be used to screw around with or track the other? Is there a way, using JUST the phone my kid has, to do this or does it require that we contact the stepdad and get him to do something as well?
Old 10-18-15, 10:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: IOS: Disabling "Find My Phone" ?

Which phone is the master account?
Old 10-18-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Unknown. Let's assume it's the Step-Dad's phone since it's older.
Old 10-18-15, 01:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Unknown. Let's assume it's the Step-Dad's phone since it's older.
The master account holder has most of the power with any sort of phone settings and find my phone shenanigans. Get off the account of any assholes.
Old 10-18-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't need a master account holder unless you are sharing an Apple account.

With that said, you can remove Find My iPhone but it'll remotely wipe the phone so uh, let that person know what is going to happen.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702?locale=en_US
Old 10-19-15, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Each person needs their own iCloud account. You can sign out of iCloud on your son's phone but it will require the password of the shared account. If he knows that he can sign in from any device even if he sets up a new account on his phone. You need to figure out who owns th iCloud account. The other person need to get a new account and the original account has to change the password.
Old 10-19-15, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Go to Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone

Turn this off on both phones. Then, turn it back on on each phone, and make sure the ex-Stepdad uses his own Apple ID account (with a password your son doesn't know), and that your Son signs in with his own, separate Apple ID account.