DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-25-15, 10:56 AM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best way to backup data?

I have a desktop at home that has a 1TB hard drive. It is about 700gig full.. Full of pictures and videos. I would like to move this data somewhere to long term temporary storage to free up some hard drive space. Plus I wouldn't mind keeping a second copy in case my hard drive crashes... Should I just buy an external hard drive? What kind should I buy? I don't want to spend a lot of money. I definitely want something reliable and that will last 10 years.. Not sure larger is better, as it will just make me more nervous about the thing dying.. So I would rather have 2-3 1TB hard drives then 1 big one...

I was looking at this one:
http://www.staples.com/WD-My-Passpor...akamai-feo=off
Old 09-25-15, 11:44 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Best way to backup data?

I use an external hard drive for local backup, and Backblaze for off-site backup. Works for my needs.
Old 09-25-15, 02:18 PM   #3
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use an external hard drive and SyncBackfree to do the backups. It's free and works great for me.
Old 09-25-15, 02:28 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing's gonna last 10 years. Use a cloud-based backup like the aforementioned Backblaze (been using it for years to great success).
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 09-25-15, 04:15 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
I have a desktop at home that has a 1TB hard drive. It is about 700gig full.. Full of pictures and videos. I would like to move this data somewhere to long term temporary storage to free up some hard drive space. Plus I wouldn't mind keeping a second copy in case my hard drive crashes...
You should definitely have at least two copies of anything you want to keep. Your current harddrive could crash at any time, and it's really just a question of when, not a question of if.

To me, it seems you actually want two different things: to free up space on the existing drive, and to backup your data. You can add an external drive and move some stuff to it to free up space, but you'll still need a backup device/method.

Online backups are nice in that they're automatic and they're offsite. automatic is good, since you won't have to remember to do manual backups. Offsite is good, since you want to be able to recover your data if something ends up destroying your PC, like a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Nothing's gonna last 10 years. Use a cloud-based backup like the aforementioned Backblaze (been using it for years to great success).
Tapes can last 10 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear...ape_durability

Businesses use LTO tapes to back up data and send it offsite. It can be cost efficient, but the upfront cost can be high (new drives typically go for a few thousand).
Old 09-25-15, 04:25 PM   #6
DVD Talk Reviewer

I use Carbonite - love it.
Old 09-25-15, 06:09 PM   #7
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How much do these online backups cost? I dont want to spend alot of money nor a yearly fee..

I just want to be able to preserve family photos and videos for as long as i can.. what are others doing?

Several months ago i transfered all of my videos on mini dv to my hard drive and it ate up alot of space. I also had several data dvd's with video and photos transferred to my pc. So maybe my dvd can be a partial backup. How long will a dvd last?

I wil look into the online thing but maybe i just buy a couple of external hard drives.. what do you guys recommend?

Backblaze looks nice, but is my data secure on their servers? Not sure i like automatic backups. I want to put what i want to put..

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 09-25-15 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 07:16 PM   #8
DVD Talk Special Edition

What are others doing you ask? I use CrashPlan (Google it for the price) for online backup of ALL Data/Photos. PLUS, I backup ALL Data/Photos daily (everything that has been added or changed during that day) to 4 different external HDD's. Some will say that this is overkill, but at least one previous post said you should have at least 2 external backups. And, also, as another person said - it's not a question of IF your HDD will fail, but WHEN - they all fail at some point.

How do I know what files have been added or changed every day? I use ZTreeWin (Google it). When you add or change a file on your HDD the "archive" bit is turned on. With ZTreeWin you can easily tag all files that have the "a" bit turned on and then also use the same software to copy those files to your external HDD's.

You said that you don't want to spend a lot of money nor a yearly fee. Well, external HDD's, even LARGE ones are not expensive. You can get a BUFFALO DriveStation Duo USB 3.0 2-Drive 4 TB Desktop from Amazon for $273.99 - that's two 2TB drives in one enclosure, so you can use it to make 2 backups. If that's too expensive, then I would say that your data & photos are not worth much to you - you do know that when your HDD fails that everything will be lost forever, right?

Enough said.
Old 09-25-15, 07:16 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

I use Dropbox.
Old 09-26-15, 08:51 AM   #10
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
How much do these online backups cost? I dont want to spend alot of money nor a yearly fee..
Carbonite is $59/year but currently have a $47 deal going on.

I know my images/files are secure, and that I can access them from any computer. And the auto backup means I don't have to think about it. For me the peace of mind is well worth it. I did external hd backups for years (CD and DVD before that) and I ALWAYS was in fear of my backup crapping out.

I have no experience with the freebie backup services, and they may be just as great. I chose Carbonite, felt the price was fair, and haven't thought twice about changing.

FWIW: I also use Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Photos (which are free).
Old 09-27-15, 12:51 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Those of you doing local backups to other hard drives, what programs do you use? I haven't started a cloud backup yet, mainly due to the shitty upload speeds I have. Instead, I back up to local hard drives, and occasionally swap out an offsite drive.
Old 09-27-15, 01:46 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Backblaze looks nice, but is my data secure on their servers? Not sure i like automatic backups. I want to put what i want to put..
It's not an all-or-nothing proposition; you can select which data you want backed up.

How secure are there servers? About as secure as anything on the Internet. But you're far more likely to have your external hard drive stolen from your house than for your secured files to be hacked on Backblaze.

And for five bucks a month, it's the best piece of mind ever. When my external HD crashed and died, I had a full backup restored in no time.
Old 09-27-15, 01:56 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Those of you doing local backups to other hard drives, what programs do you use? I haven't started a cloud backup yet, mainly due to the shitty upload speeds I have. Instead, I back up to local hard drives, and occasionally swap out an offsite drive.
I use Time Machine. When I had a Windows machine I used Free File Sync.
Old 09-27-15, 07:56 PM   #14

I prefer to use HDD's. The fastest and easiest way to manage your data.

To backup (ie: upload) 700GB online would take me a week. Once you got everything online, you would only need to keep it current which wouldn't be so bad. But if you then wanted to put it all back onto the computer, you then have to download 700GB+...so another couple of days (or more depending on your speed). And you hopefully don't have any usage caps on your account.

Online storage has it's uses. Such as a place to store documents and other files that you often use, or work related content, as you can then access them from anywhere. But the file sizes are much smaller, so it's not an issue.
Old 09-27-15, 10:49 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
I prefer to use HDD's. The fastest and easiest way to manage your data.

To backup (ie: upload) 700GB online would take me a week. Once you got everything online, you would only need to keep it current which wouldn't be so bad. But if you then wanted to put it all back onto the computer, you then have to download 700GB+...so another couple of days (or more depending on your speed). And you hopefully don't have any usage caps on your account.

Online storage has it's uses. Such as a place to store documents and other files that you often use, or work related content, as you can then access them from anywhere. But the file sizes are much smaller, so it's not an issue.
True, but if you ever have a fire...
Old 09-27-15, 11:36 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
Most cloud backup services will send you a Hard Drive with all your files, if desired. Of course you have to pay for the unit and shipping, but it makes for a viable solution in that scenario.
Old 09-27-15, 11:39 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
True, but if you ever have a fire...
Or get carried off by a twister???

Old 09-28-15, 01:11 PM   #18
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Just so ya know, Microsoft gives you 1TB of space with an Office 365 subscription. Just after I upgraded to Windows 10, MS sent me an email for 50% off for a one year Office 365 sub. $37 and change is a pretty good deal for 12 months of Office and a terabyte of offsite storage. I upgraded to Office 2016 last week, so in my book it's already paid for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Those of you doing local backups to other hard drives, what programs do you use?
I rolled my own using a batch file with Robocopy. I have a folder called "Data", with subfolders for my digital music, videos, pictures, etc. So:

Code:
robocopy c:\data g:\daily.backups\data /mir
This copies (mirrors, hence the /MIR switch) all the stuff in c:\data to g:\daily.backups\data. After you run it the first time, it only copies new files, or files that have changed. My batch file also copies the DOCUMENTS, DESKTOP and MUSIC folders (for the iTunes library). It runs every morning at 08:30 via Task Scheduler.

The only thing with robocopy is that there's no "undo" feature, so you've gotta be 100% sure you have the source and destination correct. I once worked with a guy who was migrating a client's data from an old server to a new one, and he accidentally switched them, erasing quite a few vital documents (since he was mirroring the new, blank drive to the one with data on it). The client had backups, so we were able to restore the files, but it took months for the tech to live that down.

I also have an older Dell PC I got free from a client that I use as a headless music backup. I installed XP on it, and one or twice a month I fire it up and run this:

Code:
robocopy C:\data\music \\xp\music /mir
choice /c YN /M "Shut down remote computer?"
if errorlevel 1 goto shutdown
if errorlevel 2 goto exit
:SHUTDOWN
shutdown /s /m \\xp /t 0
goto exit
:EXIT
exit
This copies all the music files from c:\data\music to the "music" share on the XP box. It then asks if I want to shut down XP: pressing 1 executes the remote shutdown command, pressing 2 exits the batch file (if I want to keep the XP box on for whatever reason).
Old 09-28-15, 06:47 PM   #19
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I stated in Post #8 - I use ZTreeWin to do my external HDD backups (Google it).
Old 09-28-15, 07:05 PM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I backup my hard drive with time machine
Then make special care to back up my documents 2 other ways:
I have an automatic backup set to copy all my documents to a local SD card 4 days a week, and on the other 3 days, the same files are backed up to the cloud, using idrive.com. They give you 5 gigs of online backup for free.
Old 09-28-15, 07:53 PM   #21

If it's important, you don't keep all of the copies in the same location. So fire, flood, or twister don't matter.
Old 09-29-15, 12:28 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Crashplan, as part of its free version, allows you to automatically back up to another PC over the internet. This can be good for backing up, say, your home PC on your work PC, and vice versa. It can back up to an external drive attached to the PC. Or, if you have a friend/family member that will let you, you can back up to a drive on their PC. You could even first back up to an external harddrive, take the harddrive to their house, then start up the backup on their PC, and only changes will need to be sent online.
Old 08-22-17, 01:11 PM   #23
Premium Member

Resurrecting this thread.

I've been using CrashPlan for several years and have been happy with it. I received a notice today, however, that they are getting out of the home backup business. They are giving an option to migrate to their Small Business option or some deal they have with Carbonite.

Just wondering what services people are using these days. I've heard good things about Carbonite, but that was a few years ago.
Old 08-22-17, 01:28 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the same boat as you, what to do?! Switch to Carbonite when my CrashPlan subscription expires (on 8/16/2018) I guess. I do multiple backups of all new and changed files every day to 4 external HDD's, so CrashPlan is only "fire and theft insurance" for my files and when it came time to renew my subscription 10 days ago, I just about said "why bother?" But then I said "yeah, but the place could burn down at any time, you never know".

I clicked on the "Switch to Carbonite" link in the e-mail that CrashPlan sent today and that seems like the easiest way to go.
Old 08-22-17, 01:30 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the update. I've been meaning to start an online backup and thought everyone here used Crashplan, but I guess I'll have to look into Carbonite (which I used for something else eons ago) or Hokeyboy's BackBlaze.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016