Reload this Page >

Windows on high DPI screens

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-10-15, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that Windows has scaling issues with high DPI screens. (I have only heard that, but I have never personally used Windows on a high DPI screen so I don't know for sure.) Supposedly, Windows 8.1 helped but didn't completely fix the issue. Has Windows 10 fixed it or has anything fixed it?

Also, how are those 2-in-1 laptop/tablet combos? I would like to get something like that, but I'm worried they are too heavy for much tablet use. The one I am specifically looking at getting is the 15" Dell 2-in-1. It says it is nearly 5 lbs though, which sounds really heavy for tablet use.
Old 09-10-15, 10:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 537 Likes on 386 Posts
Re: Windows on high DPI screens

Yes, the high DPI issues are resolved in Windows 10.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...isplay-scaling

I would not recommend a 5lb 2-in-1, unless it specifically has the power you need. Up to you though. I recall reading that the Surface Pro 3 is the same weight as the original iPad.
Old 09-11-15, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yes, the high DPI issues are resolved in Windows 10.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...isplay-scaling

I would not recommend a 5lb 2-in-1, unless it specifically has the power you need. Up to you though. I recall reading that the Surface Pro 3 is the same weight as the original iPad.
The Surface Pro 3 is about 1/4 lb heavier than the original iPad. That's still under 2 lbs though, and much lighter than a 5 lb 2-in-1.

The thing about the Surface Pro 3 is that it is significantly more expensive than a 2-in-1. I have seen 2-in-1's for $500-600. The base model Surface Pro 3 is $800, and that doesn't even include the keyboard cover. It's another $100 for that. If I was made out of money, I would get the Surface Pro 3 no question, but since I'm not made out of money, I am looking more towards a cheaper 2-in-1.
Old 09-11-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 428 Likes on 340 Posts

The resolution on the Surface Pro 3 is craziness.

Edit: I was going to recommend the Surface 3 but didn't realize they top out at 10.8"
Old 09-11-15, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The resolution on the Surface Pro 3 is craziness.

Edit: I was going to recommend the Surface 3 but didn't realize they top out at 10.8"
Yeah, the Surface 3 being only 10.8" is a deal breaker for me. I want big. (That's what she said.) Even the Pro 3 at 12" is a bit too small for me, but I could live with it. The 2-in-1 at 15.6" is what I ideally want, but I think they are probably too heavy for much tablet use. There is also the iPad Pro at 12.9" so it's almost 1" bigger than the Pro 3 at the same price, but I can't use Office and such on an iPad.
Old 09-11-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Yeah, the Surface 3 being only 10.8" is a deal breaker for me. I want big. (That's what she said.) Even the Pro 3 at 12" is a bit too small for me, but I could live with it. The 2-in-1 at 15.6" is what I ideally want, but I think they are probably too heavy for much tablet use. There is also the iPad Pro at 12.9" so it's almost 1" bigger than the Pro 3 at the same price, but I can't use Office and such on an iPad.
What features are missing from the iOS apps that you need?
Old 09-11-15, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
What features are missing from the iOS apps that you need?
I don't know. I have never used iOS. Is there an iOS Office app?
Old 09-11-15, 05:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

There is. For the average user, you're not going to notice much missing. I work with some macros, VB code, pivot tables... shit like that. As far as I know, those kinds of things aren't as feature-complete on the mobile platforms, but I'm sure someone like Jay G. will correct me.
Old 09-12-15, 08:04 AM
Banned

How well does the iOS Office app work with touch controls? I don't think you can use a mouse with an iPad or can you?

Since the Surface Pro has USB ports, I assume you could use a standard USB keyboard with it, correct? Are there any other mini keyboards besides that $100 keyboard cover that is specifically designed for the Surface? I really really do not want to spend $100 for a freaking keyboard.
Old 09-12-15, 12:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The iOS Office app is designed FOR touch controls, so it should be pretty decent. Touch elements are larger. That sort of thing. You're right that there's no "mouse" control in the app, but it should definitely work with a keyboard & touch.

Yes, you can use any USB keyboard/mouse combo on the Surface Pro. You can use Bluetooth keyboard/mouse as well. It also has a DisplayPort for connecting a full-sized monitor if you want.

The keyboard is expensive yes, but it also serves as a cover to protect the screen when it's in a bag or backpack or whatever.

You should get whatever works best for your needs. Surface Pros are on sale everywhere now (since the 4 is coming out in October, most likely), but that doesn't mean they're the best option for you.
Old 09-16-15, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You should get whatever works best for your needs. Surface Pros are on sale everywhere now (since the 4 is coming out in October, most likely), but that doesn't mean they're the best option for you.
I am basically wanting something to replace my current laptop. I don't have a desktop, just this one laptop. It is 7-8 years old, and it was a cheap budget laptop even when I first bought it, so it is definitely showing its age. I'm not a power user by any means. All I basically use it for is internet surfing, streaming video, and MS Office. I am thinking an iPad would be good enough for my needs, but I just don't know how well Office will work on it for me.