Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Explain this Gmail situation to me: My account used as recovery email by someone else

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Explain this Gmail situation to me: My account used as recovery email by someone else

Old 08-31-15, 11:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts

So, here's what I know:

1. I have a Gmail account that I've had active for ages. I don't use it so much anymore, but it still exists and I still log in about once a month (mostly to delete newsletters and spam). Let's call this DanIsAwesome(@)gmail.com, but that's not what it really is. Clearly.

2. Recently, this account got an email confirmation from google. This is a 100% legit google email (I know how to detect phishing attempts). It stated "Your Gmail address, SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com*, has been created." This is the standard email you get when your account is used as the recovery address for a new account. Now, I didn't create this new account. Someone else did, but in the process, they must have used MY account as the recovery address. Weird, right?
*also not the actual account name, but you get the idea.

3. Then I get another email. Google Password Assistance. "To initiate the password reset process for your SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com, click the link below." Again, totally legit google email, with a legit Google Accounts link.

4. Then another email. "Your password changed. Hi (name that is not me), The password for your Google Account SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com was recently changed." So... this person, whoever they were, either changed their password using the link in the previous email, Or they did it by re-entering their own password. I'm guessing the latter because I've specifically checked my Last Account Activity details, and there's ZERO sign of anyone logging into my account without me knowing about it.

5. Last email. "Your recovery email address changed. Hi (name that is not me), The recovery email for your Google Account SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com was recently changed." So, basically, this person removed my email from their recovery address, and presumably, added some other email instead.

Weird, right?

So, to summarize, it appears that:
- Someone created a new gmail account, using MY email as their recovery address.
- They attempted an email password recovery
- Then they changed their password, presumably the old-fashioned way
- Then they removed my email as their recovery address

My questions for the tech folks here are:
- Have you seen this kind of thing before?
- Do I have anything to worry about?

I've already changed the password on my account, "just because," but as I said, there was no sign of strange activity on my own account at all; just the fact that some random person linked it to their own account somehow.

For what it's worth, it IS a fairly generic email account name. I've seen emails from random sites where people try to create an account, using my gmail address, only to be denied because they were unable to verify the address since they can't see the emails I'm getting to confirm the account creation. I guess I just thought google would do the same when adding an account as your "recovery" address...
Old 08-31-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Explain this Gmail situation to me: My account used as recovery email by someone

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
So, here's what I know:

1. I have a Gmail account that I've had active for ages. I don't use it so much anymore, but it still exists and I still log in about once a month (mostly to delete newsletters and spam). Let's call this DanIsAwesome(@)gmail.com, but that's not what it really is. Clearly.

2. Recently, this account got an email confirmation from google. This is a 100% legit google email (I know how to detect phishing attempts). It stated "Your Gmail address, SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com*, has been created." This is the standard email you get when your account is used as the recovery address for a new account. Now, I didn't create this new account. Someone else did, but in the process, they must have used MY account as the recovery address. Weird, right?

3. Then I get another email. Google Password Assistance. "To initiate the password reset process for your SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com, click the link below." Again, totally legit google email, with a legit Google Accounts link.

4. Then another email. "Your password changed. Hi (name that is not me), The password for your Google Account SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com was recently changed." So... this person, whoever they were, either changed their password using the link in the previous email, Or they did it by re-entering their own password. I'm guessing the latter because I've specifically checked my Last Account Activity details, and there's ZERO sign of anyone logging into my account without me knowing about it.

5. Last email. "Your recovery email address changed. Hi (name that is not me), The recovery email for your Google Account SexyDoctor123(@)gmail.com was recently changed." So, basically, this person removed my email from their recovery address, and presumably, added some other email instead.

Weird, right?

So, to summarize, it appears that:
- Someone created a new gmail account, using MY email as their recovery address.
- They attempted an email password recovery
- Then they changed their password, presumably the old-fashioned way
- Then they removed my email as their recovery address

My questions for the tech folks here are:
- Have you seen this kind of thing before?
- Do I have anything to worry about?

I've already changed the password on my account, "just because," but as I said, there was no sign of strange activity on my own account at all; just the fact that some random person linked it to their own account somehow.

For what it's worth, it IS a fairly generic email account name. I've seen emails from random sites where people try to create an account, using my gmail address, only to be denied because they were unable to verify the address since they can't see the emails I'm getting to confirm the account creation. I guess I just thought google would do the same when adding an account as your "recovery" address...
I've had this happen to me several times before but the first e-mail had a link stating something like: "Don't recognize this e-mail address?" I click the link and it takes me to a page where Google unlinks my address from the other one. I have a [email protected] and get it from time to time. For what it's worth I never get them to my similar Hotmail account.
Old 09-01-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Explain this Gmail situation to me: My account used as recovery email by someone

I had this happen to someone who has the same real name as I do. So in one of my email accounts, I started getting Facebook friend requests from people I didn't know. So I go check on facebook and there's another me, but in South America. The requests keep coming and I'm getting a bit annoyed by it. Finally, I take over the account. Change everything on the profile, which wasn't much, and start unfriending everyone. Finally I just basically had a shell of a profile. The guy started trying to recover the password, but since I had gone and removed the secondary email and replaced it all with yet another email account I created specifically for this, he couldn't do much. Hopefully, he learned how to use the right email when he created his new account.
Old 09-03-15, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That was kind of..... not nice.....

I would have sent him an email. This puts him at an awkward situation with everyone you unfriended. Just a quick email, hey you're using the wrong email address, please change it. A stronger reminder in another week, if you don't change it I will be forced to contact Facebook that the email address is wrong which may cause you to lose the profile. Then contact FB to have them shut them down.

Could have been an honest mistake. What if his is [email protected] and yours is [email protected]? How about just a typo on a dot?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-03-15 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 318 Likes on 273 Posts

No matter how obscure you think your name may be, there is probably another living human with an identical first and last name.
Old 09-03-15, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
That was kind of..... not nice.....

Could have been an honest mistake. What if his is [email protected] and yours is [email protected]? How about just a typo on a dot?
With gmail those two are the same. Probably the .com is different.
Old 09-03-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 153 Posts

I would assume it was probably just a typo. Maybe he has an extremely similar gmail account, and he mistyped a letter or number when entering it as the recovery address. Then later he fixed it.
Old 09-03-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
With gmail those two are the same. Probably the .com is different.
And what is interesting, is they merged googlemail.com addresses with gmail, and some asshat had [email protected] and I had [email protected] and I get tons of personal email for this tool. I have replied to many of the people that send him personal stuff and tell them, to tell him to change to another email account...
Old 09-04-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess I'm not nice. Oh well.
Old 09-04-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
And what is interesting, is they merged googlemail.com addresses with gmail, and some asshat had [email protected] and I had [email protected]mail and I get tons of personal email for this tool. I have replied to many of the people that send him personal stuff and tell them, to tell him to change to another email account...
Uggh. Google should've forced near-duplicates like that to change.

I hadn't even heard of googlemail.com before, it looks like it was used temporarily in the UK and Germany:
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/04/gma...ooglemail-com/
Old 09-04-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Uggh. Google should've forced near-duplicates like that to change.

I hadn't even heard of googlemail.com before, it looks like it was used temporarily in the UK and Germany:
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/04/gma...ooglemail-com/
Yep, this guy/girl is in the UK. I have gotten very personal emails, as well as orders for products, etc...Once I got an order for shoes and it was allowing me into the order and I could have changed delivery address, or included a note (which I almost did, telling the guy to CHANGE HIS EMAIL ADDRESS)
Old 09-06-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

note to self, use DanIsAwesome(@)gmail.com as my recovery email address.
????
profit
Old 09-06-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
So, here's what I know:

Geez Dan, I didn't think you would mind me using your account. Sorry.
Old 09-06-15, 06:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 528 Likes on 378 Posts