Reload this Page >

MS Office on an iPad

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MS Office on an iPad

Old 06-24-15, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MS Office on an iPad

I am looking to buy a new laptop soon, and I am thinking I may just buy an iPad instead. I just use my laptop for web surfing and watching videos and rarely I use Office. I just discovered there is an Office app for iOS, so I think I can use an iPad as a full on laptop replacement. My question is is this the full Office or is it limited in any way? If I were to write a Word document on my iPad and send it to someone who only has a Windows PC, would they be able to open and read it in Windows? I'm not sure if iOS uses a different file format.

Edit to add: I have been googling a bit about Office for iPad. It seems like you need to pay a subscription fee to use it. Although some recent articles say that is no longer the case? I also found an app called Pages which seems to be the Apple equivalent of Word. Pages seems like it can save a document in the Word format, so maybe Pages would be better? I don't use Office much at home. I use it mostly at work, and I never bring my work home. So the only thing I would use Office/Pages at home would be to do occasional minor things like update my resume.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 06-24-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MS Office on an iPad

While you can use an iPad for most simple tasks, a computer is more practical. I use Word on my iPad and unless I have a large or complex document to write my iPad is all I need.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/micr...586447913?mt=8
Old 05-25-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

I want to create, edit, save and share MS Word documents on my iPad.

But I'm confused by the in app purchases. Which one do I get? I'd rather buy than do monthly. Only need MS Word. I have an iPad, not Pro.

Thanks
Old 05-26-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You probably don't need any of the in-app purchases. You can create/edit/save documents by downloading the app. There are a few advanced functions that require the Office 365 subscription but odds are you don't use them.

https://products.office.com/en-us/of...atures-section
Old 05-26-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, I don't think you can edit in app without having a subscription. There are several levels, and I find the apps do a pretty darn good job of replicating a desktop experience. Without a subscription, I think you can only view files.
Old 05-26-16, 02:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
Actually, I don't think you can edit in app without having a subscription. There are several levels, and I find the apps do a pretty darn good job of replicating a desktop experience. Without a subscription, I think you can only view files.
Nope, you can edit. About all I do is create and edit them, save them to Dropbox, email them. I'm pretty sure you can import files too.
Old 05-29-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Nope, you can edit. About all I do is create and edit them, save them to Dropbox, email them. I'm pretty sure you can import files too.
It looks like for the iPad Pro, specifically, you need an Office 365 subscription in order to create and edit docs:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/micr...rd/id586447913

"Read Word documents on iPad Pro for free. To create and edit docs, you need a qualifying Office 365 subscription."

As Trevor says, I think you can create and edit, so long as you're not using an iPad Pro.

Alternatively, Pages and Numbers are Apple apps that are included for free with all iOS device purchases, and they can create office-compatible word processing and spreadsheet docs.
Old 05-31-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Alternatively, Pages and Numbers are Apple apps that are included for free with all iOS device purchases, and they can create office-compatible word processing and spreadsheet docs.
Keep in mind that the Apple apps will keep the file in their own file format until you go to send or share it with someone, at which point you'll have an option to send it as a Word document:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202227

Also, as it's converting between two file fomats, there are sometimes formatting differences that pop up. If there person you're sending it to just needs to read/print the document and not edit it, it may be better to send it as a PDF.
Old 05-31-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

Ok, thanks all.

I d/l'd the Word app and it was view only until I gave it my email addy. Then I could edit and save.

This is exactly what I need. My daughter is likely going to graduate school and wants something with MS Word (I know a lot of other stuff would likely work, but she knows and has always used Word).

I'm going to give her my iPad and get her a nice keyboard. Actually probably get her two. The Apple BT keyboard to leave in her room and a thin one to carry.

Then I'll get me a Surface, and everyone will be happy...I hope.

And....daughter not happy..:lol...she want a big screen. She wants a real laptop.....lol

Oh well...ill find her a basic 15" screen lappy...maybe 16"

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-31-16 at 06:27 PM.