Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question on bringing my T-Mobile iPhone 6 to Verizon.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-30-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been trying to find a fairly direct answer to what I thought was a simple question, and am having some trouble finding it...

I have an iPhone 6 that I use on T-Mobile right now (unlocked, no contracts or anything). I want to switch to Verizon. I know the phone works on their network just fine (it's the same phone as theirs, and I took a friends SIM from his iPhone 6, put it in mine, and everything worked), but because the IMEI doesn't start with '35', they say they won't activate it.

If I use my old Thunderbolt phone to transfer my line over, and they give me a new SIM for it, which I put into my SIM cutter to make it a nano SIM, can I put it straight into my iPhone 6 and be good to go? If so, then I can switch tomorrow, but no one at Verizon seems to want to say if the SIM has to be put in the Thunderbolt first to "activate".
Old 05-31-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Question on bringing my T-Mobile iPhone 6 to Verizon.

When you say you moved a friend's sim over to your phone and it worked, what worked exactly?

Data/Phone/Text

ALL?

It's been a while since I have done this, but IIRC, the sim only controls 4G data access on Verizon, the IMEI # of the phone controls sms text and phone calls.

Your T-mobile phone most likely supports LTE bands 4 and 13, which are used by Verizon for its LTE service, but the T-Mobile phone most likely doesn't support CDMA which Verizon uses for voice calls.

but I am no expert, where is DPHAM!!!
Old 05-31-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everything worked. I made a call and it showed his number on the caller ID, I was connected to LTE, did a speed test, which was good (I'm switching from T-Mobile because I get zero data where I work during the day, which is where I tested this out), I was able to select "voice and data" for LTE. The CDMA radios are active in the 6, which was a new thing from them to do.
Old 05-31-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It might just be verizon policy then They are jerks - IMEI is not what they expect, so they are done.

Have you thought about using Page Plus?

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

I have been VERY happy with them over the last several years. Your iphone should work with them from everything you have described here, you need a $1 sim for them
Old 05-31-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call Verizon and tell them you want to activate the Thunderbolt. Then activate the line with the new SIM card.

Then go to an Apple store or Verizon and request a SIM change to the Nano Sim... you can cut it but it's risky due to the small size of Nano Sim. I don't recommend cutting a MicroSD to the Nano Sim size.

Slip the new Nano Sim into your iPhone 6 and it will work.
Old 05-31-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the responses. I went back today with the Thunderbolt, was going to activate it, get a new sim, put it in my sim cutter, etc. When I got there there was a different manager and associate. The associate asked what I needed, I said I wanted to come over from T-Mobile, I wanted to activate my Thunderbolt, which he remarked was pretty old. I said I had no intention of using it since I had an iPhone I was going to put my SIM in, he stopped me, said he understood, said to put my Thunderbolt away, and somehow got me set up with a new nano SIM for my phone.

Up and running and all is well!
Old 06-01-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Always nice when you deal with a human being...
Old 06-01-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you got it working. Rare that you got a rep that did that for you. Normally you would have to activate the Thunderbolt then cut the sim and pop it into the iPhone 6
Old 06-03-15, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Your T-mobile phone most likely supports LTE bands 4 and 13, which are used by Verizon for its LTE service, but the T-Mobile phone most likely doesn't support CDMA which Verizon uses for voice calls.
This is correct.

There are two models of the iPhone 6 model "A1549" (http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/), one for GSM and one for CDMA. The GSM and LTE bands are the same across both devices, the only difference being the CDMA has support for, well, CDMA.

While the GSM variation of A1549 will work with Verizon's LTE network, move into areas where only CDMA is available and you will have no service.

Verizon does this as they want the CDMA bands themselves to be locked specifically to their network. They want you to use their phones made for their network. While Apple's official "Retail Unlocked" model of the iPhone 6/6 Plus is A1586/A1524 and has support for all carriers, I've heard horror stories from people trying to get those unlocked units to work on Verizon.