Reload this Page >

A 2D Thread of 3D Printing

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-08-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 420 Likes on 333 Posts

I figure I'd start one of these and stop polluting the "The Last Thing You Bought..." Thread.

Anywho, I bought one of these:

It's a DIY 3D Printer Kit, which is less DIY than just "assembly required" and sort of like putting together an erector set with some electrical wiring thrown in at the end (super simple stuff). These things retail for between $250 and $350 normally, with free shipping on the $300+ models (which is through Fed Ex and takes about 5 days from Mainland China to your doorstep.)

Anyway, so far so good I suppose. I am curious if anybody has bought or used a legit one in recent times, and if they have any tips/tricks on finishing your prints (sanding, etc; ). These use the basic PLA/ABS fillaments, but I'm not sure the accuracy is there, but I also still have to build a new firmware for it and possibly get a smaller tip for the extruder (the included one is 0.4mm). If anybody knows anyone that has one of these cheaper models, please lemme know, I still have some calibration questions/kinks to work out.

I have no fucking idea why I bought the thing, but it seemed like fun and I figured I could prototype a few things I'd been kicking around in my head.

Some pics.

Spoiler:

Old 05-09-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts
Re: A 2D Thread of 3D Printing

it is a schooner