Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Any Camera Folks here?

Old 04-09-15, 10:45 PM
Banned

Any Camera Folks here?

The wife just picked up a Canon Rebel EOS T5 bundle. She had a rebel in the past and when transferring pics to the PC it gave you the option to delete the pictures on the camera during the transfer. I cant seem to see any options on this camera. I'm using the Canon EOS utility program that came with it to transfer the photos to win. 8.1 Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-11-15, 12:18 PM

Re: Any Camera Folks here?

I've never installed/used the software. Windows (at least Win7) will detect the camera on it's own. I haven't used it enough to see if Windows will delete after transferring or not, but default it does not.
Old 04-11-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After you transfer the pictures off the card, why not just go into the folder, Select All and just delete? And I'm assuming you have checked for the latest EOS Utiity updates?
Old 04-11-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's best to format the card in the camera using the camera menus. Your memory card will thank you. Just deleting photos can, in rare cases or maybe with cheap cards, lead to data corruption.
Old 04-12-15, 08:37 AM
Banned

Yea I told her to just manually do it. Formatting takes no time. I've looked all over the EOS updates etc. no big deal only curious as the program in the back would delete as they transferred
Old 04-13-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice camera.
Old 06-25-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured I'd bump a generic camera thread instead of starting a new one ...

I have an old (2003?) Fujifilm FinePix 2650 camera that I use almost exclusively for selling comic books on Ebay. A week or two ago, some - not all - of the photos started coming out darker than before. Very intermittent, but seems to be getting more frequent. The only thing that changed is I replaced the light bulb used for the light source - and had to switch from incandescent to LED (bleh). Thinking this may be the cause, I tried a brighter bulb. No help, still getting about half darker pics.

Is my camera just old and dying? I really don't want to invest in a new camera because this one does (or did, anyway) low light very well. I bought a new camera last year but returned it because the pics were unusable because of low light. Back to using my old camera. I'm afraid that a new good-low light camera would be way too expensive.

Any guesses or ideas?
Old 06-25-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that’s a 2 mp camera. Yeah, I’ll wager it’s probably going out and not worth trying to fix. Looks like you can buy one like yours from EBay for $7-$20. But even if you have a smartphone, that will probably be better than that camera, even in low light. Even a new cheap digital camera now will give you what you need, specially for posting pictures to EBay.
Old 06-25-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, I didn't realize they were so cheap now! No smartphone (or any phone!) so maybe I will have to go for a new one. I'll check reviews for good low-light models.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-25-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have a brand new gold Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera from 2008 in my closet somewhere.

Old 06-25-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Whoa, I didn't realize they were so cheap now! No smartphone (or any phone!) so maybe I will have to go for a new one. I'll check reviews for good low-light models.

Thanks for the input!
If you are on a budget then look at the pixel 3a. Great shots including low light.

If you were looking for something used, you can pick up a pixel 2 for around $200-250, which is pretty close in low light to the 3a

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 06-26-19 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 01:04 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

If you are on a budget then look at the pixel 3a. Great shots including low light.

If you were looking for something used, you can pick up a pixel 2 for around $200-250, which is pretty close in low light to the 3a
$200-250 for something used?

Old 06-27-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pasler View Post
$200-250 for something used?
Yup. You can pick up the pixel 3a for $400 new as well if you wanted a smartphone with great low light.

If low light is not as important then there are cheaper smartphone options.
Old 06-27-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's not considered "cheap" by any means. But there's plenty of good ones $100 or below that can handle dark light very well.

Also, I don't think Bronkster is looking for a cell phone on any level considering he said he doesn't even have one.
Old 06-27-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why is he taking pictures of comic book covers in the dark though? I'd recommend getting a tripod though if he wants to eliminate blur from handheld photography in indoor lighting.
Old 06-27-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Why is he taking pictures of comic book covers in the dark though? I'd recommend getting a tripod though if he wants to eliminate blur from handheld photography in indoor lighting.
I'm using an extra light source, but the light is not bright enough - as based on the new camera I bought (and returned) last year. And I DO use a tripod.

Based on E.Unit's comment of how cheap the same camera is on Ebay, I'm getting another of the same model. Since I know the camera - and know its ability of good pictures in existing light - and it's not much risk for under $25, why not?
Old 06-28-19, 08:19 PM
Stealth Moderator

Bronkster, you should check out a portable photo studio if you're gonna ebay a lot of things that require good light.
I have a Foldio2 that I bought via Kickstarter.
Foldio2 Plus ? ORANGEMONKIE US
Was $55, it's $79 now.

Or you can buy a generic equivalent:
https://www.wish.com/product/585ba4237daa376488690ccb
$6 on Wish
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-...-Box/969952548
$13 from Walmart
Amazon Amazon
$19 from Amazon
Old 06-28-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those are interesting. If the new (used) camera doesn't work, I might consider those.