Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommended modems? Wireless/non-wireless.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-31-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving to a new house next week. Using a cable company, I want to have three hard wired computers and will have a couple wireless laptops. Cable company (Cox) wants a lot to 'rent' their wireless cable modems so I thought I'd buy two (or three) of my own. I could possibly get away with only one or two being wireless.

They have initially installed one wireless modem. I could use their one wireless then install two non-wireless, just to connect from the wall to a pc.

Here is the service I have:

Preferred package - Up to 50 Mbps

The cable system says they require DOCSIS 3.0 (4 x 4 channel) modem. From their website, their recommendations are listed below: (I have the "preferred" package so any of these would work.)

Cisco DPC3000 Preferred, DPC3010 Ultimate

DLink DCM301 Ultimate

Hitron-Zyxel CDA30360 Ultimate

ARRIS / Motorola SB6120 Preferred
SB6121 Preferred
SB6141 Ultimate
SB6180 Ultimate
SB6182 Ultimate
SB6183 Ultimate
SBG6580 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
SBG6782 (WiFi modem) Ultimate

Netgear CMD31T Preferred
CM400 Ultimate
C3000 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
C3700 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
N450 (WiFi modem)

Zoom 5341 Preferred

5350 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
5352 (WiFi modem) Ultimate
Old 01-31-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recommended modems? Wireless/non-wireless.

Originally Posted by kayak99 View Post

They have initially installed one wireless modem. I could use their one wireless then install two non-wireless, just to connect from the wall to a pc.
You only need one "MODEM" unless you are buying more than one high speed internet connection.

Everything else you own will fall behind that modem.

I do not care for all-in-one devices of any type, modem/wireless combined, but that is a personal preference. If that is what they installed for you, then you might be forced to use the wireless on it (not sure if you have the control to turn it off).

So you would need an "Ethernet Switch" to connect more wired devices and if the wireless from that one they gave you does not cover your whole house, you will need a wireless bridge to extend that wireless devices range to cover your whole house (not uncommon at all)

Good site for some research

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
Old 01-31-15, 12:52 PM

The modem is what connects to the cable and provides the internet connectivity. You then use a router (wired or wireless or both) to connect all of your devices/computers to the network.

Cox (and most other providers) provide an all-in-one unit (modem and router are in the same enclosure) to keep things simple. Using an individual modem and router is preferred and recommended (for troubleshooting, upgrading, and testing purposes).

I'm not familiar with Cox, but assuming they allow customer owned modems, they will have a list of the approved models. I'm not sure if the list you posted are the approved customer owned units or the models they supply.

I prefer Motorola modems, but any of the approved models will work. You can then select/use the router of your choice. Or stick with a combo unit if that is your preference.
Old 01-31-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Cox and I use the "Preferred" (100 Mbps down) tier. I bought my Motorola SB6141 from Amazon while I picked up a 3TB Airport Time Capsule from Apple. My speed averages between 105 - 165 Mbps down during the time of day and most of my devices have the capability to pick up 5 GHz WiFi let it be via 802.11n or 802.11ac. The only devices that can't are my Playstations and the Nest.

Hard-wiring is for suckers.
Old 01-31-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys.

Presently the wifi modem Cox installed is downstairs. The list I provided was copied form their approved list.

I may want to replace their rental with one of my own. Using a separate modem and Apple Airport is an option.

That said, in one or possibly two additional locations I want to hook up a pc (or two). For the additional pc would I not have to have to go: wall plug > coaxial cable > modem > cat5 > pc? The pc(s) do not have wireless capabilities, hence the need for hard wiring.

At my home up north I have a cable co. provided Motorola modem > Apple Airport router, with a second Apple router as a wifi extender. But, up there only one pc is hard wired. Here I will have at least two hard wired, one downstairs & another upstairs.
Old 01-31-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless there's a specific reason to need a hard wired connection to the other PC's you want to hook up, seems like you should just pick up a couple USB wireless adapters for them and call it a day. Same if you buy your own modem and router to replace the Cox one.

If you buy your own modem and router, you could always use a powerline solution too.
Old 01-31-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Unless there's a specific reason to need a hard wired connection to the other PC's you want to hook up, seems like you should just pick up a couple USB wireless adapters for them and call it a day. Same if you buy your own modem and router to replace the Cox one.

If you buy your own modem and router, you could always use a powerline solution too.
I thought about the USB adapters but I'm always concerned about signal strength, especially on an upper floor. The powerline adapter
might work.

It appears the consensus is to have modem and router be separate units.

Last edited by kayak99; 01-31-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's a good thread on here about wireless range extenders that would help if signal strength is an issue. Or get a super beefy router from ASUS or Netgear I'm not sure, but I imagine if you wanted an additional modem where the PC is upstairs that Cox would basically consider it an additional line.

Oh, and as far as modem's... I'm on the Cisco 3010. I bought a used one off of Amazon and it works fantastic, and only went that route since it was much, much cheaper. Nothing but good things about the Motorola 6141 though. Basically the defacto for all the Cable companies out there.
Old 01-31-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
There's a good thread on here about wireless range extenders that would help if signal strength is an issue. Or get a super beefy router from ASUS or Netgear I'm not sure, but I imagine if you wanted an additional modem where the PC is upstairs that Cox would basically consider it an additional line.

Oh, and as far as modem's... I'm on the Cisco 3010. I bought a used one off of Amazon and it works fantastic, and only went that route since it was much, much cheaper. Nothing but good things about the Motorola 6141 though. Basically the defacto for all the Cable companies out there.

I'll check but the installer told me if I want to hard wire an upstairs pc to the wall outlet, just to obtain my own modem. I assumed that meant there would be no additional fee but I'll have to check with Cox. If connecting another modem causes an additional fee that route will be out. Their fees are a bit high as it is. Right now I am using Brighthouse with more service at a lesser cost. They don't service where I am going next.
Old 01-31-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I would recommend a modem with 8 bonded downstream channels, even on the 50mbps,it can help especially in peak hours, if the channels are reaching capacity. And the cost isn't that much more. I agree above with getting 2 separate devices.
Old 01-31-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I would recommend a modem with 8 bonded downstream channels, even on the 50mbps,it can help especially in peak hours, if the channels are reaching capacity. And the cost isn't that much more. I agree above with getting 2 separate devices.
I checked those on the approved list above. Seems anything Cox approves for "ultimate" is 8 or 16 down, 4 up. Thanks!

Last edited by kayak99; 01-31-15 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

be careful with power line solutions and different floors of the house, depending on the house and how your house power is wired, it may not work. There are 'jumpers' that can be installed in your breaker box to fix the situation, but they generally require an elelectrician to come onsite and install

Hard wired is for people that demand performance 100% of the time, no excuses
Wireless is for the weak and lazy

If you nix the rental gear
buy a Motorola modem from the approved list (they are very good)
buy an Asus Dark Knight (RTN66U) to cover the router and wireless side of the house

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

and then something like this as a wireless range extender

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704230

If you can hard wire your other computers without a whole lot of headache, it maybe worth it.

If you cant run a wire direct from the Asus RTN66U, then find a central point to wire a switch in your house

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-043-_-Product

then run a connection to it, and then from it to your computer. I did this in my house years ago and have no regrets. My higher bandwidth items are wired and then tablets and phones, etc in the house all use the wireless. I stream video to 4 different rooms in my house, this would overload wireless.
Old 01-31-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You like the ASUS better than the Apple Airport Extreme?
Old 01-31-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could not honestly compare the two, I have never used the Apple

The Asus works well with factory firmware, but you also have options if you want to experiment

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7846

I also like external antennas, I replace them with stronger ones in cases where I can't quite get a strong enough signal where I need it. In some cases this has saved me from having to add a bridge.

The Asus is all about options to fit your needs
The Apple is all about, here is it, use it or don't, you have no options
Old 01-31-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked those on the approved list above. Seems anything Cox approves for "ultimate" is 8 or 16 down, 4 up. Thanks!
Motorolas are excellent. If you can afford it, get a 16x4, like the 6183
Old 02-01-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Based on all your recommendations I'll probably go with the Motorola 6141 (or 6183) and an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station, replacing the original equipment.

For the upstairs I am going to see if a powerline adapter will work. If not, I'll have to try Plan B (meaning I have no plan).
Old 02-02-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on all your recommendations I'll probably go with the Motorola 6141 (or 6183) and an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station, replacing the original equipment.

For the upstairs I am going to see if a powerline adapter will work. If not, I'll have to try Plan B (meaning I have no plan).
If you get the current-generation AirPort Extreme, you will not need an extender for the second floor. I would hold off on purchasing an extender until you setup the Extreme. There's a reason most recommend the Extreme. If you have any 802.11ac devices, you'll be surprised with how fast you can transfer information.

Hell, even an AirPort Express has zero problems covering multiple floors.
Old 02-02-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 420 Likes on 333 Posts

The AirPort Extreme is one of the few Apple products I found to be competitively priced with it's rivals and of proper quality for it.

I had a 6121 Motorola that kept flaking out on me but I hear the 6141 one works well. I currently have a Zyxel of all things and it's pretty reliable, though my bandwidth is capped at 64 down / 12 up.

How big of a house do you have? My 2 story house gets great coverage from a single access point (albeit it's only a 2000 sq ft house), my parents have a large, spread out home and we threw a wireless router upstairs and one midway through the house as a repeater and it works fine for full house coverage. You'd be surprised at how good the coverage is with Wireless AC routers, especially the Nighthawks and ASUS ones.
Old 02-02-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My friend has nothing but good things to say about the Netgear Nighthawk. The best i've used is the ASUS Dark Knight, which while an older N model, was absolutely fantastic. Some of the newer ones from ASUS, Netgear, and even DLink look nuts with all the antennas.