Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Old 01-20-15, 09:37 AM
  #1  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Hello peeps,

My friend lent me a Blu Ray disc, but it doesn't play on the old lappy..
is there a way around this? Don't fancy forking out cash to buy a new Blu Ray player just to play one movie, as I mostly watch online.
Is there a program or software that I can install that allows BRs to be played on the computer?

Cheers
pachinko852 is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 10:06 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MN
Posts: 1,558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Originally Posted by pachinko852 View Post
Is there a program or software that I can install that allows BRs to be played on the computer?
Not without having a blu-ray drive, no.
Scarecrow is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 10:37 AM
  #3  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pandemerica!
Posts: 21,617
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Right.
You need a Blu-ray drive. Many laptops have them now. Not sure if the OP's laptop has one. It's unclear.

Also, you need software to watch it. If the laptop has a drive, it should have came with some software to play the discs. If not, you can try a free player like VLC, which can be hit or miss. Or you can do a free trial of one of the bigger ones (PowerDVD? TMT? One of those should still have a free trial, I think).

You need both of those things. You cannot watch Blu-ray discs without both the hardware and software to do it.

Otherwise, just buy a cheapo Blu-ray player for $50 and embrace the future. It's been 9 years.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 10:58 AM
  #4  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Right.
You need a Blu-ray drive. Many laptops have them now. Not sure if the OP's laptop has one. It's unclear.

Also, you need software to watch it. If the laptop has a drive, it should have came with some software to play the discs. If not, you can try a free player like VLC, which can be hit or miss. Or you can do a free trial of one of the bigger ones (PowerDVD? TMT? One of those should still have a free trial, I think).

You need both of those things. You cannot watch Blu-ray discs without both the hardware and software to do it.

Otherwise, just buy a cheapo Blu-ray player for $50 and embrace the future. It's been 9 years.

Thanks for the tips mate

I got the laptop back in 2011, though it doesn't have a Blu Ray drive I'm afraid..
it just plays the normal DVDs, but even that can be annoying;
sometimes I have to change the region code to play certain DVDs and it only gives me a limit of how many times I can change but it's permanently locked. I gave up buying/watching DVDs on the computer long ago, just watch online now.
My friend lent me "Never Sleep Again: Elm Street Legacy" Blu Ray disc since I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net..
pachinko852 is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 11:29 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: MN
Posts: 1,558
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Originally Posted by pachinko852 View Post
My friend lent me "Never Sleep Again: Elm Street Legacy" Blu Ray disc since I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net..
It's available for rent or purchase from Vudu, Amazon & Google (didn't check elsewhere) in the US at least not sure about elsewhere.
Scarecrow is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 11:49 AM
  #6  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pandemerica!
Posts: 21,617
Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

It's also on Netflix USA. If you're not in the US (like me), look up a VPN/DNS rerouting service. They're cheap and/or have free trials.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 12:56 PM
  #7  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

thanks for all the tips guys

I actually found the torrent; loads of seeders.. downloading now.. and it's going really fast lol
I'll be able to watch it in like 10 mins time XDD
pachinko852 is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 02:27 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,896
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

Yeah we can't discuss that side of the internet here, so if the admins ask, you're watching it on Netflix.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-20-15, 04:13 PM
  #9  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,790
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: how to play blu ray discs on laptop?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/4...-material.html
X is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.