Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB 3.1 with new Type C connector

Old 06-03-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: USB 3.1 with new Type C connector

Thunderbolt 3 is adopting the Type C connector:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...dth-to-40gbps/
Thunderbolt 3 has changed its connector from Mini DisplayPort to USB Type-C.

In addition to the new connector, Thunderbolt 3 now also supports USB 3.1 (i.e. Gen 2, up to 10Gbps), and the Thunderbolt transport layer sees its max bandwidth doubled from 20Gbps to 40Gbps (bi-directional, full duplex). Thunderbolt 3 also offers an optional 100W of power, in accordance with the USB Power Delivery spec. Without USB PD, Thunderbolt 3 will provide up to 15 watts.

Thunderbolt 3 is backed by Intel's new Alpine Ridge controller. USB 3.1 support is provided by integrating a USB 3.1 host controller into Alpine Ridge. There will be two flavours of the controller, one that uses four PCIe 3.0 lanes to drive two Thunderbolt ports, and another version that only uses two PCIe lanes connected to a single Thunderbolt port....

At launch, there'll be one passive Thunderbolt 3 cable that supports Thunderbolt, USB 3.1, and DisplayPort 1.2, but with a max bandwidth of only 20Gbps. Intel confirms that this passive cable will be a standard, cheap USB Type-C cable. There'll also be an active cable that allows for up to 40Gbps, but drops DisplayPort 1.2 connectivity.
Type C really looks like it could become the "universal" port type, delivering all types of data + power.
Old 06-03-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think "universal" ports are fine, as long as they are functionally universal. I don't like it when connectors are the same, but functionally different.
Old 03-24-20, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but figured might make more sense to tac on rather than starting a new one.

Im finally starting to get a number of items that either feature or rely heavily on USB-C. Particularly, I have a laptop and need more ports. Does anybody have a recommendation on a hub? They appear a dime a dozen, but I donít know if thereís any functional difference.

I need at least: USB A, HDMI, SD slot. I suppose a bonus would be USB-C pass through and Ethernet.

Are they OS specific?
Old 03-24-20, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
What are you trying to plug the hub into? USB A 3.0 or USB C 3.x?

This one looks promising: https://www.amazon.com/QGeeM-Deliver...tronics&sr=1-8 and https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charg...tronics&sr=1-4

I own this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and use it for Oculus Rift/VR stuff in Windows 10.
Needs to plug into USB-C. Right now a Dell laptop, and potentially a new iPad.
Old 03-24-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ars Technica had this review of USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 hubs last November:
https://arstechnica.com/features/201...d-usb-c-docks/

One thing to note is that just because it has a USB-C connector doesn't mean the hub necessarily supports everything the device's USB-C port supports, and vice versa. Thunderbolt 3 support is a big one, since while it uses USB-C as its connector, not everything with a USB-C port/plug supports TB3.

Also, like other "standards" like Wifi and Bluetooth, while the hubs should theoretically work with any device that supports the same standards, in reality there can be particular quirks that may pop up between certain hubs and certain devices. Reading through the comments on the Ars article can give you an idea of what works with what.
Old 03-24-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Is it too much to ask that computer manufacturers stop dropping USB-A support?

I know that everyone wants to move over to USB-C, but it seems like they're forcing it too fast, and many new computers are going USB-C exclusive while there are still lots of USB-A devices out there still being used and sold. We shouldn't need to buy a bunch of fucking docks and dongles to use our printers, thumb drives, and external drives.
Old 03-24-20, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Is it too much to ask that computer manufacturers stop dropping USB-A support?
The race to thinness is to blame. First the Ethernet port went, because it was the thickest (although there's some with fold-out Ethernet ports). USB-A is thicker than USB-C, so to get thinner, it has to go.

I, personally, am fine with a laptop thick enough to fit USB-A ports, but the manufacturers seem to think people are willing to sacrifice it for having a thinner laptop.
Old 03-24-20, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Ars Technica had this review of USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 hubs last November:
https://arstechnica.com/features/201...d-usb-c-docks/

One thing to note is that just because it has a USB-C connector doesn't mean the hub necessarily supports everything the device's USB-C port supports, and vice versa. Thunderbolt 3 support is a big one, since while it uses USB-C as its connector, not everything with a USB-C port/plug supports TB3.

Also, like other "standards" like Wifi and Bluetooth, while the hubs should theoretically work with any device that supports the same standards, in reality there can be particular quirks that may pop up between certain hubs and certain devices. Reading through the comments on the Ars article can give you an idea of what works with what.
Thanks, but crappy because that means I donít even know what my laptop has.

Iím mostly worried about ports, so likely not worried about bandwidth. Plus, not looking for a dock, so a travel adapter seems the best. Except when you look on amazon theyíre a dime a dozen.
Old 03-24-20, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The race to thinness is to blame. First the Ethernet port went, because it was the thickest (although there's some with fold-out Ethernet ports). USB-A is thicker than USB-C, so to get thinner, it has to go.

I, personally, am fine with a laptop thick enough to fit USB-A ports, but the manufacturers seem to think people are willing to sacrifice it for having a thinner laptop.
Also the race to greed, streamlining and cheapening their products is to blame. Call a spade a spade.

These companies are so capricious, they'll intentionally cripple their products to save a few cents in connectors / ports per part.
Old 03-25-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, the thinness craze is maddening. I remember that one iPhone that was so thin it was getting bent in peoples' pockets.

I almost bought a Dell XPS-13 a while back until I noticed it didn't have any USB-A ports, only those damned C/Thunderbolt things. A laptop that I can't plug an external hard drive or flash drive into is mostly useless to me.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad or Ideapad (whichever it is) that's kind of underpowered in the RAM and speed department, but at least it has two USB-A 3.0 ports, an HDMI out, a headphone jack, a microSD card slot, and a USB-C port I never use. It's like 3/4" when it's closed, and I don't need something any thinner. I'd rather have a few ports I use regularly or might need in a pinch than a marginally thinner profile.

Old 03-25-20, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, the thinness craze is maddening. I remember that one iPhone that was so thin it was getting bent in peoples' pockets.

I almost bought a Dell XPS-13 a while back until I noticed it didn't have any USB-A ports, only those damned C/Thunderbolt things. A laptop that I can't plug an external hard drive or flash drive into is mostly useless to me.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad or Ideapad (whichever it is) that's kind of underpowered in the RAM and speed department, but at least it has two USB-A 3.0 ports, an HDMI out, a headphone jack, a microSD card slot, and a USB-C port I never use. It's like 3/4" when it's closed, and I don't need something any thinner. I'd rather have a few ports I use regularly or might need in a pinch than a marginally thinner profile.
Ironically I purchased an XPS-13 which is what prompted my question.
Old 03-25-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking up specs on the XPS-13
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...atures_section

With the laptop open in front of you...
  • On the right side, one USB-C 3.1 port with power delivery & DisplayPort
  • On the left side, two 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports with power delivery & DisplayPort (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3)
So you could get a Thunderbolt 3 dock, but would have to be mindful of which side you plugged it into (left side only). In contrast, a USB-C 3.1 dock should work on all 3 ports.