DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-06-14, 10:19 PM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Amazon Echo

I wonder if it would be hard for her to play this?

Also in for it too
Old 11-06-14, 10:36 PM   #27
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
My statement stands, it has nothing to do with liking or disliking Amazon. Their end goal is a disguised good into an evil (greedy, avaricious) end. It sets a very bad precedent ... Siri at least doesn't try to sell you anything, and I think we could do without her, also. Sometimes thinking for ourselves is better than getting a canned answer back from a tech gadget or device, no?
I'm pretty sure it has entirely to do with disliking Amazon on your part

Personally i'm not concerned about these companies to think of them as Big Brother and that Amazon, Google, Microsoft, or Apple are all out to do evil though, although I can understand some of the concern from others. In the case of this product, it seems useful beyond just trying to sell you Amazon goods and it can function just as a cool gadget for reminders, music, podcasts, whatever.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 11-06-14, 11:07 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
My statement stands, it has nothing to do with liking or disliking Amazon. Their end goal is a disguised good into an evil (greedy, avaricious) end. It sets a very bad precedent ... Siri at least doesn't try to sell you anything, and I think we could do without her, also. Sometimes thinking for ourselves is better than getting a canned answer back from a tech gadget or device, no?
I can think for myself all I want, but it's not going to get me proper weather forecasts while I'm doing other things. Or tell me how many years it takes Saturn to get around the sun (it was trivia night).

This is just a standalone version of Siri / Google Now.
Old 11-07-14, 01:11 AM   #29
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
This appears to be Amazon's version of Big Brother's telescreen... Avoid at all costs unless you want to be monitored 24/7 by one whose intentions aren't good.
Yep, I signed up.
Old 11-07-14, 01:24 AM   #30
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

This is just a standalone version of Siri / Google Now.
Which makes it a real oddity to me. I can buy a great bluetooth speaker for less than that device, and connect my phone to it, and ask Siri the same questions I can ask Alexa, and also stream music and podcasts and all that. Additionally, I can do all those things with my phone without the speaker, whereas this service is built into the speaker. I just don't see the point.
Old 11-07-14, 01:45 AM   #31
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Which makes it a real oddity to me. I can buy a great bluetooth speaker for less than that device, and connect my phone to it, and ask Siri the same questions I can ask Alexa, and also stream music and podcasts and all that. Additionally, I can do all those things with my phone without the speaker, whereas this service is built into the speaker. I just don't see the point.
Voice command function without having to touch the device is the only thing I can think of. Or maybe more of a household item vs a personal one. I'm sure people will have a use for it.
Old 11-07-14, 02:55 AM   #32
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm pretty sure it has entirely to do with disliking Amazon on your part

Personally i'm not concerned about these companies to think of them as Big Brother and that Amazon, Google, Microsoft, or Apple are all out to do evil though, although I can understand some of the concern from others. In the case of this product, it seems useful beyond just trying to sell you Amazon goods and it can function just as a cool gadget for reminders, music, podcasts, whatever.
Hey, don't you know that those big companies actually have great influence on how things get done in society's sociological framework? They can and will try to cater to their own interests above all else. I don't know if that is all right in the long term... It certainly isn't healthy for the average consumer.

Until we have an automaton as realistic as the one shown in THE MACHINE, I won't believe these big players are without some "evil" (= greedy, self-serving) intent.

But, until then I'll sit back and watch the show and see what becomes of this latest Amazon ploy...
Old 11-07-14, 07:52 AM   #33

I was intrigued and interested when I first heard about the device yesterday, but with more time to think about it, the more likely I am going to pass on this. Like other people have said, I think it will be fun to use for about 15 minutes or so and then it'll just collect dust.

I requested my invite, so I still have time to decide but it's looking like a no at the moment.
Old 11-07-14, 08:23 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
Voice command function without having to touch the device is the only thing I can think of. Or maybe more of a household item vs a personal one. I'm sure people will have a use for it.
Yeah, I compare it to the Moto X, that phone has a dedicated second processor that basically does nothing but listen for voice commands.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-07-14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 08:58 AM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post

Both my note 3 and Note 4 can do voice activation hands free. It can't buy something with a single command though, nor would I want it to. Doesn't really work for my needs.
Old 11-07-14, 09:36 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hero

I would probably use Siri a lot more if I didn't have to hold down the home button to activate it. So I can see the point.
Old 11-07-14, 10:40 AM   #37
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Hey, don't you know that those big companies actually have great influence on how things get done in society's sociological framework? They can and will try to cater to their own interests above all else. I don't know if that is all right in the long term... It certainly isn't healthy for the average consumer.

Until we have an automaton as realistic as the one shown in THE MACHINE, I won't believe these big players are without some "evil" (= greedy, self-serving) intent.

But, until then I'll sit back and watch the show and see what becomes of this latest Amazon ploy...
Rage against that machine!

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 11-07-14, 11:05 AM   #38
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Both my note 3 and Note 4 can do voice activation hands free. It can't buy something with a single command though, nor would I want it to. Doesn't really work for my needs.
My smart phone is getting too old!

I thought the newer phones may have had something like that.
Old 11-07-14, 01:22 PM   #39
DVD Talk Legend

I requested an invite. I think it's a cool gadget for the price. I'm in the market for bluetooth speakers anyway and I know I can get cheaper ones but with all the other cool stuff it can do I'll bite. It's only $100. If I don't get an invite I wouldn't pay $200 for it.

I also like the idea that I can name it. Trying to decide between "cock sucker" and "ass hole". I guess I have time to figure that out.
Old 11-07-14, 01:32 PM   #40
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

You're over-thinking it. Sheesh...
Old 11-07-14, 02:45 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

I'd get this bitchy version of Alexa:

Old 11-07-14, 05:05 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Music: Listen to your Amazon Music Library, Prime Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio.

So those are the ones built-in, but it can stream from your phone as well.
So basically the same stuff I can play on my phone.

But heck, I requested an invite. I'm a sucker for Bluetooth speakers, but I don't see paying $99 for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I know, I like pointing it out
True, some people in this subforum may not read the others.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-09-14, 11:48 AM   #43
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I requested an invite, but I doubt I'll end up getting it. It has a lot of potential, but I don't know how much use I'd actually get out of it since I don't use Amazon for my music needs.

If there was a way to use the Echo to control my Sonos speakers though, then I'd be all over it. I do like the apparent ability to set alarms, timers, and add things to lists with just a voice command.

I know you can change the command from "Alexa" to something else. I wonder if you can change the voice from female to male too. If so, HAL is a no brainer for the command indicator.
Old 11-09-14, 10:37 PM   #44
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1) Rename to react to "computer"
2) Buy out Logitech and integrate into home theater. "Computers, tune TV to Monday night football."

I see this having some hickups, but great potential. The always on part is the key. I don't use Siri much, but have more lately when I don't have use of hands. Would be even better if always reactive, integrated into other devices, and doesn't choke at half the things you say.
Old 11-10-14, 11:38 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I wonder what the deal with the "Invitation" to buy is. If a Prime Member requests an invitation and is turned down, I'm sure he'd be pissed that he'd have to pay double instead. Any explanation anywhere as to who does or does not rate an invite?
Good point. As for why the "invitation"? Maybe I'm cynical but I think it is nothing more than marketing gimmick. Make something restricted and people will want it, even if they wouldn't want it if it were "readily available".
Old 11-10-14, 12:55 PM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want one (and signed up for the invite). I need a bluetooth speaker for the kitchen. I also want a robot to talk to when i'm drunk
Old 11-10-14, 01:05 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how long it takes to "boot up" when you turn it on.

If someone doesn't want it to be listening all the time could they plug it into a wall outlet connected to a light switch?
Old 11-11-14, 03:47 AM   #48
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I'd get this bitchy version of Alexa:

The reaction of her, oh okay after telling her about the tablespoons is perfect.

That's a very good point, unless she did zero baking all her life someone of any adult age would likely know that.
Old 11-11-14, 09:46 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you close your eyes while watching the video you'd think Drew Barrymore played the mom.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 11-12-14, 07:50 PM   #50
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I would probably use Siri a lot more if I didn't have to hold down the home button to activate it. So I can see the point.
If your iPhone is plugged in, saying "Hey Siri...." activates the feature.