DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Gmail Inbox --- Is it the best thing since sliced bread? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/623343-gmail-inbox-best-thing-since-sliced-bread.html)

joeblow69 11-06-14 12:14 PM

Re: Gmail Inbox --- Is it the best thing since sliced bread?

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 12293493)
This app doesn't, but as fumanstan says, Gmail 5.0 does and it works very well.

Groovy!

JTH182 11-07-14 05:40 PM

I tried Inbox, but didn't like it much. GMail 5.0 is much better for me, plus it allows me to get rid of the regular Email app I use for my Hotmail account, which must free up some resources.

Mr. Salty 11-07-14 05:47 PM

That may be the way I'm leaning, too. I like how clean Inbox looks, but Gmail 5.0 is cleaner looking, too, and I do have a Hotmail account I use for e-commerce. I like having that rolled into the Gmail app.

joeblow69 11-07-14 07:06 PM

It boggles my mind how they thought forcing us to use 2 email apps was a great idea for so long.

Mr. Salty 11-08-14 01:22 PM

Well, in their defense, I can see why they wouldn't put a lot of effort into helping people use competing services. I can't sign into Gmail using Microsoft's Outlook app either.

joeblow69 11-08-14 02:09 PM

I guess, but not even basic POP mail? that's hella lame. on the iPhone you can use their mail app to log into damn near anything.

Mr. Salty 11-08-14 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 12295483)
I guess, but not even basic POP mail? that's hella lame. on the iPhone you can use their mail app to log into damn near anything.

But email has never been a major part of Apple's business model the way Gmail is to Google. Notice you can't buy Android apps from Apple's App Store.

Also, I'm not sure people in 2014 still use the word "hella."

joeblow69 11-08-14 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 12295592)
But email has never been a major part of Apple's business model the way Gmail is to Google. Notice you can't buy Android apps from Apple's App Store.

Also, I'm not sure people in 2014 still use the word "hella."

The fact that google would rather force their users into clunky interfaces rather than allow a tiny bit of compatibility goes to show you the large divide between apple & google.

and hella is making a comeback .. you heard it here first!

Mr. Salty 11-09-14 01:49 AM

Yes, because between the two companies, Android is the one known for being rigid and closed off and Apple is open to letting users do whatever they want.

fumanstan 11-09-14 10:46 AM

Northern California people never stopped using hella :( It's always been hella lame. :p

Groucho 11-09-14 11:02 AM

Can somebody give a 30 second overview as to what makes this different than standard Gmail?

RoyalTea 11-09-14 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12295996)
Can somebody give a 30 second overview as to what makes this different than standard Gmail?

If you get an email and you read it and you're done with it, check it off as done and it moves into your archive. That's pretty easy to do with standard gmail.

But if you get an email and you know you'll need to act on it but don't want to act on it immediately, you can "snooze" it and it will temporarily move into your archive and come back to your inbox as new at a predetermined time.

Mr. Salty 11-09-14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12295996)

In addition to what RoyalTea said, Inbox also bundles similar messages into groups, like Travel, Finance and so forth. For example, any emails I get about online orders and shipping are grouped together. You can create categories, too, I think.

Snoozing messages or pinning them is handier than I expected.

Here's Google's video about Inbox:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bzNTjpUMOp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michael T Hudson 11-12-14 08:02 PM

Got a invite today. It seems pretty good so far.