Reload this Page >

Question about traveling to UK with iPhone

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-09-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I get a British iPhone charger to use with my American iPhone or should I just get an adapter? I know the American wall plug can handle either 110 or 220 but it seems easier to just get a British plug vs an adapter.
Old 10-09-14, 05:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 534 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: Question about traveling to UK with iPhone

Either option will work just fine. Go with whichever is cheaper.
Old 10-09-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

The benefit of an adapter is that you could use it for other devices if you need to charge or plug in other things. Other then that, seems like whichever is cheapest would be fine.
Old 10-09-14, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Singapore we use British plugs. Most of my hardware is from the USA due to the lower cost.

The plug adapters cost about $2-$3. The knockoff Apple chargers run about $6.

They have the Apple vending machine at Hethrow.

Prices in the UK will be comparable.

I used a prepaid Shuretel SIM there, if memory serves.
Old 10-09-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay cool. I was really only worried about having two things to potentially lose vs one.
Old 12-08-14, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laris,
There are several important points to mention.
First, you need to check the Charger for your IPhone to ensure that it's designed for "world operation". Look for the phrase Input Voltage 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz. If that's the case, you'll only need inexpensive Plug Adapters to operate in Europe.
Next, Plug Adapters. The U.K. style has three large rectangular pins, while the style used in continental Europe has two round pins. I'd suggest packing two of each type (they only cost a few dollars each).
The most important point to make is that you'll have to be VERY careful about using the data portion of your IPhone (E-mail and web surfing) in Europe, as data roaming charges can be extremely expensive! You might want to speak with AT&T to get details on any plans they might have that can reduce these charges somewhat. Many travellers using IPhones disable the data portion of the phone and just use it with Wi-Fi (where hot spots are available). I've seen reports of traveller's who return home to find a $3000 bill waiting in their mailbox.
I also travel alone and like to keep in touch with family. I use text as it's about the cheapest method. With my plan, outgoing texts are about 75 each, while incoming texts are free. I just use a basic "flip" Cell phone (nothing too fancy) but it works fine. If your parents also have a Cell phone, that might be an option to consider.
Good luck and happy travels!
Old 12-10-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a plug adapter and everything worked fine. T-Mobile international roaming for no extra charge is fantastic.