Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows 9+1 Thread

Old 11-11-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Windows 9+1 Thread

I seemingly have to 'forget' my headphones and re-synch them every time I want to use them.

Granted, it takes like a minute. Maybe I'm just impatient, and missing something ...
Old 11-11-18, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Thinkpad X220 notebook (7 years old) was running Windows 10 pretty well - better than you would think for a notebook this old. I got the 1803 update and now everything is brutally sluggish.

My wifi speeds used to be about 180mbps, and now it's around 40mbps.
Applications take about 5 times longer to launch, and even with applications loaded in memory - moving around in them is just so slow. Youtube videos, local video files, etc. I'd say overall the machine is about 4x slower.

Figured it might be a good time to reload the machine since it's been a couple years.

Installed Windows 10 and it's running great, and then did the 1803 update and everything is brutally slow again. All this without me adding anything on top of the OS. Tried using a different SSD-HD just in case, same thing. Updating drivers,etc. - nothing works.
Windows 10 runs great until 1803 is installed - and then everything goes to shit. It all comes down to 1803.

It's weird because the CPU isn't being taxed or anything - the CPU cycles are running at a normal level at all times. Don't have this problem on my other notebooks.

Not sure what the hell is going on with 1803 that's crippling my machine.
Old 11-12-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
I seemingly have to 'forget' my headphones and re-synch them every time I want to use them.

Granted, it takes like a minute. Maybe I'm just impatient, and missing something ...
Interesting, I had some early problems on one of my laptops with a Microsoft mouse that required removing and re-adding a device every once in awhile, but after an update somewhere along the line it started working fine. I don't know if it's Windows, certain bluetooth chips out there, or the accessories themselves.
Old 11-12-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Interesting, I had some early problems on one of my laptops with a Microsoft mouse that required removing and re-adding a device every once in awhile, but after an update somewhere along the line it started working fine. I don't know if it's Windows, certain bluetooth chips out there, or the accessories themselves.
I will always assume user error first, but this one is consistent, and seems to have generated a few user support threads out there.

Ahh well, such is life.
Old 11-12-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I no upgrade yet to the windows 10 the 7 still stay with me.

I no sure when I will have the windows 10 but I know for sure I hate intruders and stalkers.
Old 11-12-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I no upgrade yet to the windows 10 the 7 still stay with me.

I no sure when I will have the windows 10 but I know for sure I hate intruders and stalkers.
There's plenty of tools that disable the telemetry and other "spying" services Windows 10 does.
https://www.geckoandfly.com/25083/fr...-tracking-you/
Old 11-13-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
There's plenty of tools that disable the telemetry and other "spying" services Windows 10 does.
https://www.geckoandfly.com/25083/fr...-tracking-you/
Thanks for the info and the link
Old 12-04-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good bye Edge, we knew you well.

https://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ser-windows-10

I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, which uses a similar rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser known as Blink. Codenamed "Anaheim," this new browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform, according to my sources, who wish to remain anonymous. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface (UI) between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML in Windows 10's default browser is dead.
Old 12-04-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I barely knew it at all. It's basically "the thing you download Chrome from."
Old 12-04-18, 04:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Edge is the only microsoft app I use, for the bonus reward points.
Old 12-04-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft said to be working on stripped-down 'Windows Lite' OS to compete with Chrome OS

Microsoft is going on the offensive against Google now more than ever if recent findings are anything to go by. Earlier today, it was revealed that Microsoft is working on a new Chromium web browser to replace Edge and compete more directly with Chrome and Firefox.

Now, Petri reports that Microsoft is working on yet another lightweight iteration of Windows, similar to Windows 10 S and RT; both of which are stripped-down versions of the full-fat desktop Windows 10 experience.

This new Windows OS, simply called "Lite" for now, could directly take on Google's own minimalist Chrome OS.

Though the website believes Microsoft is targeting "Chromebooks" with this OS, it is not clear whether Petri is referring to the devices themselves, or merely their users. The latter seems more likely, as Microsoft probably won't be able to convince Google to implement a competing company's OS in its devices.

...there's a good chance that Microsoft's in-dev OS won't use Windows branding at all.

Despite referring to the OS as Windows 10 Lite, Petri says there's a good chance that Microsoft's in-dev OS won't use Windows branding at all. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't share features with Windows 10, but it could have an entirely different look and feel.
Source
Old 12-04-18, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pfffffttt! Microsoft is WAY behind the times, but finally a glimmer of hope!

I've been using my own custom-rolled "Windows Lite" ever since the XP days, and my Win 10 Lite only consumes about 2-3 GB installed vs 20 GB for the full "heaps of bullshit and spyware" version.

So, congrats Microsoft at properly cannibalzing yourself to make a usable OS, finally! Bravo. Or, not.
Old 12-04-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have a lot of faith after RT and 10 S, especially for my own use where anything that strips the full fledged usability of Windows just isn't appealing.
Old 12-05-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Me neither. But I do like Win10 standard, and with storage being so cheap these days the size hasn't been an issue.
Old 12-05-18, 05:55 PM

It's not so much the size, but the crap / bloat / interference that "regular" Win10 provides that a Lite version eliminates.
Old 12-06-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Haven't run into much of that either, though I do disable Cortana immediately.
Old 12-07-18, 08:09 PM

One bad thing about the recent proliferation of SSDs is that it gives people the feeling of not being so bloated, and thereby feeds into feature creep and other bloat nonsense by companies like Microsoft.

Still, Win10 full takes something like 15 seconds to boot fully while my Win10 lite boots in under 5 seconds. 10 seconds saved is nothing compared to the small memory footprint and general speediness that Win10 lite enlivens. I grant that Win10 "full" is miles ahead of Win 8 / 8.1 in every instance when it comes to stability, security, and usability.