Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What kind of light bulbs do you use at home?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: What type of light bulbs do you use (Multiple Choice)
Normal Incandescent
42.86%
Fluorescent
33.33%
LED
38.10%
CFL
69.05%
Something else
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-14, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a bit of everything. I have one LED, several fluorescent bulbs, some incandescent bulbs, no CFL (compact fluorescent) and I guess that's all there are, right? I am very slowly switching to LED.

Here in Japan I would say that most people use fluorescent lights, but more and more people are switching to LED.

Last edited by danwiz; 06-23-14 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: What kind of light buls do you use at home?

I use plenty of CFLs but my recessed lights are still incandescent as I don't like the CFL versions of those bulbs. LEDs are still too expensive and I don't like the way they behave on a dimmer switch.
Old 06-24-14, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Mostly cfl. Got them dirt cheap thanks to the utility company subsidies
Old 06-24-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did the whole-home conversion to CFL 4 years ago, but we realized within a couple of days that it was a HUGE mistake. The "light" that comes from CFL is ghastly. But, since we had made the expense, we tried to stick with it.

Then about three years in, many of our so-called 8-year CFL bulbs started failing. By the 3.5 year mark, almost half had failed (and yes, most of them were "name brand" bulbs such as GE and Philips).

So, this spring, when the price of LED bulbs took an expected nosedive, thanks to Cree turning the whole industry on its ear last year, we converted over to LED. Between sale prices, manufacturer rebates, and new innovations in LED, we averaged about $6.50 per bulb.

I am floored by the difference. LED is several orders of magnitude better than CFL in every conceivable way. The light is virtually indistinguishable from incandescent, you get instant-on full brightness, and they use even less energy than CFL did. Plus, you can now find some pretty cool decorative bulbs that were never even possible with CFL. Here's what we are using for our porch lights now, from IKEA:

They look spectacular at night.
Old 06-24-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
I use plenty of CFLs but my recessed lights are still incandescent as I don't like the CFL versions of those bulbs. LEDs are still too expensive and I don't like the way they behave on a dimmer switch.
There is a new generation of dimmer switches available that address the issues with LED (and CFL, for that matter). They are no more expensive than the old style dimmers, but it does require replacing ones that you already have.
Old 06-24-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Everything that I could change to LED I did. I have a florescent tube light in the kitchen that I can't do anything about and I have a ceiling fan that uses candelabra style incandescent that I haven't looked into converting to LED yet.
Old 06-24-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What kind of light bulbs do you use at home?

Our state energy program has made CFL significantly cheaper than even incandescent, something like a dozen 60w bulbs for $.75. So that's the vast majority of our lighting.

We also have:

4 fluorescent. 3 fluorescent bar lights for under cabinet counter top lighting. A fluorescent floor uplight lamp.

2 incandescent lights. A porch light because in the winter CFLs are dim when very cold and take a while to warm up. An oddball bulb that came with a bathroom fan/heater ceiling unit and hasn't needed replacement yet.

1 LED. We remodeled last year and used an LED ceiling fixture in a new entry hallway because it was only $23. Considering a basic fixture would have been $10 by itself, the LED option was a very good buy. I believe it was subsidized by the state energy program as well.
Old 06-24-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Everything that I could change to LED I did. I have a florescent tube light in the kitchen that I can't do anything about and I have a ceiling fan that uses candelabra style incandescent that I haven't looked into converting to LED yet.
There are several on this page that might interest you, anywhere from 90-400 lumen.
Old 06-24-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

I have a new home and the builder installed fixtures with GU24 CFL bulbs (the type with the two prongs). They're a minor pain in the butt because the bulbs are more expensive and they have a higher-than normal failure rate. I bought some Edison-style twist adapters on Amazon and I'm slowly replacing the bulbs with normal CFLs as they burn out. I replaced the exterior bulbs with LEDs as we leave them on all night for security reasons -- figure that will be the location we see some very minor savings as the LEDs only use 4.5 watts vs. the 13-watt CFLs they replaced.
Old 06-24-14, 03:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

We use a little bit of everything: Incandescent in the dimmable chandelier, florescent in the basement, CFLs in most of the lamps, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, and LEDs in a couple of decorative strings we have for looks.
Old 06-24-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

CFLs mostly. A chandelier is my only remaining light which is incandescent. I would switch over to LED, but even 6.50 per bulb is expensive (and where can I get them for $6.50? Most I'm seeing are still > $15 per bulb). It'll take a long time for LEDs to get down to $0.50 per bulb. Incandescent use WAY too much power, and they've been phased out in Calif, I believe?
Old 06-25-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
CFLs mostly. A chandelier is my only remaining light which is incandescent. I would switch over to LED, but even 6.50 per bulb is expensive (and where can I get them for $6.50? Most I'm seeing are still > $15 per bulb). It'll take a long time for LEDs to get down to $0.50 per bulb. Incandescent use WAY too much power, and they've been phased out in Calif, I believe?
$6.50 isn't really that expensive when you consider the life of the bulb. As for where you can get them, I bought mine at places like Costco, IKEA, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, pretty much all the usual suspects. The most I paid was $9, the least I paid was $3. The IKEA bulbs I pictured above cost $4.50 each.

But if that is still too much, then just wait a year or two. You'll start seeing plenty of LED bulbs in the $3-4 price range in that time.
Old 06-25-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't have any LED yet, but I have a little of everything else. I only replace them when they burn out, so there's quite a mixture. I was doing mostly incandescent still for the last several years, but those are harder to find now and I've mainly been replacing them with CFL's when needed.
Old 06-25-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A mix of everything here too.

A few weeks ago I bought some LED from Costco, but I haven't used them yet.
Old 06-25-14, 11:49 AM
Political Exile

Mix as well
Old 06-25-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mostly CFL, a few philips hue controllable LED's, and some regular led's.
Old 06-25-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
$6.50 isn't really that expensive when you consider the life of the bulb. As for where you can get them, I bought mine at places like Costco, IKEA, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, pretty much all the usual suspects. The most I paid was $9, the least I paid was $3. The IKEA bulbs I pictured above cost $4.50 each.

But if that is still too much, then just wait a year or two. You'll start seeing plenty of LED bulbs in the $3-4 price range in that time.
Thanks for the info. Didn't even know Costco had the LEDs. $3-4 per bulb is getting quite affordable, so I'll be switching out my CFLs soon.
Old 06-25-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

All of the bulbs in my apartment are CFLs.
Old 06-26-14, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I switched most everything to CFL 7 - 8 years ago. Only had 2 fail... One a few years ago and the other over the past winter. Still a few incandescents (front porch, laundry room, over the bathroom sinks). Once the CFLs go I'm switching to LED for the ones I use the most. I still have some extra CFLs to swap out the lesser used lamps as they die.
Old 06-26-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
$6.50 isn't really that expensive when you consider the life of the bulb.
Yeah well... You pointed out in your earlier post that your CFL bulbs didn't last even half their "expected life span". Eight years was promised but they lasted only 3 to 3.5. I had a similar (but even worse) experience. What makes you think LED will be different? Don't get me wrong, I hope they are. I have to buy bulbs soon and won't buy CFL again.
Old 06-26-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since this seems to be the Lighting Thread, does anybody know if LED's give off UV? I have a room in my house where I use halogen bulbs with UV filters to protect some things from light damage.
Old 06-26-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Yeah well... You pointed out in your earlier post that your CFL bulbs didn't last even half their "expected life span". Eight years was promised but they lasted only 3 to 3.5. I had a similar (but even worse) experience. What makes you think LED will be different? Don't get me wrong, I hope they are. I have to buy bulbs soon and won't buy CFL again.
The primary reason I think they will be different is the fact that the chief failure point in a CFL is the ballast. Have you ever noticed the acrid odor that accompanies a CFL "burn-out"? That is the smell of the fried ballast. It needs to produce a very high voltage (around 600 volts) in order to excite the mercury enough to produce light, and this puts a significant strain on it.

LED, on the other hand, is a very low voltage device. It uses a simple transformer rather than a ballast. While these can fail, they are less likely to in normal usage. Of course, LED elements themselves can fail, but again, unless there is a specific manufacturing issue, they are much less likely to do so.

However, even with that said, cost of the two is not that different. The claimed life of an LED bulb is three to four times that of a CFL. Even if a bulb does fail halfway through its expected life, I should still get more than a decade of use out of it. With an average cost of $6.50 (my experience, not necessarily anyone else's) and an average life of 12 years, that works out to an average of a little over 50 cents per bulb per year. By comparison, the best price I've seen for CFLs is a 3-pack of Feit 800 lumen bulbs for $2.50. Following the same math (and assuming a life of 3 years), that would work out to a bit over 25 cents per bulb per year. Bear in mind, that is a best price for cheap spiral bulbs, not an average. Decorative CFLs are still in the $3-5 range per bulb.

For me, that extra 25 cents per bulb per year is more than offset by the quality of light I get from LED. And, the trend of falling LED bulb prices will obviously bring the overall cost even closer within two years. I expect CFL to effectively disappear from the market within five years max.
Old 06-26-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
Since this seems to be the Lighting Thread, does anybody know if LED's give off UV? I have a room in my house where I use halogen bulbs with UV filters to protect some things from light damage.
They do not. The UV in CFLs from from the mercury. LEDs won't cause light damage.
Old 06-27-14, 10:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

LEDs for outside lighting. Mixture of normal incandescent and CFL indoors. CFL technology seems to be getting better, though price still sucks. Stocked up on incandescent a couple years back shortly before they were being pulled off the shelves.
Old 06-27-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
LEDs for outside lighting. Mixture of normal incandescent and CFL indoors. CFL technology seems to be getting better, though price still sucks. Stocked up on incandescent a couple years back shortly before they were being pulled off the shelves.
I'm a bit confused. I don't understand how the price of CFLs (or LEDs for that matter) bothers you, but the insane cost of running incandescents doesn't. Even if you were to pay $10 for a CFL/LED, the electricity cost savings in the first year compared to incandescent would almost pay for the bulb (based on typical/average usage).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.