Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 09-08-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Prob going to get the Nike + version of the Apple Watch. Did they upgrade the storage on rev 2 or is it still 8gbs?

Old 09-08-16, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Frankly I feel like the AW2 is a very minor upgrade over the first, and given that the first will remain on sale but with the new processor, I think Apple knows it.
I think it depends on how much your into fitness. I think GPS, full water proof, and advanced swim modes are big. GPS is enough to get me to upgrade.

I think appealing to swimmers is interesting. Obviously a small market, but while there are many "running" watches in a variety of prices and features, those that include swim features are much less available. And more expensive. Would be appealing to swimmers including triathletes.

And I don't know that I agree that just because they keep the prior model at a lower price point means "it's a minor upgrade and they know it". That is sort of there model. Every new iPhone introduced has left the previous version available.

And I think a smart move since there are now 2 versions. One with GPS and one without. So they can appeal to those who want to use it for exercise a lot and those that don't. If I didn't use mine for working out so much, I'd look more seriously at one of the non-aluminum models.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-08-16 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did they drop the gold (sold gold) version? Apple Watch Edition shows the ceramic version.
Old 09-08-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Did they drop the gold (sold gold) version? Apple Watch Edition shows the ceramic version.
solid gold version was dropped.
Old 09-08-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
solid gold version was dropped.
Wow! Guess that is why they only upgraded some stores to stock them.

I like the ceramic, but not the white color.
Old 09-08-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not surprised about the gold. Even the rappers I see wearing one don't have the gold. Making a solid gold version of anything considered disposable is a silly move.
Old 09-08-16, 11:59 AM
Banned

Was going to consider ore ordering but just don't see selling out. Am I crazy to think that?
Old 09-08-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess would be on easy to buy on launch day. I can't imagine many current Watch users will be running to the store to update to the new. And I don't see enough here to convince other people to buy it who weren't sold on the first.
Old 09-08-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will AW 2 come with stronger vibrate? I want one that will shake my arm off.
Old 09-08-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes it is. The setting will be called the "Holy Hell" Haptic.
Old 09-08-16, 05:37 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I think it depends on how much your into fitness. I think GPS, full water proof, and advanced swim modes are big. GPS is enough to get me to upgrade.

I think appealing to swimmers is interesting. Obviously a small market, but while there are many "running" watches in a variety of prices and features, those that include swim features are much less available. And more expensive. Would be appealing to swimmers including triathletes.

And I don't know that I agree that just because they keep the prior model at a lower price point means "it's a minor upgrade and they know it". That is sort of there model. Every new iPhone introduced has left the previous version available.

And I think a smart move since there are now 2 versions. One with GPS and one without. So they can appeal to those who want to use it for exercise a lot and those that don't. If I didn't use mine for working out so much, I'd look more seriously at one of the non-aluminum models.
I agree it has nice fitness upgrades, but it seems like Apple has conceded that the watch really isn't useful for anything but fitness applications.

And yes, Apple does keep older iPhones on sale, but they don't upgrade the internals. The AW1 going forward will have the S2 processor, meaning the biggest difference between the two is GPS.
Old 09-08-16, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder if the HR monitor is any better, it was terrible on first gen once you actually got moving around (for me at least). I know the wrist isn't ideal but that'd be an advancement that would get me interested.
Old 09-08-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree it has nice fitness upgrades, but it seems like Apple has conceded that the watch really isn't useful for anything but fitness applications.

And yes, Apple does keep older iPhones on sale, but they don't upgrade the internals. The AW1 going forward will have the S2 processor, meaning the biggest difference between the two is GPS.
I admit they seem to be mainly focusing on fitness. I think they see the success of Fitbit and think they can do that as a "hook" to get people in.

I certainly agree this was not a revolution, but a fine tuning.

Didn't the iPhone CE take the body of an older phone put put in current guts? Tho I guess that was technically a new phone.
Old 09-08-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Wonder if the HR monitor is any better, it was terrible on first gen once you actually got moving around (for me at least). I know the wrist isn't ideal but that'd be an advancement that would get me interested.
In what way? Do you mean it wasn't accurate or wasn't consistent?

I view it similar the your bathroom scale vs the one at the Dr's office. It's not a matter if it matches exactly, but is your consistent enough to be useful to achieve goals?

My last trip to the Dr she read my pulse differently that my AW. I aske her to "count again" and she ended up much closer (but not exactly) as my watch.

I never consider any "home" health item like this as good or perfectly accurate as the pro's. But I hope they are consistent. And mine seems consistent. I've run a dozen or more times now that Nike+ is reading HR off the watch. And by and large it seems consistent. Tho it failed to read at all a couple times and haven't figured that out yet.
Old 09-09-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it seems that way because the announcements yesterday were largely hardware, but remember that watchOS 3 is also coming out, and the changes there were about improving apps generally (quicker access to them on the dock, quicker start by pre-loading data, etc.). Fitness may be a specific market entry point they are targeting (and partnering with Nike is a smart move there), but I don't think they are giving up in any way on the rest of the functionality.
Old 09-09-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because it's not? The lack of innovation in the smartwatch space (iOS & Android) leads me to believe that there isn't much there. It's been a few years now and they're still offering the same feature set with minor improvements. Platform already appears stale.
Old 09-09-16, 10:53 PM
Banned

well best buy has the original AW 42 for 219 and 38 for 189. maybe I don't need gps and 50 water proof

question:

The new watches are talking about sharing workouts with friends, family etc, new comprehensive workout apps, pokemon go et..

these are are software. Will they be available on all the watches or just series 1 and AW 2?

So i the wife has original AW and I have series 1 or 2 we can't share etc?
Old 09-10-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
well best buy has the original AW 42 for 219 and 38 for 189. maybe I don't need gps and 50 water proof

question:

The new watches are talking about sharing workouts with friends, family etc, new comprehensive workout apps, pokemon go et..

these are are software. Will they be available on all the watches or just series 1 and AW 2?

So i the wife has original AW and I have series 1 or 2 we can't share etc?
I believe you are correct.

Tho I should be able too tell u 100% next week. I'll upgrade my current AW to the new OS as I'll wait for the Nike Version that comes out in Oct for series 2.
Old 09-16-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked up new phone today. They had the Nike AW there to show. The bands do look good. I like.
Old 09-21-16, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish the new Nike Watch would get here.

The new Nike+ Running Club app sux on the original watch. It is tons slower to wake up and update. It also has crashed every run so far.

Nike probably is the issue, but this is aweful.
Old 10-10-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a Black SS AW2 last week (Anniversary Gift)...didn't have one before. I do like it and am actually impressed with the battery life and the usefulness. I wasn't totally sold since I can't see without reading glasses, but I can use it more than I thought without glasses.
Old 10-19-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, is there any NICE Space Grey Stainless Steel bands that aren't Apple priced?
Old 10-24-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm getting iWatch 2 this Friday and it will be my first. Any advice?
Old 10-24-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by McHawkson View Post
I'm getting iWatch 2 this Friday and it will be my first. Any advice?
Check out the options online. The Apple reps I dealt with in Store were pretty useless, but this depends on the store.

If you don't need gps or plan to swim with it then series one will be fine.

Also keep in mind that sapphire crystal is only offered in series two stainless or above , so you are looking at at least$550.

Stainless steel is significantly heavier than the aluminum version.

Size wise, most men prefer the 42mm.

Personally I picked up a first gen 42mm stainless steel with Milanese band and Apple Care plus for around $200 and gotta say i really like it except for no always on feature and is slow to open apps.The second gen is supposed to be much faster, but getting one specd to what I want would be $700 so I opted for the used first gen option.
Old 10-24-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watch OS 3.1 is out

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/24/...ith-bug-fixes/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.