Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 05-14-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

One improvement I hope they make, is when you get a notification and decide to actually click on it to go to the site (like ESPN or CNN), it doesn't take you to the story that caused the notification. It just takes you to he front page.

Also, yesterday was the first day since I had the watch I didn't do a formal exercise. But I did a lot of dancing, walking and lifting of stuff as went to a great concert. It did give me some exercise credit. Not enough to "close my circle" but it did give me some.
Old 05-14-15, 04:13 PM
Banned by request

It hasn't been giving me much stand credit today, even though I've gotten up and moved around a decent amount. Meh.
Old 05-14-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It hasn't been giving me much stand credit today, even though I've gotten up and moved around a decent amount. Meh.
I've gotten my circled closed every day on standing. I'm not sure how it knows. But seems to know....for example, I have a rule, if I'm drinking beer, I stand at the bar, not sit in a bar stool. Yet even if I'm standing more than an hour, I won't get a "time to stand" notice.

But truth be told, even though "sitting is the new smoking" several articles I've read mention the healthier you are, the more you do formal exercise, that "just" standing may not counter a lot of sitting. That yes, it very much helps the couch potato. But those that are active, seem to need to do more than stand. By and large. So I figure the stand feature is just a bonus.
Old 05-14-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
One improvement I hope they make, is when you get a notification and decide to actually click on it to go to the site (like ESPN or CNN), it doesn't take you to the story that caused the notification. It just takes you to he front page.
I would hazard a guess that it would be the app devs who made that call.
Old 05-14-15, 09:03 PM
Banned by request

I think many of the apps we have now will be refined as devs get a feel for the watch and the best use cases.
Old 05-15-15, 01:19 PM
Banned by request

Adappt is officially dead. According to the founders, all money is being refunded, and they reached out to the Click team and got a 5% off code for all the Adappt backers, which is really cool of them. I ordered one aluminum Click with the 5% off, and beyond that will wait for MFAW certified third party bands, or some crazy sale on the leather loop.
Old 05-15-15, 08:04 PM
Banned by request

MacID, the unlocking app I mentioned before, is on sale now for $1. I highly recommend it, one of the most used apps on my watch.
Old 05-15-15, 10:06 PM
Banned by request

Okay, the stand measurements are completely off on my watch. There have been multiple times today where I've been up and moving around for a good part of an hour and never got standing credit. I know I shouldn't care, but I wonder if there's something slightly off with my watch.
Old 05-16-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, the stand measurements are completely off on my watch. There have been multiple times today where I've been up and moving around for a good part of an hour and never got standing credit. I know I shouldn't care, but I wonder if there's something slightly off with my watch.
It very well could be off. My post earlier was about it not being perfect. However, I do think it accurate. I was on my feet pretty much all day yesterday and it gave me 16/12 standing credit. I'd have it checked out if it way off.

And I kind of had the fitness rings wrong in my head. I thought they were three distinct and seperate goals. When in fact they relate to each other.

For example, right now I have my move goal set at 500 calories thinking I'd like to get that in addition to my exercise goal (which I aim for 500 calories on average). But every time I get a good workout out, I reach both my exercise and move goals. So if I get a run in, in the AM 2 of my 3 rings are closed.

I'd like to be able set it so move does not take into account formal exercise. Not sure how that would work. But now, since my goal for formal exercise is 500 the recommendation Apple gave me of like 650 makes more sense. I think I'll go up to 700 for this next week and see how that works.

I'd also like to adjust the exercise goal. I know you can get more than 100% but I'd like to set it for 45 minutes. To me the power of something like this is realizing "I'm almost there, I just need xxxx". Not as motivating if you already "closed the circle".
Old 05-16-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made it two solid days on one charge. I was down to 5% but I made it.
Old 05-16-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ordered my watch the afternoon of April 10th.

I finally have shipping "dates" on ...
  • Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop and AppleCare+: "Delivers: 22 Jun, 2015 - 29 Jun, 2015 by Standard Shipping"
  • 42mm Black Sport Band: "Delivers: 26 May, 2015 - 01 Jun, 2015 by Standard Shipping"

Old 05-17-15, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Had some time yesterday and looked at the blue leather loop. I really like it and think it gives the SG Sport a distinctive, but classy look. Still could not pull the trigger. Just think that is silly expensive.

But right now Apple themselves have little to go with the dark watches.

Monodesigns is supposed to start shipping this week. I may try a band from them first.
Old 05-17-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I made it two solid days on one charge. I was down to 5% but I made it.
That's fantastic. I think I could get 18, but that likely is about it.

I turned the brightness down on mine. Visually I see little difference, but I'm hoping it stretch life a bit.
Old 05-17-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
I ordered my watch the afternoon of April 10th.

I finally have shipping "dates" on ...
  • Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop and AppleCare+: "Delivers: 22 Jun, 2015 - 29 Jun, 2015 by Standard Shipping"
  • 42mm Black Sport Band: "Delivers: 26 May, 2015 - 01 Jun, 2015 by Standard Shipping"

Very cool. I don't think I've seen a metal band "in the wild". Shipping must be speeding up a bit. When I went to Apple Store to look at bands, of course he saw I had my watch. He showed me his that he got "yesterday". He said Apple was filling customer orders ahead of employee.
Old 05-17-15, 06:52 PM
Banned by request

He didn't order a link band, he ordered a Milanese and a sport band.
Old 05-17-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea...the only bands I've seen in the wild have been plastic.

Girl next to me at concert last night had the 38mm sport w/white band. Actually looked pretty nice.
Old 05-18-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So while I know any 42mm band will fit the Sport SG, realistically there are only three specifically designed from Apple, correct?

1) Black plastic (all other colors have silver hardware)
2) Leather Loop (all colors would work as there is no hardware visable)
3) Black link

I'm Eliminating any gold versions for obvious reasons. And really the black link as well for the same reason.

I have the black plastic, so that means really, only the leather loop from Apple.

I really like the look of the monowear design link. But it appears the color is off just a touch. That it is black instead of space grey,

http://superphen.co/2015/05/13/unbox...r-apple-watch/

Interesting and a bit frustrating that the Apple Watch is black but the Sport is grey. So I guess technically, even the Apple link band is not for the Sport.

I know not everyone even has their watches, but I'm looking for a new everyday band.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-18-15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a pic of my Steel 42mm with the Leather band.

Spoiler:
Old 05-18-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Very nice!! Looks great!
Old 05-18-15, 08:14 PM
Banned by request

I keep switching between Simple, Color, and Modular for my watch face. They all appeal to me for different reasons.
Old 05-18-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep switching between Simple, Color, and Modular for my watch face. They all appeal to me for different reasons.
Exactly...which is what I gave on the survey Apple sent me...you should be able to mix and match at will. I've stuck with Color as that is the only one you can add a "signature" too or whatever they call it. I started with the Apple symbol, but now have 13.1 as that is the race motivation I have (half marathon).
Old 05-18-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got this...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1431104358

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/a...me-travel-case

I like it. Loaded in my extra power cord...plan on loading in my BT Headphones, and when I get an extra band or three. Will be good to keep things together and throw in my backpack carry on when I travel.

Also, I set my Active calories from 500 to 700 for the week. I'm already at 825...so that is cool. Only ran an easy 5k today...so maybe 700 calories isn't a good goal.
Old 05-18-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So as I continue my search for an "everyday" band, I've mentioned really like the blue leather loop band, but if you look closely, the there is visible hardware that is silver. This is in contrast to the Space Gray of the SG Sport version.

https://youtu.be/GoyDFAOXtF0

Now, I'm not getting into the issue of "is this really going to bother you", but clearly the band was made specifically for the silver sport or SS Watch versions.

So which bands even by Apple, were specifically made for the SG Sport? I now question even the black leather loop. I mean, black is not space grey, right?
Old 05-18-15, 10:14 PM
Banned by request

Black is not space grey but the black sport band is also not space grey and it comes with the space grey. So I think the black leather loop would be fine to use with the space grey, if you can stomach $150 for a single watch band and have no issues with the magnets (some people say that slight movement of the magnets causes a sensation that feels like haptic feedback, creating false positives).

I'm continuing to wait for adapters and MFAW certified bands.
Old 05-19-15, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I tried on the watches, the black leather loop was my fav.. There is no way Im spending $150 for it though. Hopefully I can find a cheaper alternative. And also, it seems like an eternity since I ordered. It will be time to upgrade by the time I get mine!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.