Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 04-25-15, 02:23 PM
Banned by request

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Did you check that user guide I posted?
Old 04-25-15, 02:27 PM

I remember when Steve Jobs was at Apple, his motto for devices was "No manual needed". This is clearly no longer the case. "Simply memorize 1500+ unintuitive gestures, and soon you too will be able to use your Apple Watch!"
Old 04-25-15, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

I remember when Steve Jobs was alive too. There wasn't an Apple Watch back then.
Old 04-25-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Here's a tip for sizing:

Take a credit card, hold it lengthwise down your arm starting at your wrist (so if you're arm is parallel to your chest, put the credit card on your arm so you can read the name and numbers). If the credit card eclipses the width of your wrist, you need a 38mm. If the credit card is about equal to the width of your wrist, you can get either, but the 42mm might look just a little big. If your wrist exceeds the width of the credit card, the 38mm will look hilariously small on you.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-25-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

Thoughts?
You need to use a real credit card for me to be able to tell. Also flip it over and post a photo of the back of the card as well.

It really depends on the person. I went with the 42 and I think it looks fine.
Old 04-25-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
You need to use a real credit card for me to be able to tell. Also flip it over and post a photo of the back of the card as well.

It really depends on the person. I went with the 42 and I think it looks fine.
Nice try Your not getting my free coffee that I've spent about $10,000 to get Mr!

Here is my everyday watch which I believe is 42mm,

And with the 42mm actual size Apple Watch cut out sitting on top of it.

I do know Apple Watch was a lot lighter than that MK (Fossil).

Once the watch comes in, I'll make an appointment with the Apple Store. And go directly there. Surely they have to have some for exchange if I really want to change.

But the bigger screen has to be easier to read. And IIR, the bigger watch has a bigger battery (but bigger screen to power).
Old 04-26-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
I've been following along with a post on macrumors where people are posting up their watches (wristies are the new selfies). They do look nice and the posters are practically swooning over themselves.

But how long before people forget they're wearing sport watches and start bitching about how easily those bands get dirty from the sweat, dirt, and grime? I bet it's gonna be a thing.
"Fade-gate" is coming,

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-...nds-over-time/

Or "scratch-gate"

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/26/apple-...fix-scratches/

I use my iPhone a lot and don't baby it. It has a few scratches on it and I really don't care. I'll treat watch the same. But I think there is a difference in that the watch is a fashion statement.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-26-15 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-26-15, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

I would not count on Apple Stores having any stock, even for warranty replacements. I can't tell if that card is exactly the width of your wrist or a bit bigger. If it's bigger, go 38mm. If it's the same width, you can stick to the 42mm. My wrists are considerably bigger than the credit card and I think the 42mm looks a tad small on me (see picture I posted from earlier in this thread).
Old 04-26-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would not count on Apple Stores having any stock, even for warranty replacements. I can't tell if that card is exactly the width of your wrist or a bit bigger. If it's bigger, go 38mm. If it's the same width, you can stick to the 42mm. My wrists are considerably bigger than the credit card and I think the 42mm looks a tad small on me (see picture I posted from earlier in this thread).
The card is bigger. No doubt. And the 42mm Apple Watch I tried on seemed big. But I don't think my MK watch is big. I have an even bigger MK watch I occasionally wear. It maybe the square shape v. Round.

I'll have to go try them on again. I really want the bigger size for easier to read when running.

I have the 42mm coming. Think should be here 5/13-27. Hopefully supply will be caught up by June. After I try on again, I'll decide if I want to order a 38mm.
Old 04-26-15, 04:56 PM
Banned by request

You can also set up larger text in the accessibility settings. Ultimately, it's whatever you like best of course. That's just a handy rule of thumb.
Old 04-26-15, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Obey The D and/or Groucho, I've heard complaints that it's tough to get a good read of the time on the analog-style watch faces, because of having to wait for the screen to light up and how quickly it disappears. Thoughts on this? Also, can you set a world clock complication on an analog-style face for where you live, which would give you a digital-style readout as well?
Old 04-26-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Obey The D and/or Groucho, I've heard complaints that it's tough to get a good read of the time on the analog-style watch faces, because of having to wait for the screen to light up and how quickly it disappears. Thoughts on this? Also, can you set a world clock complication on an analog-style face for where you live, which would give you a digital-style readout as well?

I have no issue with being able to see the time, but you can set a world clock complication if you need to. The world clocks on the watch are mirrored from ones you've added to your phone.
Old 04-26-15, 06:18 PM

Obey The D and/or Groucho, I've heard complaints that it's tough to get a good read of the time on the analog-style watch faces, because of having to wait for the screen to light up and how quickly it disappears.
I felt this way at first, but now that I'm more used to how long the phone stays lit it's not really an issue. And as noted, you can "cheat" on most of them by putting the digital equivalent on one of the complications.

Thought this was cool: https://twitter.com/hverlind/status/592249808972288000
Old 04-26-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I felt this way at first, but now that I'm more used to how long the phone stays lit it's not really an issue. And as noted, you can "cheat" on most of them by putting the digital equivalent on one of the complications.

Thought this was cool: https://twitter.com/hverlind/status/592249808972288000
That is really good.

When I was looking for a running watch, I read about how they work compared to a phone compared to an official race course. I don't remember all the details, but there are often differences between a phone and running watch and phones also use cell towers to help triangulate. And both could be off from an actual officially measures race as for official measurements they don't use satellites. And always measure that the inside most curve (absolute shortest route) yet when running few can run that exact route.

Anyway, the issue is more about consistency than absolute to the inch accuracy. And I've used my phone both inside and out and find it pretty darn consistent. So much so inside, I trust it more than the treadmill as each one at my gym is slightly different.
Old 04-26-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's the one I would get as well. I'm going to try the wrist-based HR monitor first and see if I feel the need for the chest one.
Got it in today. Connected with phone and Nike+ quick and easy. I'll actually try it on a run tomorrow.

I went ahead and got as I had read where Apple will not be letting 3rd party apps access the HR of the watch. At least for now. And I plan to continue to use my Nike+ app (which does work with Apple Watch) for most if not all my runs. I'll use Apple's for non-run days.

Now if Apples run program will push to my Nike, than I'll reconsider.
Old 04-27-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got it in today. Connected with phone and Nike+ quick and easy. I'll actually try it on a run tomorrow.

I went ahead and got as I had read where Apple will not be letting 3rd party apps access the HR of the watch. At least for now. And I plan to continue to use my Nike+ app (which does work with Apple Watch) for most if not all my runs. I'll use Apple's for non-run days.

Now if Apples run program will push to my Nike, than I'll reconsider.
No Apple Watch, but the Health app on my iPhone does allow the heart rate measurement to be shared with the Nike+ app. I have no idea what Nike+ does with the data - perhaps it can in some way use the timestamps to overlay the heart rates with a Nike+ workout, hopefully? Or it is only a real-time thing?

And of course, does this require the iPhone to be present during the run, or will those settings somehow transfer over to the Watch for use without the iPhone?
Old 04-27-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ummmm....no.

Turn your SG Sport into gold.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/27/85...y-paint-how-to
Old 04-27-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
No Apple Watch, but the Health app on my iPhone does allow the heart rate measurement to be shared with the Nike+ app. I have no idea what Nike+ does with the data - perhaps it can in some way use the timestamps to overlay the heart rates with a Nike+ workout, hopefully? Or it is only a real-time thing?

And of course, does this require the iPhone to be present during the run, or will those settings somehow transfer over to the Watch for use without the iPhone?
Yea, I saw that. I also didn't realize the HR moniter would sync w/treadmill at gym....I couldn't stop staring at it!

Have to do some research. HR seemed for what I consider a normal 4.10 mile run.
Old 04-27-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1872987

People showing off their watch face and home screens. I didn't realize you could customize the ho,e screen and put apps in different places. Very cool.
Old 04-27-15, 07:10 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's no pointy hands? (Besides Mickey which is literally a pointing hand )
Old 04-28-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick question. I have a sport watch ordered and seeing as the bands are interchangeable, can you order one of the Milanese Loops or Classic Buckle bands and switch them out with the sport face or can you only interchange other sport bands?
Old 04-28-15, 09:11 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1872987

People showing off their watch face and home screens. I didn't realize you could customize the ho,e screen and put apps in different places. Very cool.
Great! I love hoe screens!
Old 04-28-15, 09:18 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
Quick question. I have a sport watch ordered and seeing as the bands are interchangeable, can you order one of the Milanese Loops or Classic Buckle bands and switch them out with the sport face or can you only interchange other sport bands?
You can use any band. Whether or not they'll look good is another matter, since you will be pairing brushed aluminum with polished steel.
Old 04-28-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can use any band. Whether or not they'll look good is another matter, since you will be pairing brushed aluminum with polished steel.
Yeah, the aesthetics part I wasn't sure would match up, but was just curious. Thanks!
Old 04-28-15, 10:09 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocketsauce View Post
Yeah, the aesthetics part I wasn't sure would match up, but was just curious. Thanks!
haven't seen any real world shots yet of the sport w/ milanese band but you can get a close idea here:

http://mixyourwatch.com/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.