Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 04-24-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Runners World has their hands on one,

http://www.runnersworld.com/electron...ort_code=2v779

More to come...

I've noticed several runners watches are on sale, or have lower prices. I do think Apple Watch will shake up that segment.
Old 04-24-15, 06:00 PM
Banned by request

No update from Obey The D? I am disappoint!
Old 04-24-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
No update from Obey The D? I am disappoint!
Quick initial impressions:

UPS didn't show up till almost 7pm. It's very easy to setup. I had it up and running with all the compatible apps in a few minutes. The sport band is extremely soft and very comfortable. Text message notifications work great on it. First you get a chime and haptic feedback, then when you lift your wrist the message pops up. I like the option of only having mail from your VIP contacts sent to the watch. That way my wrist isn't buzzing every two minutes.

The screen looks great and the font is extremely clear and easy to read. Glances works great. Just swipe up on the screen and swipe left to right to access whatever you've added to it. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask away.
Old 04-24-15, 08:57 PM

My watch only stays lit for a few seconds and goes black immediately. Working as intended?
Old 04-24-15, 09:13 PM
Banned by request

Not sure if serious, but yes.
Old 04-24-15, 09:25 PM

Why would that be a joke? I don't like the watch going black right after I look at it.
Old 04-24-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Why would that be a joke? I don't like the watch going black right after I look at it.
I wish they gave you the option to extend it longer before it goes dark. 5 seconds is to quick IMO.
Old 04-24-15, 09:33 PM
Banned by request

It's been a big knock by critics of the watch that there is no always on screen with the watch, so I wasn't sure if you were making a joke related to that or if you had a genuine question about the watch.

Anyway, the watch is designed to be used in short bursts for the most part, and in order to get the 18 hour battery life, Apple decided that when the watch isn't being looked at (determined by raising your wrist or physically interacting with the watch), it will go black. As far as I know there's no way to disable this. It should stay on for five or six seconds I believe before going black again. If you want to wake it while your wrist is still raised, you can tap the digital crown.
Old 04-24-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've played around with it quite a bit and have gotten a lot of text messages. My battery is down from 72 percent to 55 after four hours, so it should easily make it through a full day for me.
Old 04-24-15, 09:37 PM
Banned by request

I don't think battery life will be an issue once the watches don't have that shiny new sheen on them and we're just using them as intended, instead of playing with the features and changing the settings, etc.
Old 04-24-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What watch face are you using Groucho? I'm using the color face and have it set to blue. Looks great IMO.
Old 04-24-15, 09:41 PM
Banned by request

By the way, Apple has produced a guide that goes through all the features and systems in the Watch: http://help.apple.com/watch/#/

It's worth going through because the Watch isn't a direct analog to the phone in terms of behaviors.
Old 04-24-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The HRM seems accurate. It went over 100 once OT started in the NY Rangers game.
Old 04-24-15, 09:58 PM

I'm using Mickey.
Old 04-25-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What size did you guys get, and what do you think of the size?

A quick 2 min try on had me thinking the 42mm was a bit big even though it is roughly the same size as my everyday wear watch.

Here is an u boxing and size comparison. No Apple stickers? #sadface

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-...parison-video/
Old 04-25-15, 10:19 AM

I have the 38mm, seems just perfect for me although I have dainty wrists.

As for the watch itself, I've had it less than 24 hours and already have buyer's remorse:

1. As previously mentioned, the watch only stays "awake" for a brief moment, not long enough for my tastes and there's (apparently) no way to adjust it.
2. My screen already looks like crap with all the fingerprint smudges from touches and swipes.
3. Apps take a long time to load. I feel like I spend more time looking at the spinner than using the watch.
4. "Hey Siri" does not work.
5. The strap is hard to put on (I have the Sport model)
6. Notifications are inconsistent. Some appear on the watch only, some appear on the phone only. I have all my apps set up for mirroring.
7. Here's my biggest problem, discovered while taking it on a run: when the watch goes dark while you're using an app (see #1), and you re-awaken the watch -- it does not take you back to the app! Instead, you are back to the watchface and the only way to resume what you are doing is to scroll back to the app from the app picker. This is a HUGE problem when doing a workout and you just want to quickly check your stats.
Old 04-25-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

7. Here's my biggest problem, discovered while taking it on a run: when the watch goes dark while you're using an app (see #1), and you re-awaken the watch -- it does not take you back to the app! Instead, you are back to the watchface and the only way to resume what you are doing is to scroll back to the app from the app picker. This is a HUGE problem when doing a workout and you just want to quickly check your stats.
Settings-General-On Wrist Raise-Resume Previous Activity. Now your biggest problem should no longer be a problem at all.
Old 04-25-15, 11:05 AM

Thanks, Obey the D. I missed that setting because it's "below the fold". Big life-saver! Additionally, you can double tap the crown to return to the last app.
Old 04-25-15, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What size did you guys get, and what do you think of the size?

A quick 2 min try on had me thinking the 42mm was a bit big even though it is roughly the same size as my everyday wear watch.

Here is an u boxing and size comparison. No Apple stickers? #sadface

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/24/apple-...parison-video/
Here's a tip for sizing:

Take a credit card, hold it lengthwise down your arm starting at your wrist (so if you're arm is parallel to your chest, put the credit card on your arm so you can read the name and numbers). If the credit card eclipses the width of your wrist, you need a 38mm. If the credit card is about equal to the width of your wrist, you can get either, but the 42mm might look just a little big. If your wrist exceeds the width of the credit card, the 38mm will look hilariously small on you.
Old 04-25-15, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Also Groucho, if your phone is unlocked, notifications and calls and such will go to your phone, not your watch. Not sure if that had any bearing on you not getting notifications.
Old 04-25-15, 12:51 PM

Hmm...Makes sense...I'll pay attention to that next time...
Old 04-25-15, 12:52 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been following along with a post on macrumors where people are posting up their watches (wristies are the new selfies). They do look nice and the posters are practically swooning over themselves.

But how long before people forget they're wearing sport watches and start bitching about how easily those bands get dirty from the sweat, dirt, and grime? I bet it's gonna be a thing.
Old 04-25-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the 38mm, seems just perfect for me although I have dainty wrists.

As for the watch itself, I've had it less than 24 hours and already have buyer's remorse:

Wait, what? So your saying, if you are going on a run and you want to do a glance to check your pace, when you lift up your arm it shows you the home screen? NOT the running app?

That can't possibly be right. I'm not saying your wrong, but there has to be a setting or something to use it exactly like a running watch.
Old 04-25-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Settings-General-On Wrist Raise-Resume Previous Activity. Now your biggest problem should no longer be a problem at all.
Oops...should have read thru all before posting...thanks for posting
Old 04-25-15, 02:22 PM

The hardest thing right now is that even common problems are hard to Google, because there's not a lot of meaningful results out there yet.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.