Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 04-13-15, 10:59 PM

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
OH CRAP! I totally missed it!! This is US sales ONLY....oh my....Apple must of sold a crap load!! Wow....16-20 million TOTAL sales, looks very doable.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Right now Apple's main problem is making them fast enough.
Old 04-14-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone buying a case for their watch? I know there was discussion a few pages back, but now that pre-orders are up and people have had a chance for a hands on look, I'm wondering what everyone is thinking. I'm back and forth so far. They're not so expensive but I just don't know I feel about the idea. I like adding some "heft" to the watch (much how the case on my 6+ does) but I think it takes away from the look a little bit.
Old 04-14-15, 05:33 PM
Banned by request

The only way I could imagine a reasonable use for a case would be to waterproof the watch.
Old 04-14-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the Sapphire face I don't think I'll need any kind of case. I don't have a case for my Pebble and its been just fine.
Old 04-14-15, 09:49 PM
Banned by request

Speaking of accessories I see no use for, why is everyone going nuts for stands for their watch? What the fuck is the watch going to do on the stand that it can't do just sitting on the regular charger? If you want to use it as an always on clock (does it even support that while charging?), just prop it up on something.
Old 04-15-15, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Anyone buying a case for their watch? I know there was discussion a few pages back, but now that pre-orders are up and people have had a chance for a hands on look, I'm wondering what everyone is thinking. I'm back and forth so far. They're not so expensive but I just don't know I feel about the idea. I like adding some "heft" to the watch (much how the case on my 6+ does) but I think it takes away from the look a little bit.
I'm getting Apple Care+. It works just like on iPhone with 2 accident claims allowed. It's only like $50 for the sport model for 2 years. Which should be just long enough till Apple Watch 2 comes out
Old 04-15-15, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I find this to be a very odd article.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...fossil-movado/

Just a lot of odd, random, almost "made up" stuff.

What especially caught my eye, was the note that one guys thinks Apple Watch 2.0 will not need to be tethered. WTF? I think he is nuts. I can tell you, I'm not sure I'd have an interest in a 2nd data plan. It would have to be, what a minimum of $40 per month? $500 per year? Maybe he thinks it will be like iPad w/a cell option?

Perhaps he means it will have GPS? If so, I really don't know that, that is such a big game changer. But perhaps. I wish this version had GPS, but obviously not a deal breaker for me. And I run.

"Timothy Arcuri of Cowen & Co. reiterates an Outperform rating, writing that “Our field work in the San Francisco Bay Area over the past weekend suggests a ~1MM weekend pre-order number or even better is plausible as appointments are resulting in ~85-90% pre-order conversion – a good result.”

Arcuri triangulates the numbers, though he’s more focused on version 2.0, which he thinks will not need to tether to the iPhone:"
Old 04-15-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I got Apple Care+ for my watch... I don't really see the need for a case either, just wanted to get some opinions if people found any that changed their mind.
Old 04-15-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Speaking of accessories I see no use for, why is everyone going nuts for stands for their watch? What the fuck is the watch going to do on the stand that it can't do just sitting on the regular charger? If you want to use it as an always on clock (does it even support that while charging?), just prop it up on something.
I don't get that either. Seems to be begging to be knocked over.
Old 04-15-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I don't get that either. Seems to be begging to be knocked over.
Why does it bother you so much? If you don't get it, then, well, don't get it. No need to question the intelligence or sanity of other people who do see a use for it, though.

It would make sense for me, since it places the MagSafe charger in a fixed position that is more convenient. You could just "drop" the watch onto it for charging. And, if the watch does allow an "always on" mode while charging, then it would be useful for that as well, and would look a lot better and be visible from more angles than "propping it up on something".
Old 04-15-15, 12:29 PM
Banned by request

I didn't say no one should get them, just that I don't see the point. It's not like we really have a lot to talk about while we sit here twiddling our thumbs waiting for watches to arrive.
Old 04-15-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed several of my apps have updated to take advantage of notifications. Some are kind of cool in that you can access parts of the app from the notification center. So like I swipe from the top on my phone and I have for example a couple weather apps that tell me what it is like now, and a hour from now. But can also click on it to view a video or get other information. Even tho the weather apps themselves have a lot more information, the notification center pops up 1 or 2 things important things.

Same w/MyNetDiary (I use to track food, calories, exercise). On the notification center is puts some basic, most used information. Like total calories consumed to that point. And then I can click on to take me to the app to enter say what I had for breakfast.

I think this will be, in some cases, how Apple Watch will do it.
Old 04-16-15, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Guided Tours" of some features with more tours being added.

http://www.apple.com/watch/guided-tours/
Old 04-16-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not entirely sure what he big deal is. I mean, I know you could buy iPhone in store on "launch day" but often they did run out or have long lines. Or at the very least run out of the lowest cost model quickly.

I mentioned after ordering mine how surprised I was that they quickly sold out (I was done ordering within 3-4 minutes of the start and still won't get on the 24th). But I wouldn't call it "launch fail".

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-just-pub...i9VG54AsvAPxQt.

And rumors you won't be able to buy one, in-store, till June.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29110...ntil-june.html
Old 04-16-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok Yahoo, selling hundreds of thousands of watches in minutes is a "mess"? I'm sure Apple is real broken up about it.
Old 04-16-15, 04:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Ok Yahoo, selling hundreds of thousands of watches in minutes is a "mess"? I'm sure Apple is real broken up about it.
it's not yahoo really; just republished from BGR
https://bgr.com/2015/04/16/apple-wat...-availability/
Old 04-17-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks confirmed....you can attach a chest strap heart rate monitor directly to Apple Watch,

Did you use a Polar heart-rate strap with the Apple Watch, and did the watch read your heart rate from the strap? — @CharlesRAII, via Twitter

I didn’t use a Polar heart rate strap; I used a Wahoo TickR, which sends data over Bluetooth and ANT+ wireless protocols. If you’re wondering whether your Polar heart-rate strap will work with Apple Watch, you should check the details on which strap you have and whether it’s compatible with Bluetooth 4.0.

One small but noteworthy observation, which I’ll get into more in an upcoming health-and-fitness review of Apple Watch: When you do pair a Bluetooth heart-rate strap with Apple Watch, the watch defaults to that to measure your heart rate. This not only gives you a much faster heart rate reading when you raise your wrist to look at it, but also helps conserve battery life on the watch.

http://recode.net/2015/04/17/too-emb...tch-questions/

I know a pretty niche feature, but a bit surprised that Apple isn't pushing more. They have focused more on running which leads to them getting beat up for not have GPS in the watch.

But a truly fast and accurate chest strap would not only improve accuracy of calories burned while running (with or without iPhone), it would be useful to P90x users, crossfit classes, weight lifting, etc, etc, and at least it appears, all without the need of the iPhone.
Old 04-17-15, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

So now the question is, what's the best bluetooth heart rate strap?
Old 04-17-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yea...I have no idea. It looks like any BT 4.0 compliant will work. The dude in the article is using a Wahoo. He mentioned doing a review specifically regarding the health/fitness aspects of Apple Watch. At this rate, I'm sure it will be out before the watch

I'm sure many will use the Polar that came with or they bought for their running watches.
Old 04-17-15, 07:16 PM
Banned by request

I ended up canceling my pledge for Click. They had three $10,000 backers drop out, the last one dropping out minutes before the campaign ended, and it bumped them down from the final stretch goal.

It's entirely possible that all three $10k pledge drops were above board and for legitimate reasons, but I've been burned on Kickstarter before, and will go back to waiting for reviews on these adapters before buying one.
Old 04-18-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw that...And I've been "burned" as well. But I've never done anything more that like $75.

I see they just charged my CC. So guess will ride it out. There were like 6 or 7 update emails real quick.

I'm in for $45 (2 sets + 2 bands).

One items I recently got was that worlds smallest iPhone charging cable. I like the small size but the magnet that keeps it attached to say a key chain already failed. I can fix....it was like less than $10.

I'm still waiting on some odd thing I must have been drunk when I ordered...lol....it is a "thing" that attaches to your keychain and can charge your phone on its own once or twice, has can be used as a USB memory thing, has a iPhone charging cable built in and a location thing....it like 6-8 months behind, so I might not get that one.

I never spend a lot on these. I don't look at it like I'm buying the item, but more like buying stock and if successful then I get the product (like dividend). But I'd be hard pressed to spend any more than a lunch money (maybe nice diner...lol) on something.

I'm a bit fascinated by the whole crowd funding thing.

I don't think you are unwise, dropping. I'm sort of kicking myself for doing the 2x thing. At that price the bands have to be pretty crappy and the one thing that will be plentiful is Apple Watch bands.
Old 04-18-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/17/milan-event-new-bands/

Speaking of bands, looks like Apple themselves have been holding out. Have to say, if the red sport band was available, I would have given thought to it over the black with the space grey watch. Only because I know at some point I'll have a black metal band so would rather have the plastic band a different color.

But then I found it odd the SG only came with black, tho I really wasn't excited about any of the other color of plastic bands shown at order anyway.
Old 04-20-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apple just charged my card so it looks like I'll have mine Friday.
Old 04-20-15, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Good luck!
Old 04-20-15, 06:30 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Apple just charged my card so it looks like I'll have mine Friday.
Oh don't get too excited. They charged you early because they are having some cash flow problem.

Congratulations

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.