Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 04-10-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
That's good, in pics the thing looks kinda silly, but I imagine it'll look a bit better in person. How was the strap?
Well I did really like the leather strap look and its a bigger fit for my huge ass wrists when I tried it on. I didnt really want to spend extra for it and the sport strap feels nice too and its a little more substantial feeling for me, just wish it was a touch bigger. Its definitely a snug fit. I went with black and space grey 42mm although I do like the space grey w/ the white band as well.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
No pics? I'm so disappointed in you
I honestly wasnt expecting to get it and just happened to be in Florida this weekend. I stopped by the Apple Store on my way to lunch and tried it on. Thought, wow much better than it appeared in pictures. Walked out and said fuck it, and ordered one on my phone. Didnt even think to take pics
Old 04-10-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Well I did really like the leather strap look and its a bigger fit for my huge ass wrists when I tried it on. I didnt really want to spend extra for it and the sport strap feels nice too and its a little more substantial feeling for me, just wish it was a touch bigger. Its definitely a snug fit. I went with black and space grey 42mm although I do like the space grey w/ the white band as well.

I honestly wasnt expecting to get it and just happened to be in Florida this weekend. I stopped by the Apple Store on my way to lunch and tried it on. Thought, wow much better than it appeared in pictures. Walked out and said fuck it, and ordered one on my phone. Didnt even think to take pics
I don't know how far back you looked in the thread, but there is one review noting that you can "sync" a heart rate strap with Apple Watch. Now I'm not entirely sure if that is stand alone or through the iPhone. But if stand alone, that is a pretty cool feature if you wanted something more accurate than its wrist based readings.
Old 04-10-15, 05:44 PM
Banned by request

I had some time to kill before an appointment today, and happened to be near an Apple Store...

Spoiler:

That's the SS, and I found it to be very light, but then I wear quite a heavy watch day to day. I also wear a larger watch, so that felt small on my wrist. That's a 42mm.

The Taptic Engine is awesome, and the screen looks fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on the real thing.
Old 04-10-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I had some time to kill before an appointment today, and happened to be near an Apple Store...

Spoiler:

That's the SS, and I found it to be very light, but then I wear quite a heavy watch day to day. I also wear a larger watch, so that felt small on my wrist. That's a 42mm.

The Taptic Engine is awesome, and the screen looks fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on the real thing.
You found the SS to be light? Wow, the aluminum is supposed to be lighter. And your right, that doesn't look overly big.
Old 04-10-15, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

My current watch is huge though, so I found the SS light by comparison.
Old 04-10-15, 05:58 PM
Banned by request

I was able to walk into a store and get an appointment on the spot. The clerk had no fucking clue what he was doing, he even put the watch on me upside down. I knew way more about the watch than he did, and although he was apologetic and tried to make light of it, I really couldn't believe how inept he was. Also for some reason the drawer we were using only had one sport, silver, and it was 38mm. Very strange. I wasn't sure if I liked the leather loop enough to purchase one. I'll likely wait for third party straps before buying any.
Old 04-11-15, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow...appears totally sold out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...o-be-sold-out/

Again, I'm pretty surprised. Of course we don't know how many that is, but it had to be 3-5 million as a minimum, wouldn't it? I mean would Apple make anything available w/less units than a few million?
Old 04-11-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...appears totally sold out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...o-be-sold-out/

Again, I'm pretty surprised. Of course we don't know how many that is, but it had to be 3-5 million as a minimum, wouldn't it? I mean would Apple make anything available w/less units than a few million?
No, it didn't HAVE to be. It COULD be. It COULD'VE been 12 million. Has there been an Apple product launch (since the iPod days) that HASN'T sold out on launch day?
Old 04-11-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
No, it didn't HAVE to be. It COULD be. It COULD'VE been 12 million. Has there been an Apple product launch (since the iPod days) that HASN'T sold out on launch day?
Yes, you are correct, it could be. I meant it had to be, don't you think? That, that was a mininimum.

I've been buying the newest iphone model (whole numbers, not the s versions) as soon as available since the 4. I've always pre-ordered and always got first day available.

I picked up my 6 that way and people were waiting in line to get one as pre-orders did not sell out. Remember, we are not at launch day, this just started pre-orders.

I am amazed that the wait is now June. For all models. I don't remember the 6 having that issue. I know the Plus had a bit of a wait.

I really hope they do announce numbers. I Am curious.
Old 04-11-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, I did my long run this morning at the lake. I've run this many times and the route is a popular running/biking/walking path. It is documented that the most direct path (staying on paths closest to the lake is a 9.33 mile loop). You can venture off to some wider paths and get between 9.5 to 9.75. Or venture on paths leading away from the lake for even more.

Anyway, I always run with my iPhone and Nike+ app turning on the GPS. Well today, I set the playlist, but forgot to turn on GPS so it automatically assumed I was on a treadmill and tracked by movement. I didn't know this till I finished when the map didn't pop up. I ventured on one short new trail that pulls a little wide of the lake for a bit.

Well at the end, it said my distance was 9.53 miles. I bet this is pretty accurate. My point is, I wonder if Apple Watch will be as accurate on its own (without iPhone). The one thing I alway do is make the last 2 miles my fastes. Well, I sped up at 7, but I don't think it read that. It had me at a consistent pace the entire time. But distance wise, seemed accurate.
Old 04-11-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This also says you can pair a HR monitor to Apple Watch.

You can pair an external Bluetooth health device to the Apple Watch

This has all sorts of potential. Apple told me you can pair an external Bluetooth heart rate monitor for an alternative to the onboard heart rate measurement in the watch itself, but could you also pair other types of devices in the future? That could make the watch a killer health and medical gadget.

http://www.cnet.com/news/11-surprises-i-learned-about-the-apple-watch/
Old 04-11-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tried on...no, pics ;( they were busy and I was meeting someone for a beer so it was quick, 5 min.

-the 38mm wasn't as small as I thought it would be. But sticking to 42mm
-the small band just barely fit, but the large was really big w/a lot of left over material.
-it felt VERY light to hold or on my wrist. It did try the Sport in both sizes.
-I asked about other straps and she said while they all fit, she warned that only the black plastic band had the dark clasp. The other splastic bands had a silver clasp that may or may not be an issue to me.
-I played a bit with one of the watches on display. It didn't seem slow at all. I know it had a limited load, but it moved around quickly.
-some things seemed intuitive while others did not. I had a hard time getting back to the beginning of some apps.

Since I got 4 weeks, I'll do the try on process again when I have more time. Nothing I saw or tried made me feel I shouldn't get.
Old 04-11-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone ordered any accessories yet? Since I ordered the Sport I went ahead and backed the Click band adapter on Kickstarter. That way I can switch to any 22mm metal or leather band if I want to. I also backed a no frills steel charging stand for $23.
Old 04-12-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Has anyone ordered any accessories yet? Since I ordered the Sport I went ahead and backed the Click band adapter on Kickstarter. That way I can switch to any 22mm metal or leather band if I want to. I also backed a no frills steel charging stand for $23.
No, but I'm looking for a travel charger and metal link band (still can't get over the Apple link is like $449 for the band alone).

Edit: ok I backed that kickstarted as well. Aggh...I saw they offered a link band, so went for it....

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-12-15 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Which ones did you get? Looking at these and they seem like a good deal.
Old 04-12-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I jumped in for the Click as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...or-apple-watch
Old 04-12-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Which ones did you get? Looking at these and they seem like a good deal.
edstein linked the band adapter. The dock is called Watchdock Steel.
Old 04-12-15, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

I also backed Click. Got the aluminum adapter with band, $35.
Old 04-13-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also went in on Click... June is so close yet so far away!
Old 04-13-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the opening day pre-order over/under was 1 million, I would have taken the over. But looks like it didn't reach that. So if opening day was a million, maybe another million the next two? Maybe. Seems low.

If opening weekend was "only" a couple million, wonder what year end sales will be? Especially since it doesn't look like you will be able to walk in a store and buy one any time soon.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13109...cm_ven=RSSFeed
Old 04-13-15, 12:48 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the opening day pre-order over/under was 1 million, I would have taken the over. But looks like it didn't reach that. So if opening day was a million, maybe another million the next two? Maybe. Seems low.

If opening weekend was "only" a couple million, wonder what year end sales will be? Especially since it doesn't look like you will be able to walk in a store and buy one any time soon.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13109...cm_ven=RSSFeed
well -- 957,000 orders, but 1.24 millions units (1.3 units per order). And that's just U.S. orders. So you might have won the bet
Old 04-13-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
well -- 957,000 orders, but 1.24 millions units (1.3 units per order). And that's just U.S. orders. So you might have won the bet
Ha! Good point....I didn't catch that....

Still a bit less than I would have thought. Ran through some other articles and many still think 16-20 MILLION will be sold by end of year. Which would be remarkable.

This article give the breakdown by model. Looks like 42mm w/black band was the most popular (both in Sport and Apple Watch).

http://qz.com/381791/apple-watch-pre...irm-estimates/

OH CRAP! I totally missed it!! This is US sales ONLY....oh my....Apple must of sold a crap load!! Wow....16-20 million TOTAL sales, looks very doable.
Old 04-13-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My guess would be around 2.5 - 3 million units world wide, based on the US number.

That means they have very likely already outsold all Pebble and Android Wear models combined. Of course, that will level off somewhat over the coming year, especially if Google is able to successfully integrate Wear with iOS.
Old 04-13-15, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Even if Wear is made compatible with iOS, I can almost guarantee it won't have the full functionality it has with Android phones, nor will it have the range of functionality on iOS that the Apple Watch enjoys, so I imagine the percentage of people with an iPhone but using Android Wear will be small.
Old 04-13-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Even if Wear is made compatible with iOS, I can almost guarantee it won't have the full functionality it has with Android phones, nor will it have the range of functionality on iOS that the Apple Watch enjoys, so I imagine the percentage of people with an iPhone but using Android Wear will be small.
Other than GPS on the Sony, is there another model that would really compete?

I like the look of the one with the curved screen, but I'm not sure I'd prefer wearing all the time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.