Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 04-06-15, 06:35 PM
Banned by request

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

This article, while obviously fictional, gives a good idea of what it might be like to use the Apple Watch throughout a day: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/03...le-watch-user/

Smartwatches aren't going to be for everybody, but I think the people who embrace them will really love them, and that goes for Android Wear or Apple Watch (and for some people, Pebble).
Old 04-06-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
This article, while obviously fictional, gives a good idea of what it might be like to use the Apple Watch throughout a day: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/03...le-watch-user/

Smartwatches aren't going to be for everybody, but I think the people who embrace them will really love them, and that goes for Android Wear or Apple Watch (and for some people, Pebble).
I agree with this. Initially. But Apple being Apple, they have the power to potentially bring those who didn't think they wanted a smartwatch to consider it.

How many people thought they needed a smartphone before iPhone? Heck even my parents are sporting top of the line smartphones (one an iPhone, one a droid). But initially they both saw no need.

This is not a Apple love feast. Think other Smartwatches will benefit as well.

Will they do as well as smartphones? Of course not. iPod wasn't an instant hit. It evolved. Who thought the most popular camera in the world would be your phone when they included it "as an after thought" on smartphones.

Speaking of iPod, any thoughts on Apple Watch working with Droid in the future? iPod initially only worked with Apple if I recall...
Old 04-06-15, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

I can't see it. The iPod worked on Windows because iTunes is also available on Windows, and Apple sold more songs by having iTunes be multiplatform. However, the Apple Watch is tied explicitly to Apple's ecosystem. I doubt they will ever decouple it from the app store by making it compatible with Android, and if they did, I imagine the functionality would be greatly reduced.
Old 04-07-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
With the trend of smartphones going to larger screens, I just don't see the smaller screen of a watch being much of a benefit. But hey, I'm sure Apple will sell a shitload of these things.
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I am making that assumption... Based off the Apple commercials I'm seeing showing all the smartphone stuff the watch can do.

Completely agree. Been saying this for a while now.
Old 04-07-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't see it. The iPod worked on Windows because iTunes is also available on Windows, and Apple sold more songs by having iTunes be multiplatform. However, the Apple Watch is tied explicitly to Apple's ecosystem. I doubt they will ever decouple it from the app store by making it compatible with Android, and if they did, I imagine the functionality would be greatly reduced.
Your probably right. I hadn't thought about the added music sales when they made iTunes available for Windows.

But I see some similarities between iPod and Apple Watch. It will be interesting in how it evolves.

It is easy to dismiss it. It appears to be a long term, evolving plan for Apple Watch. Will it be successful, I think yes. Would I bet my house on it? No. But I'd lay good money.

I know everyone is anxiously awaiting how many pre-orders and first week sales. And there is little doubt those will be big numbers. Likely be higher than all other smart watches combined. But the real test, IMO will be how it sells 3 months, 6 months a year down the road. And how Apple Watch 2 does.
Old 04-07-15, 01:21 PM
Banned by request

I just don't see why an Android user would want to get an Apple Watch, which will inevitably be limited, when fully featured Android Wear watches are already available and will continue to be produced and iterated on.
Old 04-08-15, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just don't see why an Android user would want to get an Apple Watch, which will inevitably be limited, when fully featured Android Wear watches are already available and will continue to be produced and iterated on.
Yea, again, in that respect (compared to iPod) your likely right. I've read a couple things suggesting the real "war" is not Apple Watch v. Other Smartwatches but getting more people committed to one echo system. In this case Apple's.

This is an interesting read on the level of detail that went into Apple Watch. I just assumed all those watch faces were animated.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/apple-watch-design/
Old 04-08-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

First "real" hands on review I've seen. Pretty basic, tho if correct it has more internal memory than I had previously heard (at least memory that is "accessible").

http://www.cnet.com/uk/videos/hands-...ne-smartwatch/

Still surprised at the "who would get/why do you want" questions. I wish he would have said what size he was using. I'm assuming it is the 42mm (bigger one).

Edit...and more coming in: http://gizmodo.com/apple-watch-meta-...ium=socialflow

Looks like the consensus is: best smartwatch available, really good (but not perfect) and lots of potential.

The New Times review is especially good. Reminded him of using the first iPhone. Talking about learning curve, potential, getting you less lost in your phone and believing while this particular version you might not want, you will want one in future (paraphrasing). And actually he was a bit stronger than that. Also makes it clear it is not an iPhone on your wrist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/te...ing-curve.html

Also noted at one of the deal sites that the Sony Smartwatch is now available for under $200. That is a good deal. Especially as it is one of the few with built in GPS. Guessing there will be a lot of smartwatch deals this month.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-08-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-08-15, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am very interested, but will wait for v2. Hopefully thinner and longer battery. My two issue with it as it is today.
Old 04-08-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a longer, about 10min review. Think he does a good job even doing some "real life" stuff with it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/8/836...-apple-android

And yet again, noting this is a new, revolutionary, the best currently available, but will be even better "down the road".

Tho, very interesting he notes that the watch seems under-powered. And that apps loading from your phone take a long time. I'm surprised by this and disappointed. Apple Pay being his favorite feature....

...which is timely....FedEx just came by with my new debit card. Having to switch checking accounts so can use Apple Pay. Been wanting to switch since Apple Pay came out, but just got around to it earlier this week.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-08-15 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 01:39 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I am very interested, but will wait for v2. Hopefully thinner and longer battery. My two issue with it as it is today.
Unless there's a mass market breakthrough in battery tech, I highly doubt the v2 will be thinner and have BETTER battery life. My guess is it will be either the same size with better battery, or thinner with the same battery life. But it can't be too much thinner because Apple will want to maintain its strap lock system.

As for the watch itself, the first reviews do seem divided, but I think a lot of the negatives can and will be addressed with software updates as people use the watches and Apple gets real world feedback. I'm still interested in one, although I always wanted the sport model so I'm not suddenly looking at a dubious $1,000+ purchase.
Old 04-08-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ agree, and I would take the longer battery over getting it thinner.
Old 04-08-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless there's a mass market breakthrough in battery tech, I highly doubt the v2 will be thinner and have BETTER battery life. My guess is it will be either the same size with better battery, or thinner with the same battery life. But it can't be too much thinner because Apple will want to maintain its strap lock system.

As for the watch itself, the first reviews do seem divided, but I think a lot of the negatives can and will be addressed with software updates as people use the watches and Apple gets real world feedback. I'm still interested in one, although I always wanted the sport model so I'm not suddenly looking at a dubious $1,000+ purchase.
Agree...I'm also getting the sport which is a really good value compared to what I was looking at (GPS running watch). I do like the look of the SS, but the Sport will be lighter and I guess the face is stronger.

I'm mainly getting this over getting a GPS sport watch and activity tracker. None of the negativity I've seen/read is about that portion. I know the one guy said it didn't accurately read non-cardio activity that "doesn't raise your heart rate" and gave examples of weight lifting and yoga. Well I don't know what kind of weight lifting he does, but my heart rate goes up considerably when I lift. And I purposely only go 30 seconds between sets to keep it up. And I know all this as I've worn a heart rate monitor while lifting before. Plus you know there will be apps for specific exercises coming...

I've read and watched all I can find and still excited and plan on ordering Friday. I knew going in that v2.0 will be even better. And I'm fine with that. I'll learn how to use use it and get the most out of it in the mean time.
Old 04-08-15, 02:31 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, Nilay on the Verge listed weight lifting and rowing as things that don't get his heart rate up, so I can only assume he doesn't do much of those, because I have a rowing machine at home and my heart rate definitely rises. Yoga doesn't but I don't feel the need to track my yoga stats anyway.
Old 04-08-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Almost every review is saying how surprised they were by the battery life. This one says he was getting 18 hours+ on all but one days.

http://mashable.com/2015/04/08/apple-watch-review/

And damn...I love that link band. Hopefully a 3rd party company will have one soon. Not paying more for the band than the watch.
Old 04-08-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Tho, very interesting he notes that the watch seems under-powered. And that apps loading from your phone take a long time. I'm surprised by this and disappointed.
If I recall correctly, the next major release of the Watch OS is expected to allow more functionality directly on the watch itself, rather than being tied so much to the iPhone. Now the Watch doesn't have a cellular radio on it, so it still won't be able to do much away from either an iPhone or WiFi, but I'm curious if being able to run more functionality directly would (a) improve this performance issue without (b) draining the battery life.

Or is this something that would have to be addressed by future iterations having a more powerful processor on board.
Old 04-08-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be honest, the Verge review kind of turned me off of getting one on Day 1. I'm thinking I might also wait for version 2. The "it's kind of slow" thing is a real turn-off, especially since my iPhone is fairly snappy. And if the apps are clunky too, that takes away a lot of my enthusiasm.
Old 04-08-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm shocked the the Verge only gave it a 7. They really favor Apple products. So that says a lot about this device.

I'm still interested. I think it will get better with a few updates and native apps.
Old 04-08-15, 07:42 PM
Banned by request

Note that The Verge review is arguing that no one needs any smartwatch by any company, so keep that in mind. The Mashable review is a nice counterpoint to it, IMO.
Old 04-08-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
If I recall correctly, the next major release of the Watch OS is expected to allow more functionality directly on the watch itself, rather than being tied so much to the iPhone. Now the Watch doesn't have a cellular radio on it, so it still won't be able to do much away from either an iPhone or WiFi, but I'm curious if being able to run more functionality directly would (a) improve this performance issue without (b) draining the battery life.

Or is this something that would have to be addressed by future iterations having a more powerful processor on board.
Likely both. And while I'm surprised it us underpowered, I think in some respects that is looking at the Watch incorrectly. The whole point of needing the iPhone is that the phone does all the heavy lifting. Now, if it is annoyingly slow....will have to see.

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'll be honest, the Verge review kind of turned me off of getting one on Day 1. I'm thinking I might also wait for version 2. The "it's kind of slow" thing is a real turn-off, especially since my iPhone is fairly snappy. And if the apps are clunky too, that takes away a lot of my enthusiasm.
I don't know....there aren't really any apps. Yet. Most of the apps for Apple Watch are basic extensions of existing apps. Except for the built in one's of course.

And I don't totally dismiss this being the first, there is a "beta" feel to some things. I didn't have an original iPhone, but had a 3G. I doubt many who did have the original regret it or wish they had waited.

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I'm shocked the the Verge only gave it a 7. They really favor Apple products. So that says a lot about this device.

I'm still interested. I think it will get better with a few updates and native apps.
I don't follow Verge a lot. And so far it is one the most detailed and well done reviews I've seen. However, there are a couple things that seemed to really bother him. And while I understand them, many of them will almost assuredly be improved quickly. Like more control over notifications. And health apps that will measure better non-cardio workouts (tho I've worn a heart monitor for weight lifting so I'm going to disagree with him that it doesn't raise your heart rate). In any case, this isn't an Apple issue, but a wrist based tracker issue. Which again, very likely addressed by 3rd party apps. I'm not sure if he is trying to be cute with the "nightmare" emoji thing, but that is just silly.

So he gives it a 7 even after saying it is easily the best smartwatch available. Wonder what he gives the next best? A 4 or 5?

Has anyone found a review specifically targeting running/health?

Interesting that this says apps won't be able to access the heart rate function. I'm sure that will come. But I wonder if that has something to do with privacy issues with regards to medical information.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/8/836...ch-apps-future

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-08-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/elec...watch-20150408

http://www.news.com.au/technology/ga...-1227296980004

This goes into a bit more detail about health/fitness.

Interesting that you can add and sync to a chest HR strap. Didn't know that. Good if you want to be more accurate.

And another one on the fitness front, mainly.

http://www.self.com/body/fitness/201...rable-workout/

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-08-15 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 10:42 PM
Banned by request

You can sync a chest HR monitor? I had no clue that was an option.
Old 04-08-15, 11:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about you guys, but after watching The Verge's 10-minute review video, I'm sold! Not on the aWatch, but, I mean, Eater and Racked sound awesome, right?

(but seriously, talk about shamelessly advertising your friends' businesses when doing a review on arguably one of the most interesting new consumer products of the last 5 years. All those guaranteed YouTube views... Eater and Racked are getting PAID, son! )

On an actual serious note, I'll be more interested in hands-on reviews from the folks here. I'm holding off on any sort of smart watch/band until the category matures a bit more with better hardware and smaller devices, but I look forward to first impressions and, more importantly, "six months later" sort of updates.
Old 04-09-15, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You can sync a chest HR monitor? I had no clue that was an option.
According to the Mems Journal review, yes.

Huffing through heavy squats, the Watch read my heart rate as fairly low. And more frenetic CrossFit workouts perplexed it; the Watch couldn't get a read on my second-by-second HR during box jumps, burpees, and pull-ups, and my overall calorie burn and HR seemed off for these "other"-type training sessions. That's a problem Apple says you can fix by using a heart rate monitor strap and synching it with your Watch. Or, maybe you don't care so much about hyper-accurate HR and calorie counts, and in that case, just go by the Watch's less-than-perfect estimate.

Read more: http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/elec...#ixzz3WndoMoWY
Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook

Now he says "sync w/watch". I don't know if I'm ready to accept that, or you sync it w/iphone and the watch just reads it. I know my Nike+ GPS added the ability to sync with a chest strap a while back. So it wouldn't be a surprise If the watch version read that reading off the phone.

But if true that the watch itself can sync, that is pretty cool. That means (should mean) very accurate heart rate monitoring w/out iPhone. Which should give a very accurate calorie burn of almost any exercise, including running.

Edit; you know, there are BT heart rate straps. And the watch itself does have BT. So I guess, depending on the app, it is reasonable to think you could sync w/the watch itself.

The Polar lists compatibility to the iPhone, but currently not showing Apple Watch. Tho they may not even know yet,

http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/...rt_rate_sensor

Wrist based HR monitoring hasn't proved super accurate. Depending on your goals may or may not be an issue. I'm sure it will continue to improve and Apple Watch my be better than most. But chest strap would certainly trump that.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-09-15 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/9/8375993/...review-summary

Pretty good summary of reviews. Very interesting about the learning curve.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.