Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 03-23-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Some of the initial accessories....the bike one is interesting. There are a lot of bike mounts for iPhone, so guess it just made sense there would be one for watch. But now your removing some of the features of the watch (heart rate, etc). But I suppose it depends on your goals and what your doing. Though if your mounting Apple Watch on the bike, where is the phone?

I like the customized strap. That could be fun. Depending on cost, I could see printing one up for specific events.

http://time.com/3751479/apple-watch-accessories/

But I think we are just at the beginning for accessories. They are just assuming on how people will use the watch.
Old 03-24-15, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

I didn't realize Time was into clickbait now. The title of that article is ridiculous.
Old 03-25-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Though if your mounting Apple Watch on the bike, where is the phone?
Simple - mount the watch on the bike, and use a armband on your wrist for the phone.
Old 03-25-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
Simple - mount the watch on the bike, and use a armband on your wrist for the phone.
Sounds about right.
Old 03-25-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a lot of bike mounts for iPhone, so guess it just made sense there would be one for watch. But now you're removing some of the features of the watch (heart rate, etc). But I suppose it depends on your goals and what you're doing. Though if you're mounting Apple Watch on the bike, where is the phone?
Doesn't make much sense to me to mount the watch to the bike in order to get data from your phone, which you must also carry with you. I would think it would make more sense to mount your phone to your bike and leave the watch at home.
Old 03-25-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, like I say, these early accessories are just guesing what people will want. It will take time to see how people actually use Apple Watch. But then I don't ride, so maybe there is a benefit I don't see.
Old 03-26-15, 01:44 AM
Banned

Demand has the market, and market has the sale. Although I don't need it. lol
Old 03-26-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This confirms what I mentioned before. You shouldn't technically need to have Apple Watch tethered to your iPhone for it to record runs and such.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/26/...nners-strides/

The interesting part to me, is "learning your strides". I wonder if she is saying this correctly or it is like the Nike+ App where you can run at a steady pace and calibrate the app/phone based on that run.

Of course no iPhone tether means no GPS. But it very well could still be accurate.
Old 03-31-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Things Apple Watch can do without iPhone,

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/03...hone-features/

I thought you could NOT use Apple Pay w/out iPhone? If this is true that you can, I think a great "little" feature. When I'm running around doing errands in such, I typically throw my phone on a vent bracket in my car and just leave it (I know, not entirely safe to have your phone visible in you car), but I do. So now can use Apple Pay w/just the watch...if true...cool.

And I'm looking at new banks for my checking account. Mine for the 2nd time has told me they are not considering teaming w/Apple Pay. I'll probably just go one of the big boys (Capital One or Bank One or something). They seem to have the best on-line experience.
Old 03-31-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. I've not worn a watch in over 30 years. Why would I want to start now?
Old 03-31-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Because it is the iWatch.
Old 03-31-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Probably not the target market...
Old 03-31-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll never understand the "I don't wear a watch" people. Digging out your phone to check the time versus casually turning your wrist over to get the same information. I've tried the "no watch" thing and it's the worst.

I actually forgot to put my watch on this morning and it's been bothering me all day.
Old 03-31-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'll never understand the "I don't wear a watch" people. Digging out your phone to check the time versus casually turning your wrist over to get the same information. I've tried the "no watch" thing and it's the worst.

I actually forgot to put my watch on this morning and it's been bothering me all day.
Some people don't like things on their wrist? Or dont need to check the time that often?
Old 04-01-15, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Probably not the target market...
Actually, I think that is an interesting statement. On the surface, clearly obvious. But is it?

Whould people who have never worn a watch, wear a smartwatch? This is not an Apple issue, except for one big factor; Apple is promoting their smart watch as a fashion item as well as smart watch. Apple is going after the non-tech people.

It will be interesting....obviously still a lot of educating to do if the answer to "will you get smart watch" is no, I haven't worn a wrist watch in years.
Old 04-02-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While I've been 99% sure I'd get the larger watch I did play around a bit. I did the full size cutouts and laid them over my "everyday wear" watch. This is the larger Apple Watch cut out, sitting on top of my "everyday wear" watch. So yes, I'll get the larger.

Here is some information on the sizes.

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/wh...d-out-0160762/
Old 04-02-15, 01:50 PM
Banned by request

A very cool article on the development of the Watch, with a lot of images that I haven't seen anywhere else of the software: http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/
Old 04-03-15, 07:38 PM
Banned by request

Pre-orders will start at 12:01 PST. Looks like Apple Care for the Sport will be $59.
Old 04-05-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Pre-orders will start at 12:01 PST. Looks like Apple Care for the Sport will be $59.
Do you have a link for the Apple Care? Is it Apple Care+? Meaning does it cover breakage? $59 seems like a good deal if it does.

edit: NM - found it, and does look like a good deal. Very similar to Apple Care+ on iPhone only cheaper,

"AppleCare+ for Apple Watch extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your Apple Watch and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee plus applicable tax," the company says on its website."

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-watch...new-applecare/
Old 04-06-15, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting...Garmin is a big player....they may have to lower prices on base unit (running only) and focus more on the tri community. They beat this first version of Apple Watch in several areas, but...of course the question is for how long.

http://www.businessinsider.com/garmi...at-citi-2015-4

Another article I read (and will try to find), argued that Apple Watch will be the most popular running watch available. Just not this version of it. Much the same way the iPod had a slow start or that few used the original iPhone as a camera (and yet today more take pic's with a iPhone than camera).

And like the article mentioned, the only reason I'm slightly hesitant to purchase Apple Watch is I'm sure future versions (at least the sport model) will almost surely have GPS. But just don't think a deal breaker for the initial version. For my use.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-06-15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 12:20 PM
Admin-Thanos

With the trend of smartphones going to larger screens, I just don't see the smaller screen of a watch being much of a benefit. But hey, I'm sure Apple will sell a shitload of these things.
Old 04-06-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
With the trend of smartphones going to larger screens, I just don't see the smaller screen of a watch being much of a benefit. But hey, I'm sure Apple will sell a shitload of these things.
Your making the assumption people will use the watch exactly like their phone.

I think it may start that way. Don't think it will stay that way. I don't use my iPad as a giant iPhone. By and large I use them for different purposes. Some overlap, but not near as much as I anticipated when I bought my iPad. I only have a few of the same apps on both my iPhone and iPad.

Now, Apple watch is in large part (but not exclusively) a supplement to iPhone. But that doesn't mean you will use them exactly the same.
Old 04-06-15, 04:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

Your making the assumption people will use the watch exactly like their phone.
I am making that assumption... Based off the Apple commercials I'm seeing showing all the smartphone stuff the watch can do.

Old 04-06-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it's like a smartphone with icons the size of a contact lens?
Old 04-06-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I am making that assumption... Based off the Apple commercials I'm seeing showing all the smartphone stuff the watch can do.

OK, well that is a different discussion. I was going by your statement that smartphone trends were a bigger screen so you "just don't see the smaller screen of a watch being much of a benefit".

Which is similar to not seeing the benefit of a smartphone without a hard keyboard. Or not seeing the benefit of a camera in a phone.

But, yes Apple commercials show a lot of things. It is by and large an extension of the phone. But it will be used differently. I don't surf the net on my iPhone because my iPad does it better. I don't take pic's with my iPad, because it is easier to do on my iPhone (yet easier to edit on my iPad).

Or it could fail. I don't see if failing. It is no longer JUST about the information itself. It is about how it is accessed. How it is used.

I do think, if Apple Watch fails, smartwatches in general will remain a niche market. But I don't think it will. It may take time (like iPod did). But I think it has strong potential to redefine the category. As my link about Garmin already reflects.

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
So it's like a smartphone with icons the size of a contact lens?
Humm...No.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.