Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 03-11-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Also, Nike+ just announced new partners.

"We've made the Nike+ Running
community even bigger by partnering with four
industry-leading companies Garmin, TomTom,
Wahoo Fitness and Netpulse."

I think they include now 99% of the market.

When I got my TomTom watch I really missed Nike+, and I'm sure that some people here want to get one of those shiny new Garmins but didn't want to leave Nike+, so this should help.

I already mentioned here, or in another thread, I love my TomTom cardio watch, because it has everything I need. Yes, it includes a heart rate monitor. No strap needed. When I run I want to carry the less things possible.

But yeah, I can see someone like Sdallnct, who travels a lot, and needs to carry his smartphone, the apple watch is the right match.
TomTom recently had a promotional night with our running club. I didn't run with one but those who did really liked them. But in the years I've been running, I've never used Nike+ at all. Is there anything about it that Garmin Connect, Map My Run, Daily Mile, etc. doesn't do, or does it do them significantly better?
Old 03-11-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
And with the built in memory, Bluetooth and accelerometer, you should be able to do and record runs without iPhone. I would think.
Yes, of course, having said all this, my answer to the original question is "no, not planning to get an Apple Watch", at least not 1st version. I'll keep jogging with my iPhone .
Old 03-11-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. If I had the money spare I would be getting an iPhone 6.
Old 03-11-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
TomTom recently had a promotional night with our running club. I didn't run with one but those who did really liked them. But in the years I've been running, I've never used Nike+ at all. Is there anything about it that Garmin Connect, Map My Run, Daily Mile, etc. doesn't do, or does it do them significantly better?
You know runners....they just stick to what they have been using and like. I don't think there are significant differences. I've looked at some of those you mention and Nike+ seems "in line" with them. Sure one might have one feature and another has a different feature.

I just think some like the way the information is displayed. Don't really believe better or worse than those mentioned. Just different.

In fact there have always been "hacks" to get your Garmin/Polar information over to Nike+ Now it is just supported seemlessly. Which is actually interesting. I kind of figured they would just do their own app Apple Watch.
Old 03-11-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I was actually responding to the person who said they were considering buy the watch but after seeing the prices of the bands was reconsidering. I hadn't even noticed the troll post.
Please don't respond to the troll. All it does is make him believe he is relevant, and then he just posts more white noise.
Old 03-11-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most are/look the same right now, but Nike+ had the advantage for a long time in two aspects: social and UI.

Garmin would throw at your screen a lot of data, that if were really into running could help you. But it wasn't really friendly for most people.

Nike+ with their watches and app basically took most of the "enthusiast" runners, "social", who just wanted to have fun and be healthy.

But again, nowadays most sites are almost the same.

Wait, also,for being a Nike+ user, I have received freebies from Nike. I received a long sleeve running shirt a couple of years ago.
Old 03-11-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like there will be full, protective and water proof cases for Apple Watch soon as well.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/put...t/#Nc7kSJ:CTV5
Old 03-11-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like there will be full, protective and water proof cases for Apple Watch soon as well.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/11/put...t/#Nc7kSJ:CTV5
As if the watch wasn't bulky enough already.
Old 03-11-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
As if the watch wasn't bulky enough already.
Well I posted as someone mentioned about doing a tri with it.

But also, just as an example of how quickly (possibly) accessories are coming.

Personally, I would absolutely would not get something like this. Ever.
Old 03-14-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Somewhat interesting. Appears to be controls for built in apps only.

http://www.businessinsider.com/leake...enshots-2015-3

But the video at the bottom is also interesting. Guess Apple has posted "actual size" pics of both watches so you can easily compare.

The 42mm is in line w/the watch I wear every day. Plus I plan on running with it, so bigger screen should be easier to see.
Old 03-17-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good for Microsoft. Though I didn't realize it could return text message. It does have GPS. If I don't like Apple Watch, this is on my short list.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/...-its-own-game/
Old 03-17-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And you knew this was coming,

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/nom...r-apple-watch/

Tho I'm not sure the advantage over any other portable charging device. Except that the cord is "built in". But if small enough for a pocket...might work well.
Old 03-17-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought of another reason I probably wouldn't get this (or any more expensive watch for everyday wear). I'm just kind of a klutz, and sooner or later every watch I have gets a scratched face. For a while, I had a Garmin 210 (which at least was free) and I was using as an everyday watch in addition to running, and somehow the glass got a crack in it--I know when it happened within about 10 minutes, but no idea how. To fix, I would've had to send to Garmin (there is a person who fixes that stuff but he wouldn't touch Garmin's).

So on my new one, I really just use for running. If I had an Apple watch I'd want to wear it as my normal watch, and I'd end up with a big old crack in the screen and I'm sure I'd have to pay Apple some stupid amount to fix it. I don't have this problem with any of my other technology, but watches for some reason I do.

All that being said, though, for all I know I'll start seeing them and think they're cool and end up buying one.
Old 03-17-15, 05:00 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And you knew this was coming,

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/17/nom...r-apple-watch/

Tho I'm not sure the advantage over any other portable charging device. Except that the cord is "built in". But if small enough for a pocket...might work well.
I don't think a lot of bands (at least the sport ones) will curve around neatly and allow the watch to lay flat on the puck like that:

Old 03-17-15, 06:07 PM
Banned by request

Good for Microsoft. Though I didn't realize it could return text message. It does have GPS. If I don't like Apple Watch, this is on my short list.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/...-its-own-game/
I don't think it can reply to texts unless you're using a Windows 8.x phone, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-17-15, 11:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

If I don't like Apple Watch,
Is that even possible at this point?

Anyway, here's a solid review of the Band, which includes some well-meaning criticism:
https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/14...ft-band-review

I specifically like this comment:
Microsoft Band appears to be a product that was designed by really smart engineers with little regard to how or whether normal people could ever use it. Its the type of thing Apple would never ship, and I mean that in ways both complimentary and critical. Microsoft Band does too much in ways that are too complex, and yet also misses some fairly obvious features and niceties that are almost embarrassing in their absence.
Personally, I would't buy either the Apple Watch OR the Microsoft Band. Both appear to be very much "1st gen" products. The Band suffers from over-bulkiness and lack of customizable straps (there's two sizes, that's it), and I think the Apple Watch 2 will drop the awkward-looking crown toggle and (somehow) replace it with something non-mechanical. A touch-sensitive side that acts as a slider/clicker would be pretty badass.
Old 03-18-15, 12:39 AM
Banned by request

There's three sizes of the band, at least according to Amazon, but the middle one is not being sold directly through them and is commanding a high premium.

I talked to several people who owned a Band, and a lot of them loved it but agreed there's room for improvement.

As for the Apple Watch, I can almost guarantee that they won't remove the crown anytime soon. It's a defining feature of the watch and a huge differentiator from other smartwatches. It's also integral to how you interact with the watch. I don't think it's foolish to wait for the next version, as there will certainly be improvements, but if you're waiting for them to remove the crown, then you'll be waiting a long time.

Look at it this way, they still haven't removed the home button from the iPhone and iPad, even though its presence creates the largest bezels of any major smartphone currently in production and has made the phone larger than it needs to be. And they've kept the home button despite it getting a lot of flak from consumers. The crown is the home button of the Apple Watch, both literally and figuratively.
Old 03-18-15, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Is that even possible at this point?

Anyway, here's a solid review of the Band, which includes some well-meaning criticism:
https://www.thurrott.com/hardware/14...ft-band-review

I specifically like this comment:

Personally, I would't buy either the Apple Watch OR the Microsoft Band. Both appear to be very much "1st gen" products. The Band suffers from over-bulkiness and lack of customizable straps (there's two sizes, that's it), and I think the Apple Watch 2 will drop the awkward-looking crown toggle and (somehow) replace it with something non-mechanical. A touch-sensitive side that acts as a slider/clicker would be pretty badass.
Of course it's possible I won't like Apple Watch. I want to like it. I'm excited about. I want it today!

But I'm not going to ignore things that aren't working for my purpose. I'm buying first and foremost as a running watch/tracker. Then as a fitness tracker/motivator. And find the "smart watch functions" like text, updates, apps, really interesting.

I imagine the first hurdle will in fact be battery life. I do in fact regularly work 12 hour days. Add the hour exercise before or after, plus travel, change of clothing your looking at 14 hours. Plus going to dinner, out, etc. If I have to have a portable desk charger (which I have for my phone anyway) that might not be a deal breaker. But if I have to check the watch every hour for battery, that will be. I often go for long runs on the weekend. I'll get if I have to recharge after that, it's the daily stuff that will have me worried.

Next is comfort. I don't imagne this an issue, I wear a largish watch every day now (plus fitness band). But it has to be something I can and will wear daily.

How all this works together v. Cost. IMO the $400 cost seems fair. To get a decent GPS running watch is $200-$250. Add an advanced fitness tracker at another $100ish. But I want the features on Apple to work well and seemless.

There's three sizes of the band, at least according to Amazon, but the middle one is not being sold directly through them and is commanding a high premium.

I talked to several people who owned a Band, and a lot of them loved it but agreed there's room for improvement.

As for the Apple Watch, I can almost guarantee that they won't remove the crown anytime soon. It's a defining feature of the watch and a huge differentiator from other smartwatches. It's also integral to how you interact with the watch. I don't think it's foolish to wait for the next version, as there will certainly be improvements, but if you're waiting for them to remove the crown, then you'll be waiting a long time.

Look at it this way, they still haven't removed the home button from the iPhone and iPad, even though its presence creates the largest bezels of any major smartphone currently in production and has made the phone larger than it needs to be. And they've kept the home button despite it getting a lot of flak from consumers. The crown is the home button of the Apple Watch, both literally and figuratively.
Yup, I keep expecting them to make the home button an electronic one, on the screen. Now that that have pressure touch technology, I wonder if they will?
Old 03-18-15, 09:01 AM
Banned by request

Not unless the screen can also read fingerprints accurately and securely for TouchID.
Old 03-18-15, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I thought there were only two when it was initially announced, but I fully admit I may have been wrong on that point. Either way, there's not much choice. No leather/metal/colour options.

The crown is the home button of the Apple Watch, both literally and figuratively.
Sure, I think you make a valid point.
From what I've seen, I don't see how the crown couldn't be replaced with a non-mechanical solution. I agree that it's a defining feature, which means Jony Ive Apple will go as long as possible without removing it. But, if buyers don't care for it (a legitimate concern, I think), then it'll happen sooner than later. Maybe not with #2, but... eventually... IF there's enough negative feedback about how it works.

Like I said, I think a touch-sensitive side-panel that can register slides and taps would be pretty cool, and might be more intuitive than turning a knob (unrelated, but... I can't think of the last knob I physically turned. Weird...)
Old 03-18-15, 03:28 PM
Banned by request

Personally I think the crown is an elegant and ingenious solution to the problem of navigating a screen that small. And all the hands on articles I've read have said it feels very solid.
Old 03-18-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The crown reminds me of the old iPod scroll wheel, which is a feature I actively miss from current models of iPods/Phones.
Old 03-19-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well everyone knew this was coming. And looks like it looks good as well. I'm sure there will be others.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/19/...band-adapters/

Simple adapter giving the ability to use any standard (22mm) watch band. Good chance this will be my first non-Apple accessory, assuming I keep Apple Watch
Old 03-19-15, 03:33 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, that seems like an obvious addition. I'm going to see how I like the sport band before worrying about additional straps. Aside from the adapter, there will also be plenty of third party straps.
Old 03-21-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. I know I want a metal link band. I'll be more comfortable w/that for meetings and such. But the Apple one is rediculously expensive.

One of things not getting a lot of press is the fact that Apple is changing up their stores just for Apple Watch. Why is that a big deal? Apple Store is one of the most successful retail stores. Regardless how you feel about Apple, they figured out a way to make a hugely successful store. Their model has been a huge success and it had to be tempting to not alter that model.

It's like Ford and their new F150 ( uses a lot of aluminum). Ford would have arguable gone out of business long ago if not for the success of the F150. Yet they are changing it up significantly and in a way that might appeal to all.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.