Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 03-10-15, 02:07 AM

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Huge emphasis on Asia in the intro video, China specifically.
Old 03-10-15, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The 220 is a killer fitness watch. The battery will last 2-3 times as long as the iWatch. You don't need a phone or any other device to do any GPS tracking. It has an accelerometer, heart rate monitoring (with a strap, comes with the $299 model), foot pod for accurate cadence measuring, and Live Tracking providing real-time data on your run (including position and velocity), although that does require running with your phone.

And as for my own preferences, I don't care who's texting or calling when I'm running anyhow. For distances 4 miles or under (or running around the neighborhood), I usually leave the phone at home.

I will concede that being able to do HRM without a strap is a plus for the iWatch, but that benefit is demolished without untethered GPS access. Add in all the features you can get with the Garmin 920 for an extra $50 (lap and open water swimming tracking, cycling, integrated metrics that can gauge power, cadence, form, uploading course maps and virtual running partners, and so on), and the iWatch falls very short in comparison as a *sports* watch. It's simply behind the curve when you compare it to running watches of its ilk.

As a casual piece of wearable tech, it's nifty. But I'll stick with my 220 for now (upgrading to the 920 soon for triathlon season).
Cool. I agree, built in GPS would be nice, but few smart watches have that.

Apple Watch has a built in accelometer as well. And is a full daily wear tracker (meaning if I got the Garmin, I'd still have to wear my Nike Fuel Band).

As for metric, I'm not sure what more you would want. I use Nike+ now which will be on Apple Watch. It uploads maps, gives pace, distance by mile, shows elevation, speed changes. It is similar to Strava. It has training plans, challenges, built in coach, etc.

And that's just Nike. Unlike Garmin (or Polar) with the apps, your not limited to one. Again, it will be interesting to see how long before Garmin or Polar have their own app for it.

No, I don't believe you can swim with it. And I realize for a triathlete that is significant. But it does track biking. And having kids, it would be nice to see who is calling/texting. However, I do more than run. I also do weights and a bit of crossfit. All of which Apple Watch will track.

Tethering will be interesting. Only one or two current smartphones have stand alone GPS so you could run without your phone. But then you lose the texting, calling, power of the phone, apps, etc.

My short list of alternatives includes the 220 and m400. Assuming I have no issues having my phone with me, I'm still not seeing what those do "more" of than Apple Watch (or any smartwatch). I realize some will automatically dismiss a smartwatch that has no built in GPS, and that is fine and a preference. I took up running 5 years ago, and used my phone to track my runs on 99.9% of them. So no issue having a phone with me.

And since it wil, replace my Nike Fuelband (like a Fitbit), track my weight lifting, rowing, etc. I think it will work well. And that is just using its built in Fitness App and Nike+. Other apps will come along.

I'm excited to try it. If I don't like it, I'll retun it and get a Garmin or Polar. Course I'd lay decent money that those will drop in price (least the base models), much like Pebble did. So if I like Apple Watch for most things but really want something else for the sole purpose of running, that won't be out of the question.
Old 03-10-15, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
New macbook.

"It took reinventing every technology in it," says Phil Schiller. Just two pounds, the lightest Mac ever made. 13mm thin, the thinnest ever.

it's just being called Macbook. No more 'Macbook Air'?

Previous thinnest Mac, 11" MacBook Air was 17.3mm.

Not really sure I see the point of this. Seems like it's just a Macbook Air with a Retina display, no USB ports, and two new colors.
Old 03-10-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For now they are keeping MacBook Air. Not sure they will long term. But I believe Air has smaller screens.
Old 03-10-15, 09:47 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the new macbook is more 'ipad with keyboard' than 'macbook air with less ports'

http://gizmodo.com/the-new-macbook-i...nk-1690390617#
Old 03-10-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's 12 inches, so it's the middle ground in terms of MacBook Airs.
Old 03-10-15, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by oncease View Post
Huge emphasis on Asia in the intro video, China specifically.
On the cover of China Vogue, last year:

Clearly, Cupertino wants to present it as a chic device for the tech-savvy fashionista. According to Vogue China EIC Angelica Cheung, she met with Apple CEO Tim Cook and head designer Jony Ive way before the watch's September 9 unveiling, hinting that the company always meant to put some focus on fashion when it comes to marketing this particular product.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/10/a...watch-fashion/

The Apple Watch particularly the undoubtedly very expensive 18-karat gold edition sees Apple attempt to move closer into the world of fashion and luxury than it's ever been before.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/10/6...es-apple-watch
Old 03-10-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There will be third party bands. Tons of them.
Doesn't change the price of the OEM bands. But that won't stop the fanbois, as we all know.
Old 03-10-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I didn't already have a Garmin 620 (I have to have my 4 data fields so didn't get the 220, but it ends up being pretty good in some other ways too), I might be tempted, but for now I think I'm better off with what I have. I'm not always running near towers, and my phone's GPS seems pretty mediocre in those circumstances from what I can tell (I haven't really tested that too much but I was yesterday and it seemed not that great). Also my Garmin does great in wet conditions, I don't worry about it all, and I'm not so sure about the apple watch plus I know a few people who have killed their iPhones taking them out in a hard rain and it's useless without the phone (there are, of course solutions to most of this but they end up making everything bulkier.)

So I'll wait and see for now.
Old 03-10-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There will be third party bands. Tons of them.
Please don't respond to the troll. All it does is make him believe he is relevant, and then he just posts more white noise.
Old 03-10-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
Please don't respond to the troll. All it does is make him believe he is relevant, and then he just posts more white noise.
Funny, since you are the one that is the troll.
Old 03-10-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Doesn't change the price of the OEM bands. But that won't stop the fanbois, as we all know.
We all know fanbois only buy Apple-made accessories? Got any proof of that?
Old 03-10-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
If I didn't already have a Garmin 620 (I have to have my 4 data fields so didn't get the 220, but it ends up being pretty good in some other ways too), I might be tempted, but for now I think I'm better off with what I have. I'm not always running near towers, and my phone's GPS seems pretty mediocre in those circumstances from what I can tell (I haven't really tested that too much but I was yesterday and it seemed not that great). Also my Garmin does great in wet conditions, I don't worry about it all, and I'm not so sure about the apple watch plus I know a few people who have killed their iPhones taking them out in a hard rain and it's useless without the phone (there are, of course solutions to most of this but they end up making everything bulkier.)

So I'll wait and see for now.
This is an excellent response. These are the exact concerns I have. I don't think any of them are "deal killers" and since I have no real stand alone GPS watch, I think Apple Watch is the way to go, or at least try. But to your points (all of which I agree).

-No smartphone seems to be as accurate with GPS as a middle and up stand along GPS running watch. I've read why and don't remember all the details, but something about how phones not only use GPS (satellite) but also cell towers and smartphones software. This is not an Apple issue but all smartphones. I have been running only with my iPhone and believe this to be true. If borrowing a friends GPS watch, running a race (certified course - which also has issues), known route, my phone seems to slightly over-estimate my distance depending on total distance, buildings in the area etc. For example, when I ran a half marathon on cloudy day on the Las Vegas Strip, my phone actually said 13.6 miles. Yet running a half marathon out in the open (away from buildings) on a clear day in Arizona it showed 13.2. Of course some of these issues plague GPS running watches as well.

As someone who wants to improve but knows I'll never compete for a win or even in my age group, I think the error range of smartphone (and thus most smart watches), while likely larger than a GPS running watch is still "fine". Meaning it will be consistent enough to track improvement and net positive results. Plus again, GPS running watches have similar issues. Just perhaps, not to the extreme of a smartphone. I run every year the Dallas Turkey Trot. It starts and is run almost exclusively downtown. It is rather humorous seeing many holding their arms at odd angles in hopes their GPS running watch will get a signal between all the buildings.

-Wet conditions. I run 99.9% of the time only with my iPhone. I essentially have 3 armbands I use. One my favorite, is a completely open design. It works great. However, if I think it might rain or is already a very light drizzle, I use a more traditional, fully enclosed case. It is not water proof, but works fine for "the light stuff". My 3rd armband is one of those cheap, thick, zip lock bag with a headphone connector. It is for taking your phone to the beach, on a boat or whatever. Its not the most comfortable, but is very light weight. It actually works well for the odd race where I think it will rain heavily. It is 100% water proof.

-I also have the Apple Care+ on my phone. So I feel more comfortable using it running and such. I can only assume Apple Watch will be offered as well and I'll certainly get it.

-As for the Apple Watch, it says water resistant. It mean, it is shown as a running/health tracker so it at least has to hold up to serious sweat. It will be interesting to see just how much water it can take.
Old 03-10-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the Nike+ app (or Apple's own tracker, or whatever) could possibly have jogging routes uploaded to it, and then have the watch attempt to line you up along that route based on the accelerometer data (detecting turns and such). I'm pretty sure the Nike+ site has a way to store your common routes, although I don't remember them being referenced on the iPhone app at all. Might be a way to simulate a GPS-like behavior without needing a phone present.
Old 03-10-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be getting the steel version. I just haven't decided on the leather band or the steel band.
Old 03-10-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
I wonder if the Nike+ app (or Apple's own tracker, or whatever) could possibly have jogging routes uploaded to it, and then have the watch attempt to line you up along that route based on the accelerometer data (detecting turns and such). I'm pretty sure the Nike+ site has a way to store your common routes, although I don't remember them being referenced on the iPhone app at all. Might be a way to simulate a GPS-like behavior without needing a phone present.
I've not seen anything on any platform that does that (if I understand what your asking).

Both Nike and Strava have "heat maps". These show you where others have run. Presumably this helps you find places to run. Nice feature especially when running while out of town.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

(Go into settings to select run, bike or both and change colors)

Your idea sounds interesting. When I am out of town I often ask the hotel if they have running routes near by and most do, but hand me a map. It would be nice if something were "up-loadable".
Old 03-10-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right, the Nike+ web site lets you draw a route on its map and store it under a name (which then presumably gets fed into their heat map data also). I was thinking there was a way to store a run from your activity history too, but I couldn't find that function on the site just now.

(I also just took a look at the Strava link you gave - don't know if it is very useful in Austin, looks like most every street is marked in blue around here )

But as I said, I don't see any way to access those stored routes on the iPhone app yet, so I'm not sure if they are at all useful. But seems like they could be - run a route once with your iPhone to get the GPS data, store the route somewhere on iCloud, then download that route back down to your watch to use it without the phone. They could even use the taptic feedback thing to tell you when to turn.

Does Apple watch have any kind of compass capability? That would also help the tracking in this case be more accurate.
Old 03-10-15, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
I was actually responding to the person who said they were considering buy the watch but after seeing the prices of the bands was reconsidering. I hadn't even noticed the troll post.
Old 03-10-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I'm late to the party but HOOOOOOLY shit at that 10k bullshit.
Old 03-11-15, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
Right, the Nike+ web site lets you draw a route on its map and store it under a name (which then presumably gets fed into their heat map data also). I was thinking there was a way to store a run from your activity history too, but I couldn't find that function on the site just now.

(I also just took a look at the Strava link you gave - don't know if it is very useful in Austin, looks like most every street is marked in blue around here )

But as I said, I don't see any way to access those stored routes on the iPhone app yet, so I'm not sure if they are at all useful. But seems like they could be - run a route once with your iPhone to get the GPS data, store the route somewhere on iCloud, then download that route back down to your watch to use it without the phone. They could even use the taptic feedback thing to tell you when to turn.

Does Apple watch have any kind of compass capability? That would also help the tracking in this case be more accurate.
I played around. It appears "my routes" only works on-line not in app. I actually have a couple routes save. My long run around the Lake in Dallas. My first half marathon in Las Vegas and a route I found in DC that loops many of the cities monuments that I never got to run.

I see what your saying now. You want Apple Watch to provide direction even without the phone. I don't know how that would work. I guess if it could establish your location before you disconnected to the phone. But it would be wildly inaccurate.

But IMO opinion, that is one benefit of having a tethered devise. It shouldn't be that hard to have an app on the Apple Watch read maps off the phone. In much the same way the Apple Watch will have access to your entire music library. Both on your phone and in iCloud even with only 4g of built in memory.

And with the built in memory, Bluetooth and accelerometer, you should be able to do and record runs without iPhone. I would think.
Old 03-11-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was actually responding to the person who said they were considering buy the watch but after seeing the prices of the bands was reconsidering. I hadn't even noticed the troll post.
My apologies. I should have known better.
Old 03-11-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This applies here

The alt text is funny too.
Old 03-11-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, Nike+ just announced new partners.

"We've made the Nike+ Running
community even bigger by partnering with four
industry-leading companies – Garmin, TomTom,
Wahoo Fitness and Netpulse."

I think they include now 99% of the market.

When I got my TomTom watch I really missed Nike+, and I'm sure that some people here want to get one of those shiny new Garmins but didn't want to leave Nike+, so this should help.

I already mentioned here, or in another thread, I love my TomTom cardio watch, because it has everything I need. Yes, it includes a heart rate monitor. No strap needed. When I run I want to carry the less things possible.

But yeah, I can see someone like Sdallnct, who travels a lot, and needs to carry his smartphone, the apple watch is the right match.
Old 03-11-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Also, Nike+ just announced new partners.

"We've made the Nike+ Running
community even bigger by partnering with four
industry-leading companies Garmin, TomTom,
Wahoo Fitness and Netpulse."

I think they include now 99% of the market.

When I got my TomTom watch I really missed Nike+, and I'm sure that some people here want to get one of those shiny new Garmins but didn't want to leave Nike+, so this should help.

I already mentioned here, or in another thread, I love my TomTom cardio watch, because it has everything I need. Yes, it includes a heart rate monitor. No strap needed. When I run I want to carry the less things possible.

But yeah, I can see someone like Sdallnct, who travels a lot, and needs to carry his smartphone, the apple watch is the right match.
Well I think a smart choice since I don't already have a Garmin and want one. We shall see.
Old 03-11-15, 09:35 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
This applies here

The alt text is funny too.
I'd say the first 2 "if they say..." points apply to ipad. see this forum's initial thoughts on the product:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/5...ting-ipad.html

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.