Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 03-09-15, 01:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

10K just sounds mental.

Will people replace their watches every 2 years like the iPhone etc?
Old 03-09-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
10K just sounds mental.

Will people replace their watches every 2 years like the iPhone etc?
Doubtful....most don't do that with iPhone either. They do it with iPhone in the US because of the way the carriers will subsidize the cost. But some carriers are moving away from that, but are offering financing. Which may or may not have the same effect (if it lowers the price of the service it might).

That is an issue currently plaguing iPad's. Sales are down as people are happy with them and no subsidy.

As for the cost, remember it is 18k gold. That material alone has to be several thousand dollars.
Old 03-09-15, 01:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It is, but when you can get an 18K mechanical watch for the same price which will hold it's value. I guess I just don't see the value in the 'edition' versions

It's like the Vertu phones reallyu.
Old 03-09-15, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haha people are gonna be getting robbed left and right
Old 03-09-15, 01:55 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

people have been running / working out with pretty expensive devices (e.g. their phones) for awhile now and the thievery has gonna down in the past few years. most apple watch wearers should be ok.

now, the $10K people -- that's an upper echelon i know little about. you're on your own if you're gonna going running out at night with that thing on.
Old 03-09-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

8.2 is available for download now.
Old 03-09-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HN View Post
people have been running / working out with pretty expensive devices (e.g. their phones) for awhile now and the thievery has gonna down in the past few years. most apple watch wearers should be ok.

now, the $10K people -- that's an upper echelon i know little about. you're on your own if you're gonna going running out at night with that thing on.
If I'm paying that much for Apple Watch, I'm probably paying someone else to run that marathon for me too .
Old 03-09-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm an Apple fan and have defended plenty of products in the past from critics who didn't get it, but today's keynote confirmed for me how comically pointless and oversold this watch is. I can't believe there are people willing to spend $1,000 on what amounts to a physical Notification Center on your wrist.
Old 03-09-15, 03:28 PM
Banned by request

I'll be getting the 42mm space grey sport as a birthday gift.
Old 03-09-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's one ugly watch. Don't know what it offers in functionality, but I wouldn't wear anything that looks that ugly.
Old 03-09-15, 03:36 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I like the look of the watch I think it will do well, but as someone who has a rolex and a couple of Panerai's - I am not the target market at all.

It's probably more aimed at the those who would buy a burberry or chanel watch
Old 03-09-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was planning on getting a sport model and just swiching out the band for something nicer later, like a leather one or something. It looks like the watchstraps are where most of the cost is coming from though.
Mac Rumors has posted some info on band pricing.

Replacement sport bands will go for $50 each. Leather straps will go for between $150-250.

The metal link band? $450.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/09/...bands-pricing/

As someone who was really gung-ho about buying one leading up to today's presentation...now I'm starting to change my mind.
Old 03-09-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As strictly a sports watch, the iWatch looks pretty disappointing to me. For $449 I can get a Garmin 920 that has LOADS more functionality and useful metrics (swimming, biking, running) and I don't have to be tethered to an iPhone. Or for $249 I can get a Garmin 220 that has all the same functionality except for Wi-Fi.

No built-in GPS -- yeesh...
Old 03-09-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
As strictly a sports watch, the iWatch looks pretty disappointing to me. For $449 I can get a Garmin 920 that has LOADS more functionality and useful metrics (swimming, biking, running) and I don't have to be tethered to an iPhone. Or for $249 I can get a Garmin 220 that has all the same functionality except for Wi-Fi.

I'm very curious why you say this.

When I moved up running distances from 5k's to half marathons last summer I was looking at GPS watches (the Garmin 220 is on my short list) but once I heard about Apple Watch, I decided to hold off.

While the Garmin is an excellent GPS running watch, it can't compete with Apple Watch in overall fitness/health features. No heart rate monitor, no daily tracker feature, etc. A closer comparison would be the Polar m400 w/heart rate strap. But again, that is a chest strap that I doubt anyone would wear all day. But one very huge benefit that those do not offer is the ability to change music and see who is calling/texting you quickly and easily from the watch.

While I certainly agree I wish GPS was built, there are advantages to being tethered to the iPhone. You are using all of its power. You can use different apps (such as Nike+ which is not available - easily - from Garmin or Polar). I'll be curious to see if any of these guys come out with an app for Apple Watch.

I do believe Apple watch will track biking. And lets not forget the development of 3rd party apps that would not be available for Polar or Garmin. Easy example, when I started increasing my distances the only issue I had was a very tight, to the point of being painful, hip flexor (I'm old...lol). Well I d/l a stretching and yoga apps to help with that and totally solved it. I imagine similar will be available for Apple Watch.
Old 03-09-15, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I'm an Apple fan and have defended plenty of products in the past from critics who didn't get it, but today's keynote confirmed for me how comically pointless and oversold this watch is. I can't believe there are people willing to spend $1,000 on what amounts to a physical Notification Center on your wrist.
Are you questioning the cost of Apple specifically or the value/usefullness of smartwatches overall.

I think Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport will sell a ton. Edition will find a niche market.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'll be getting the 42mm space grey sport as a birthday gift.
I've set every reminder I on everything I have to order the day I can (April 10).
Old 03-09-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by redrum View Post
Haha people are gonna be getting robbed left and right
I imagine there is will be a disable feature just like smartphones and iPads.
Old 03-09-15, 04:28 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apple's battery life info for the watch (numbers below for 38mm; 42mm will experience longer life):

-conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software.

-All-Day Battery Life: Up to 18 hours

-Talk Time Test: Up to 3 hours

-Audio Playback Test: Up to 6.5 hours

-Workout Test: Up to 7 hours

-Watch Test: Up to 48 hours

-Power Reserve: Up to 72 hours

Charge Time
-About 1.5 hours to 80%
-About 2.5 hours to 100%

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html
Old 03-09-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post

It has different functionality - for example, can the Garmin show me texts, phone calls, emails, FB messages and Twitter notifications in addition to all of the health functionality?

This will replace my Pebble and my FitBit, so that's worth it to me.
Old 03-09-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson View Post
I was planning on getting a sport model and just swiching out the band for something nicer later, like a leather one or something. It looks like the watchstraps are where most of the cost is coming from though.

Replacement sport bands will go for $50 each. Leather straps will go for between $150-250.

The metal link band? $450.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/09/...bands-pricing/

As someone who was really gung-ho about buying one leading up to today's presentation...now I'm starting to change my mind.
Sounds about right for the iWatch. Overpay for the watch itself, and WAY overpay for the bands.
Old 03-09-15, 05:32 PM
Banned by request

There will be third party bands. Tons of them.
Old 03-09-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
Apple's battery life info for the watch (numbers below for 38mm; 42mm will experience longer life):

-conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software.

-All-Day Battery Life: Up to 18 hours

-Talk Time Test: Up to 3 hours

-Audio Playback Test: Up to 6.5 hours

-Workout Test: Up to 7 hours

-Watch Test: Up to 48 hours

-Power Reserve: Up to 72 hours

Charge Time
-About 1.5 hours to 80%
-About 2.5 hours to 100%

http://www.apple.com/watch/battery.html
That is very good news. I won't say it is excellent, but very good compared to what we were hearing. Or maybe the perception I took of what I was hearing.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There will be third party bands. Tons of them.
Yup, if true ($400is), I will not be getting the Apple metal band (or as a "fanboy" am I required to - I don't know the rules). I will wait for non-OEM.

I can't find it now, but I thought in all the FB feeds I thought I read were it said the Sport was only compatible with the plastic bands. I thought I've seen photos of Sport with other bands or maybe it was the other watches with the plastic band.

But looking at the Apple site, I can't image all versions not being compatible with all bands. For me personally though, I'll wait for non-OEM anyway.

Interesting that some models come with multiple bands. I image fit is very important for the rear sensors to fit properly.

"Standalone Sport bands are priced at $49 across the board, and are available in Black w/ Space Gray pin, Black, White, Pink, Blue, and Green. The Apple Watch Sport is only available pre-configured with Sport bands. Each Apple Watch Sport band purchase actually comes with two bands: one Small-Medium band and one Medium-Large band."
Old 03-09-15, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What I'd call a "sub-par" mini-review. Meaning he was questioning if he would want....now I do agree.... don't think it is going to be one of those "OMG this is the best thing since sliced bread" the minute you put it on your wrist items. I think it would take time get use to it and use to using it.

My only concern is I'm hoping he has tiny wrists. That watch looked pretty big on his wrist. I'm assuming it is 42mm.

http://gizmodo.com/apple-watch-hands...ium=socialflow

The video here looks more like I'd expect. Maybe that gixmodo video is just an odd angle or something.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...vent/24536117/

Last edited by Sdallnct; 03-09-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson View Post

Is it the cost of the other bands that has you changing your mind? I admit that is a concern for me. But non-OEM bands will be available.

I was set on Sport in SG w/black band + the metal link band. However at over $400 (if that is correct) just for the metal link band, I won't get that. But still will get the SG w/black band and wait for a metal band from another company.
Old 03-09-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'm very curious why you say this.

When I moved up running distances from 5k's to half marathons last summer I was looking at GPS watches (the Garmin 220 is on my short list) but once I heard about Apple Watch, I decided to hold off.
The 220 is a killer fitness watch. The battery will last 2-3 times as long as the iWatch. You don't need a phone or any other device to do any GPS tracking. It has an accelerometer, heart rate monitoring (with a strap, comes with the $299 model), foot pod for accurate cadence measuring, and Live Tracking providing real-time data on your run (including position and velocity), although that does require running with your phone.

And as for my own preferences, I don't care who's texting or calling when I'm running anyhow. For distances 4 miles or under (or running around the neighborhood), I usually leave the phone at home.

I will concede that being able to do HRM without a strap is a plus for the iWatch, but that benefit is demolished without untethered GPS access. Add in all the features you can get with the Garmin 920 for an extra $50 (lap and open water swimming tracking, cycling, integrated metrics that can gauge power, cadence, form, uploading course maps and virtual running partners, and so on), and the iWatch falls very short in comparison as a *sports* watch. It's simply behind the curve when you compare it to running watches of its ilk.

As a casual piece of wearable tech, it's nifty. But I'll stick with my 220 for now (upgrading to the 920 soon for triathlon season).
Old 03-09-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You'll be able to talk through it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.