Apple event March 9th.
Old 02-26-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Finally.
Old 02-27-15, 01:49 PM
Banned by request

Tim Cook confirms the Apple Watch will last a whole day: http://qz.com/352887/tim-cook-confir...t-a-whole-day/

He's awake about 18 hours a day, crazy.
Old 02-27-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Yeah Im interested in Space grey sport as well, but for me its the size of the band... Having big wrists makes buying watches a big pain in the ass.
Those sliding continuous loop bands look like they could fit on your forearm if you wanted. And I can't believe their won't be a dozen 3rd party bands available w/in a month of release.
Old 02-27-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Tim Cook confirms the Apple Watch will last a whole day: http://qz.com/352887/tim-cook-confir...t-a-whole-day/

He's awake about 18 hours a day, crazy.
Really? I wake at 4:30 and go to bed at 10:30
Old 02-27-15, 02:45 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5/6am to 12am for me but Cook is probably a little more productive than me in those hours.
Old 02-27-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Reading a little more about the health/fitness app built into/coming w/Apple Watch

https://www.apple.com/watch/health-and-fitness/

I've been using Nike+ GPS and Nike Fuelband for years. This Apple Watch really looks like a combination of the two plus more added.

It should appeal to a wide range of people. Just moving more. Getting up from sitting to much. Registering the recommended 30 min of daily exercise per day.

Hopefully there will be even more....or at least more w/the Apple Watch/phone combination.
Old 02-27-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some renderings of the new Pebble next to Apple Watch,

http://bgr.com/2015/02/27/apple-watch-vs-pebble-time/
Old 02-27-15, 11:59 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

22 models
Old 02-28-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What caught my eye, was not a sport watch that was so specific to Volley Ball, but the final paragraph:

http://qz.com/352724/here-comes-swat...e-apple-watch/

"But it raises an important question: In the smartwatch era, is a separate device for tracking beach volleyball—or running, or any specific activity—viable? Or will those functions simply become apps on a more general device, like an Apple- or Google-powered smartwatch? And, moreover, can a company like Swatch—with limited software expertise, but a strong legacy of watch design and distribution—effectively compete?"

This is exactly why I was surprised anyone would suggest Apple Watch (at least the Sport version) was a poor value. Any smartwatch for that matter. I have been looking at running watches. The model I was looking at was the "cheapest of the decent one's" and ran about $229 with no option for heart rate monitor. Recently I found a Polar that seems seems just as good w/heart rate monitor (a chest strap) for about the same money.

And again, these are the less expensive versions of even more expensive models which easily get to $500+ and sell well. These are popular within the running community and sell well. There are many models and highly competitive.

Now will these do a better job for running specifically than a smartwatch. Likely. But for non-professional, for the "weekend warrior", for the dude that runs as much for fitness as for competitiveness could a smartwatch work more than well enough? I would think. I've been using and mostly happy with (till Nike screwed up the app) Nike+ GPS on my iPhone since I started running 5 years ago.

Yes, I'm excited about many of the texting features. Quick look at email, even something like facebook which I find I use as much to find local events as as anything (several places I like to buy beer post their current tap list to their facebook page).

But I do think true running and fitness watches could see a significant dip in sales. They will need to offer something else I think. Now the triathletes need something else and completely water proof. So that will be a niche that most smartwatches can't compete with.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-28-15 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest loss for those of us who wear dumb watches is being lumped in with the hipster doofuses who use their smart watch during meetings to read text msgs or play candy crush saga.
Old 02-28-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I very much expect it tone like when I get a new iPhone. I seemingly don't put it down for a couple days and play way to much with it. But then after a few days settle down and use it as a tool.

I'll play way to much w/smartwatch when I get. But then I'll settle done and it will be fine.
Old 03-02-15, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot in this article. Most is not new....but this I find interesting,

“By April 10, 2015, we are expecting 100,000 Apple Watch Apps on AppStore. Currently, on an average there are 65 Apps per iPhone. We are estimating that an average Apple Watch will have 100 Apps per Apple Watch. There will be no single killer app for Apple Watch – each user will have their own set of Killer Apps... one way to think is that the consumer is getting 100 different devices in one Apple Watch.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22982/...#ixzz3TEtFd2ni

I'm not really into the "100 different devices" or the value aspect of it. But I find it interesting that the average iPhone user has 60 apps, yet they anticipate the average Apple Watch user will have 100.

I have much more on my iPhone than on my iPad and there are some significant differences. I simply do different things on iPad than iPhone w/some overlap of course. I can see similar with Apple Watch. But MORE apps on my watch than phone? That I'm not seeing. Well yet anyway...
Old 03-02-15, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
This one please,

Old 03-02-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The biggest loss for those of us who wear dumb watches is being lumped in with the hipster doofuses who use their smart watch during meetings to read text msgs or play candy crush saga.
It will make it easier to spot them, thats for sure.
Old 03-02-15, 06:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
A lot in this article. Most is not new....but this I find interesting,

“By April 10, 2015, we are expecting 100,000 Apple Watch Apps on AppStore. Currently, on an average there are 65 Apps per iPhone. We are estimating that an average Apple Watch will have 100 Apps per Apple Watch. There will be no single killer app for Apple Watch – each user will have their own set of Killer Apps... one way to think is that the consumer is getting 100 different devices in one Apple Watch.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/22982/...#ixzz3TEtFd2ni

I'm not really into the "100 different devices" or the value aspect of it. But I find it interesting that the average iPhone user has 60 apps, yet they anticipate the average Apple Watch user will have 100.

I have much more on my iPhone than on my iPad and there are some significant differences. I simply do different things on iPad than iPhone w/some overlap of course. I can see similar with Apple Watch. But MORE apps on my watch than phone? That I'm not seeing. Well yet anyway...
I suspect there will be a lot that the watch can do that while the phone can also do it, it's so much more convenient having it on your wrist that you'll end up using it more. That's my guess as to why they say the average will be 100 apps versus 60 on the phone.
Old 03-03-15, 05:03 PM
Banned by request

Google rumored to add iPhone support to Android Wear: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/a...ome-to-iphone/

Game changer!(?)
Old 03-03-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talk about a game changer...check this out,

http://dcinno.streetwise.co/2015/03/...edition-sport/

WTF? I thought Sport would be $349. But this is saying Apple Watch (the SS version) will start at $349 and the Sport (Aluminum) would be cheaper! I'm not sure how to take that. Meaning I'm not sure I believe it. Seems $349 would be the cheapest Apple would go and aluminum is cheaper than steal.

But if true...wow! I'll have to re-think things. Maybe.
Old 03-03-15, 08:05 PM
Banned by request

Doubtful. There was a spread on the Apple Watch in a UK issue of Style, and it had a model wearing a 38mm Sport, which the magazine listed at $349.

It's confusing because they call the whole line Apple Watch (adding Sport and Edition to the low and high tiers), but just call the middle watch "Apple Watch", so some statements about the whole line are being confused as statements only about the mid-tier watch.
Old 03-03-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That very well may be it. Apple Watch starting at $349 might not mean "Apple Watch" is $349.

In a more general term, I agree with the article that the Sport version will be the cheapest as it will be "fitness" focused rather than fashion focused.
Old 03-04-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not really an emulator, but interesting to take a quick look at how some apps could look on Apple Watch.

http://watchaware.com/watch-apps
Old 03-04-15, 02:40 PM
Banned by request

Nice!
Old 03-05-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is pretty fun as well. Quickly change watches and and bands. Still think I'm sticking with the SG Sport, but gives an idea of other bands. I like the metal link, but depending on cost maybe not enough to get immediately. Might wait on 3rd party ones.

http://mixyourwatch.com
Old 03-05-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very cool. I'm also thinking the SG Sport is the best choice, but now I can't decide which band I like best.
Old 03-05-15, 12:48 PM
Banned by request

I'm Going to get the SG sport 42mm with the sport strap to start. Then I'll take a little time to check out the other bands and buy one or two to use when I'm not working out.

Then again, I may just jump straight for the black leather band...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.