Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 01-23-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

There's a difference between SOT and active use though. If it's just displaying the time and doing some basic things, sure it'll last a long time. Active use of it will probably drain it very quickly. Akin to the Moto X phones that only light a certain part of the screen when you trigger the proximity meter for the Time/Quicklook Messages.
Old 01-23-15, 01:52 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
It's 4 hours of continue use. Like with the iPhone, you can drain the battery in 6 hours or so if you keep browsing non-stop using LTE. I'm sure you can drain an iPhone battery in less time playing a powerful game.

But yeah, most people expected the watch battery to last one week or something like that. Not to recharge every night. It's a change of mindset, like with the iPhone, how often did you charge your phone before smartphones?

I don't plan on getting this watch though. At least not the first generation.
Anyone who thought this watch was going to go for a week without charging is delusional. The Pebble goes a week without charging because it's got an e-ink screen and does far less than the Apple Watch or Android Wear.

That being said, the numbers listed in the rumor article are still atrocious.
Old 01-23-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Anyone who thought this watch was going to go for a week without charging is delusional. The Pebble goes a week without charging because it's got an e-ink screen and does far less than the Apple Watch or Android Wear.

That being said, the numbers listed in the rumor article are still atrocious.
I was thinking (hoping?) that it would be 4-6 hours of continuous use + normal use the rest of the day with the nightly charging.

If it went the 2.5-4 hours of "active" use PLUS 12-14 hours of normal use and then need nightly charging, it might work. But to be dead, dead after 2.4-4 hours of active use is really bad.

I get that it is anticipated that one would only have active use a couple hours a day. But to completely kill the battery just for that is that bad.
Old 01-23-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the rumors end up being true, that is just one more reason NOT to get the iwatch.
Old 01-23-15, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
There's a difference between SOT and active use though. If it's just displaying the time and doing some basic things, sure it'll last a long time. Active use of it will probably drain it very quickly. Akin to the Moto X phones that only light a certain part of the screen when you trigger the proximity meter for the Time/Quicklook Messages.
I think that should be okay... If it can do 24 hours SOT including a few hours of active use. Guess it depends on how you use it but I am not going spend 5+ hours of actual usage on the watch. Mostly notifications, briefly read some emails, hangouts, navigation, control music, things like that. I am not going to browse the Web or play games on it for a long duration
Old 01-23-15, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

The rumor mill is saying 19 hours of "mixed use".
Old 01-23-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, it's an accessory for your phone, not a replacement for it, so we shouldn't be expecting equal time regardless.
Old 01-23-15, 10:05 PM
Banned by request

At the same time, the purpose of the device is to be used often so you don't have to pull out your phone, so it should have robust battery life.
Old 01-24-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The rumor mill is saying 19 hours of "mixed use".
Really? That could work. Maybe not be able to use on long runs on the weekend, but a more typical 45-90 min workout + "normal daily" use. I could live with that.

I about ran my iPhone 6 dry on my first half marathon. I used the Nike+ running app that left the screen on the entire time plus used GPS the entire time. The 2nd HM I ran, I ran the Nike+ app in the background so the screen shut off, but the GPS kept going (along w/music). This only wore my battery to about 70%.

All that to say, maybe the iPhone is not idea for longer workouts anyway. I'm trying not to justify the weaker battery life of the aWatch. But still think it could actually be a good value (maybe...the sport anyway).

My single biggest concern is aWatch 2. Unlike iPhone that is essentially to the point of minor tweaks at each upgrade, I could see a huge jump from aWatch to aWatch 2. I could see if being significantly thinner, longer battery, more apps, better integration, etc, etc. But that is why, no matter what I'll get the cheapest version.
Old 01-27-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like shipping in March. Would seem we would start hearing about ordering and such soon.
Old 01-27-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And by March, you mean April.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/27/79...ase-date-april
Old 01-27-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Evidently that is what I meant. Annoyed.

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/apple-w...mbid=social_fb
Old 01-28-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As with anything Apple, looks like we are going to have to wait and see final specs for the iWatch. Personally, I see it as a useless piece of tech, which undoubtedly means that every fanboi is going to be clamoring to get an iWatch on release day.
Old 01-28-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
As with anything Apple, looks like we are going to have to wait and see final specs for the iWatch. Personally, I see it as a useless piece of tech, which undoubtedly means that every fanboi is going to be clamoring to get an iWatch on release day.
I get the feeling that Apple is allowing the conversation to lower expectations prior to launch. Similar to how the buzz leading up to the release of the iPad had speculation regarding price at about $1000. The $499 base price blew everyone away.

If it can do everything that my iPod Nano 6th Gen can do (plus play video) for a decent price, I'll seriously consider it.
Old 01-28-15, 05:43 PM

So apparently the iPhone, which is absolutely gargantuan, indeed so much so that Apple Just Had The Most Profitable Quarter Of Any Company Ever somehow sold to few "fanbois" the first couple of months, never mind just on release day. Yet, you know, success happened.

What I'm trying to say, it is best to wait for a brand new Apple to release to happen, before we predict everything.
Old 01-28-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's nice for Ted to pop in every few months to remind everyone how awesome Apple is.
Old 01-29-15, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oddly, I think the opposite. At least for me. And perhaps that is why In part, Apple calls it the most "personal" device yet.

I use my iPhone daily to track my running and workouts. I've been looking at GPS running watches. Decent ones start at $250 and go to $400+. And the vast majority are ONLY used during a run. Meaning if you wanted, you would need another $100 "wear all the time" fitness tracker.

So from a running, health tracking standpoint, I think it very useful and a fair price. Least the Sport model.

Now if I was not into that or already had $500 GPS running watch and $100 fitness tracker, then I'd have to look more closely. But as is, I'm disappointed I won't have this for my next big race.

To be honest, I haven't looked at much more it can do past the health part. I will buy it for that alone and feel worth while. And see what else it will do for me after I get.
Old 01-29-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's nice for Ted to pop in every few months to remind everyone how awesome Apple is.
That seems only fair, if only to balance out the puerile posts that refer to all Apple customers as "fanbois".
Old 01-29-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
That seems only fair, if only to balance out the puerile posts that refer to all Apple customers as "fanbois".
Yeah, that makes it better.
Old 01-29-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
So apparently the iPhone, which is absolutely gargantuan, indeed so much so that Apple Just Had The Most Profitable Quarter Of Any Company Ever somehow sold to few "fanbois" the first couple of months, never mind just on release day. Yet, you know, success happened.

What I'm trying to say, it is best to wait for a brand new Apple to release to happen, before we predict everything.
What the fuck are you talking about?
Did you even read the post you quoted? The one where I said exactly the same thing as you said in your last line?
Old 01-29-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does that work, since he is the one that referred to "all apple customers as fanbois"?
Old 01-29-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apple fights are silly and nobody wins. It is kind of amusing that some things as high quality as Apple products are almost the new generic, but I give them props for getting a lot of other companies to bring up their game.
Old 01-29-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that makes it better.
Please, enlighten me. What, specifically, was there in Ted's post that was inflammatory, or even inaccurate?

Was it the fact that Apple did just post record-breaking profit numbers? Or, perhaps it was the fact that such profits could not be the result of "fanboi" purchases (especially in light of the fact that Tim Cook cited activation stats that show that 85% of the purchases of new iPhones during the last quarter came from new customers)? Or maybe it was the brazen way he actually suggested waiting until we can see the new product before passing judgment on it?

By contrast, can you cite anything in jjcool's post that was anything but inflammatory and inaccurate?
Old 01-29-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Please, enlighten me. What, specifically, was there in Ted's post that was inflammatory, or even inaccurate?

Was it the fact that Apple did just post record-breaking profit numbers? Or, perhaps it was the fact that such profits could not be the result of "fanboi" purchases (especially in light of the fact that Tim Cook cited activation stats that show that 85% of the purchases of new iPhones during the last quarter came from new customers)? Or maybe it was the brazen way he actually suggested waiting until we can see the new product before passing judgment on it?

By contrast, can you cite anything in jjcool's post that was anything but inflammatory and inaccurate?
I never said anything in Ted's post was inflammatory, I'm just very familiar with his posting history. Whatever jjcool says was completely irrelevant to me and my original post.

But I forget, you've thrown around your accusatory tone at me before so c'est la vie. Keep fighting the good fight!

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-29-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 03:05 AM

The classy thing to do would have been to release a nice looking analog watch (for which I would easily pay $400 anyway), with useful features such as Haptic feedback for notifications, NFC for apple pay, and of course sensors galore to measure health. At the very most I would have made the watch's dial with e-ink so you could have different looking dials and see who the notifications are from. That's it.

For me, Apple went completely in the wrong direction with this. A crown for user input? What year is this? They overdid it with this one, they tried to re-invent a product that people use for nothing besides a fashion accessory nowadays. And it looks ugly as hell.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.