Old 09-18-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Nope. I don't have an iAnything.
Old 09-18-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Here's the other question: What's the refresh cycle on these going to be? Yearly? How often do they expect people to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars? I know that their computers generally get yearly refreshes, but the expectation is that people will keep their computers for years, and a Macbook Pro from 2010 can basically do whatever a Macbook Pro in 2014 can do. With mobile devices, the refresh expectation is about two years, and the iPhone 4 is missing a lot of capabilities from the 5S, let alone the 6.
Yup...that is why a multi-thousand $$ aWatch surprises me. And as the first one, you know the 2nd one will be a big upgrade.

But I'm more excited about the watch than I am iPhone 6.
Old 09-18-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't even think about third party bands, good call.
While nothing is for sure till available, but....

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-watch-get...ds-7000033744/

This guy has some ideas for bands. The reversible one might be worth while.

http://mashable.com/2014/09/11/apple-watch-bands/
Old 09-18-14, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Yup...that is why a multi-thousand $$ aWatch surprises me. And as the first one, you know the 2nd one will be a big upgrade.

But I'm more excited about the watch than I am iPhone 6.
I mean, they can do yearly refreshes like computers if all they're doing is giving slight spec bumps to the internals. But if the Apple Watch 2 has functionality that the Apple Watch 1 doesn't, I think some people will be pissed. I'm thinking that since most of the functions are tied to the phone, the functionality of the Watch won't drastically change from generation to generation.
Old 09-18-14, 10:00 PM
Banned by request

Here is an argument against $10,000 Apple Watches: http://bgr.com/2014/09/18/apple-watc...edition-sport/
Old 09-19-14, 02:00 AM

Here is an argument against $10,000 Apple Watches: http://bgr.com/2014/09/18/apple-watc...edition-sport/
That is a pretty good article. Having been to many factories around the world (but not Fox), I can attest to the accuracy of his speculations.

I forsee the street market, in HongKong being saturated with fake iWatches that cost about $20 wholesale, but sell to tourists for $100. They will look very much like an Apple Watch in a dark pub. They will be functionally on par with a cheap $50 bluetooth watch (no sensors, or NFC).

They have non-functional $30 fake Google Glass, that look exactly like the real thing.... Well maybe if you do not look to close. The probably wholesale for about $5.

This stuff is aimed squarely at the young American tourist. They have a bad habit of trying to impress their peers with pretend wealth.
Old 09-19-14, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good article. But even he is saying it could be $5,000 (but is guessing closer to half that). Which is still a departure from previous models where the difference between the cheapest and most expensive was rarely even double.

It's not that I don't think it worth it or should cost that. Part of it may be this change in business model is something of Tim Cooks beliefs. If this is at all successful, you know then we actually will see Apple making gold iPhones and iPods.
Old 09-19-14, 12:59 PM
Banned by request

I doubt we'll see gold iPhones and iPads and such. Those are already established products that don't need to be upsold. Apple got 4 million pre-orders for the 6/6+ over the weekend. The watch is an unproven product that isn't an immediate must buy for a lot of people, so Apple needs to entice different segments of the market. Also with a phone you can personalize it by putting a case on it, not so with a watch. Apple's marketing it as "their most personal device ever" so it can't be on size fits all, it has to take into account different tastes and desires.

There are people who will buy a $2,500 gold Apple Watch. Most people will buy a Sport and some extra bands. The two segments will have very little overlap.
Old 09-19-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We shall see. But there are 3rd party companies that will bling out your iPhone. So I'd bet if successful w/aWatch, Apple will try with other products.

Good example is with cars. Many people would buy a Jeep or Truck and immediately take it to a custom shop for lifting, upgraded wheels, new bumpers, etc. Now you can get most do that from the dealers or even are OEM.

If there is a market, which I think Apple is testing here, then they may be tied of others making the money and offer it themselves.

I agree w/you on the different markets for aWatch. The the person that spends money having custom bodies put on their iPhone is a different market as well. The question is how big is that market for, them to get into it.
Old 09-26-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some ideas (and just ideas) on if Apple might partner with designers for aWatch,

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/apple-w...ide-id-1574401
Old 09-26-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
And Tag Heuer announces smart watch
http://www.pcworld.com/article/26072...martwatch.html
Curious what this will look like. Can't possibly be as ugly as the iWatch, can it?
Old 11-12-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Im still pretty locked in on getting a Sport aWatch. But looks like there will be some competetion. The new Microsoft band is cool, but the Fitbit Surge maybe the most direct competetion. If the fitness aspect is important to you.

http://www.wareable.com/smartwatches...watch-showdown

Impressive that it has GPS built in. But the aWatch I could see wearing all the time much more than the Surge that has no way to make it look more formal.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 11-12-14 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well this sucks...if true. Only 2.5-4 hours of "active" use. Will not work as a runners watch, like I was hoping. I was holding off getting a GPS running watch till these come out. But guess I'll be looking for a Garmin.

http://gizmodo.com/report-the-apple-...ium=socialflow

Of course this a rumor....so will have to see.
Old 01-22-15, 03:50 PM
Banned by request

2.5-4 hours of active use? Yeah, no.
Old 01-22-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good god. Of course it's not going to die after 2 hours. Apple rumors are complete and total clickbait 99.9999999999% of the time.
Old 01-22-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd actually say Apple rumors usually have some decent truth to them these days, so much that there's very little surprises when announcements are actually made.

Knowing that other smart watches have had issues with battery life it wouldn't be surprising, and remember that's "active" usage which would be screen on, using apps, all the time. Clicking on the actual report from the source, there's mention and links to other articles about battery life being a concern for awhile now since the announcement. It's not that far fetched at all.
Old 01-22-15, 05:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I think the truth is somewhere inbetween Draven and fumanstan's versions.

That said, there's no way Apple releases this thing with 4 hours of battery life. They'd kill the project before releasing something so ridiculous.
Old 01-22-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have a version I'm just saying that there's probably some truth to the rumor and shouldn't be so easily dismissed.
Old 01-22-15, 07:04 PM
Banned by request

Apple announces the Apple Watch, 2 hours of screen on time!

Additionally, here's a $150 accessory, the Apple big ass external battery.
Old 01-22-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I probably will.
Old 01-23-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Apple rumors are quantity over quality. There are so many flying around that yes, a few end up being true so things are known before the products are revealed. But there were hundreds that didn't come true.
Old 01-23-15, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe, and granted i don't spend any time on Apple specific sites, but the big rumors i've seen that make their way over to the other major tech sites tend to be spot on or pretty close as far as I've seen.
Old 01-23-15, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's 4 hours of continue use. Like with the iPhone, you can drain the battery in 6 hours or so if you keep browsing non-stop using LTE. I'm sure you can drain an iPhone battery in less time playing a powerful game.

But yeah, most people expected the watch battery to last one week or something like that. Not to recharge every night. It's a change of mindset, like with the iPhone, how often did you charge your phone before smartphones?

I don't plan on getting this watch though. At least not the first generation.
Old 01-23-15, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't have a version
Dammit. You know what I meant. Just that, as you said, these kinds of rumors that reach the bigger news outlets tend to be more realistic, as opposed to, y'know, the stuff that hits The Verge first.

I'm guessing that they prototyped some batteries that had about 4 hours of active use, and either they dumped them, OR when the thing is officially released, they'll say, "Yeah, but no one stares at their watch for 4 hours a day, right folks? You have nothing to worry about. Your government Apple Geniuses are in control.
Old 01-23-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt that it would only get a few hours SOT. I can get about 20-24 hours SOT on my LG G Watch.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.