Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

6- or 8-core processor for new computer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-27-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gathering parts for a new computer, but I'm not yet sure about the CPU. I'm going with AMD (only because of the price), and I wanted to aim high and get an 8-core FX processor running at 4 GHz. Sounds great, but is it necessary?

I want optimal power for Blu-ray playback, and I want to be able to do smooth editing of 1080p video. I'm not purposely building a "gaming rig," but I'm guessing one designed for Blu-rays would also be ideal for high-end games.

I assume 6 cores would handle those things without breaking a sweat. Is there any reason at all to get the more powerful processor?

Thank you!

--THX
Old 04-27-14, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: 6- or 8-core processor for new computer?

Blu-ray playback doesn't really take advantage of multiple cores. And honestly, it doesn't take a great deal of power (relative to modern processors) for it. Now, if you want to do something else on your computer while watching a blu-ray, then multiple cores will help there. Multicores are for multitasking, or multi-threaded programs.

It's also not really related to gaming, as games are far more dependent on your video card's power than the CPU. The bonus is that a gaming setup would have no problem handling blu-rays, as any video card will handle the task.

Video editing is CPU intensive, but these days most video cards can handle a lot of the heavy lifting.

The bottom line is that you can usually skimp on the CPU, but go with a good video card. That's really where you see the most bang for the buck.
Old 04-27-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get caught up in # of cores

in many cases an 8 core AMD is slower than a 4 core Intel in real world performance.

Figure out your budget
Figure out your most demanding app (playing blu-ray isn't it)
find the hardware that fits your budgets and meets the needs of your most demanding app (get a specific game title for example)

You might be better off with a slower processor and a higher end video card, depends on what you are really doing.

price in an SSD hard drive, that is where you will really feel seat of the pants increase
Old 04-30-14, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather go with Intel, but a quad-core is $100 more than the FX-8350 (the one I'm pondering), and the motherboards tend to cost more, too. Still have a lot more to buy for this new build, and need to work within my budget.

Okay, more cores don't necessarily equal better performance. I get that, and I suspected it, anyway. Now that I think about it, the most demanding work I'm going to ask of the processor is probably video encoding. That has always put a heavy load on my single-cores. I watched a benchmark test on YouTube that demonstrated how encoding is spread across all eight cores of the FX-8350.

Not to say that eight cores are essential, but they're not unjustified. They would seem to have a purpose. Is that assessment accurate?

--THX
Old 04-30-14, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which software title specifically are you using to encode video?

Once you answer that, you might be able to do some more research to figure it out. Probably not worth worrying about, you had your mind set to by the 8 core AMD before even starting this thread
Old 04-30-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if, BIG IF, your most used software is optimized for multi core processors, and tests show AMD really helps, then yeah.

I think Handbrake has been optimized over the years to use multiple cores, but really don't know the details.
Old 04-30-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A quick search in Tom's hardware shows that AMD never gets close to the i7s in performance .
Old 04-30-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
A quick search in Tom's hardware shows that AMD never gets close to the i7s in performance .
shhh, he doesn't want to hear that
Old 04-30-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX View Post
I would rather go with Intel, but a quad-core is $100 more than the FX-8350 (the one I'm pondering), and the motherboards tend to cost more, too. Still have a lot more to buy for this new build, and need to work within my budget.
Not sure if you're finding significantly different pricing, but between an FX-8350 at ~$199 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284) versus a i5 4670K at around ~$240 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140430180846:s), I'd try and go with the i5. I believe video encoding is usually aided by the hyperthreading in an i7, but that's a bigger leap in cost...

I looked for Handbrake benchmarks, here's one - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...k-cpu-review/4
Old 04-30-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Save your money and buy an i7.

I have a three-year-old quad-core i7 and I still don't have a need to upgrade the processor.