Reload this Page >

Educate me on digital cameras.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-28-13, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to buy a camera something reasonably nice I can take high res pics with but won't break my budget of about $300. My company is in constant need of photographers for some of our events but they amount they want to pay vs the amount the photographers want does not make it easy to find ones in our range so I figure I can make the extra cash and the camera will pay for itself after about four events. We pay $75 a marketing event photographers usually want around $125 or so. So I need something professional but not too expensive. And not my iphone cam or anything.
Old 12-28-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Educate me on digital cameras.

First, there are numerous camera threads in the Tech forum.

Second, no matter the camera you get, you will not get the same results. It is the photographer (you were using professionals. There is a reason they are professionals) not the camera.

$300 will buy a lot of camera today. A lot of good cameras. Few if any professional cameras. Though in general, if pic quality is most important, look for something with a larger sensor. I'm a big fan of the Sony NEX series. Tho I like it for the size. If physical size is not an issue, look at an entry DSLR. But still think will be tough to find one with decent lens and flash for $300ish

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-28-13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$125 is nothing for an event photographer. Even if you bought a entry level DSLR you would not get the same results as a Pro.

Now, my former company got smart and found someone internally that was semi-pro that shot concerts, sporting events, etc as a hobby. He had an OK selection of gear. They asked him what he would need to do a little better and they bought him an better flash and one more lens, and he happily does all the event photography for the company. This was a company paying up to $3000 for a 3-4 day gig. Which isn't really that much when you think of all the time spent at event, and post-production work (really no editing, but combing through the 1000s of pictures to send 300-400 of the best ones) he is super happy as he gets out of his regular job every so often and gets to travel, company is happy since they save that expense and they also know the results they are going to get. Hiring someone different in every city was a crap shoot.
Old 12-28-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

you are gonna need a good digital camera for when your mom gives birth to your baby.
Old 12-28-13, 01:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Second, no matter the camera you get, you will not get the same results. It is the photographer (you were using professionals. There is a reason they are professionals) not the camera.
Yep. I have a mid-level DSLR, and my friend has a similar-spec'ed DSLR. His photos are way better than mine, because he knows much more about photography than I do. I'm not bad, but he's very good. It's about the rider, not the ride.
Old 12-28-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Yep. I have a mid-level DSLR, and my friend has a similar-spec'ed DSLR. His photos are way better than mine, because he knows much more about photography than I do. I'm not bad, but he's very good. It's about the rider, not the ride.
I'd consider myself a true amateur photographer. From age about 14 to 22 I had a true dark room. Developing and printing B&W and printing color (it was too expensive and complicated to develop color film then, so I'd like a photo place just make me the negs and I'd do the printing). I've used pro-style gear (one of my favorite camera's of all time was the Nikon F3) including some medium format stuff (talk about incredible detail!)

As I got married and had kids/job, I got out of it. Mainly sticking to simple point and shoot cameras.

My point? Fast forward to my iPhone 5. Decent camera for a phone. Most people think it is fantastic. Well I have in my home bar several 8x10 pic's (cropped) I took with my iPhone. They are nice, decent. But all it really did was spur me to get a good camera. Yet, wife and friends can't understand why their facebook pic's taken with their iphone are not as good.

I also have prints on my wall from 35mm negative, point and shoot digital camera's and my larger sensor Sony NEX (same sensor in many an entry DSLR). There are few people if any that could tell what pic was taken with what camera.

A true pro could take good pic's with an iPhone, or pretty much anything. Obviously knowing what they know they could do even better with a good camera. But when I took photography classes in college in one class the biggest project was to build a pin-hole camera and take an excellent picture with it (minimum 8x10 mounted). It was indeed an exercise in your skill over that of the equipment.
Old 12-29-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Get something that will provide us with more pics of your girlfriend's backside ...

Seriously though, as has already been said: more camera does not equal better pictures. I've been arguing about this with my wife for a few years now. We're on our second "nicer" camera (it's actually not that nice but it suits our needs) and she has been wanting a new one. The issue isn't the camera -- she won't take time to learn how to use it.

I don't even consider myself an amateur photographer, but I have a number of great pictures I have taken over the years while using our basic point-and-shoots. Our first was a Kodak and our current is a Sony we've had for at least 5 years. Find something you are comfortable with carrying and handling. If you will be using a variety of features or settings, make sure you choose a camera which you can quickly adjust or make the changes you need to make.
Old 12-29-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend a few hours learning about composition, exposure, and lighting. Your photos will improve dramatically regardless of the camera you're using. It's the photographer who makes the photo.

You can't just buy a great guitar and expect to shred; this is no different. A little knowledge goes a long way.