Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Basic Talk vs Vonage VOIP service (Considering switching to Basic Talk) Thoughts?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Basic Talk vs Vonage VOIP service (Considering switching to Basic Talk) Thoughts?

Old 11-18-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does anyone here have either of these services?

I switched my phone service from AT&T to Vonage almost 2 years ago when my bill was costing in excess of $40+ per month.

Vonage had a really attractive introductory offer of $9.99 per month for the first 3-4 months. Eventually the price went up to $24.99 per month. With taxes and other surcharges, I am paying a little over $34 per month.

Now, I recently heard about Basic Talk, which apparently Walmart sells and is a similar service to Vonage (I heard they are actually the same parent company), but only charges $9.99 per month plus taxes and surcharges and that is the permanent price. That actually is quite appealing if I could save possibly $20+ per month.

I am considering making the change. Just wondering if anyone here has Basic Talk and what their experience is with it. I really don't need a fancy, smancy phone service. Just basic stuff like Unlimited calls within the U.S., 911, 411, and caller ID. I read that Basic Talk pretty much fulfills that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 11-18-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Basic Talk vs Vonage VOIP service (Considering switching to Basic Talk) Thoughts

If you have ios hangouts would be free.

I have an ooma core, paid around $250,but don't have to pay any monthly fees or taxes. They haven't been sold in some time officially, but you can find some on ebay. Otherwise I see the ooma telo for around $100 on sale, but you have to pay taxes which is around $4-5 or so. Magic jack is cheaper but their ratings are not as high.

I am also using Obihai, which uses Google voice and costs around $50 for the box and no monthly fees or taxes but Google is cutting support for it in may 2014

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Does anyone here have either of these services?

I switched my phone service from AT&T to Vonage almost 2 years ago when my bill was costing in excess of $40+ per month.

Vonage had a really attractive introductory offer of $9.99 per month for the first 3-4 months. Eventually the price went up to $24.99 per month. With taxes and other surcharges, I am paying a little over $34 per month.

Now, I recently heard about Basic Talk, which apparently Walmart sells and is a similar service to Vonage (I heard they are actually the same parent company), but only charges $9.99 per month plus taxes and surcharges and that is the permanent price. That actually is quite appealing if I could save possibly $20+ per month.

I am considering making the change. Just wondering if anyone here has Basic Talk and what their experience is with it. I really don't need a fancy, smancy phone service. Just basic stuff like Unlimited calls within the U.S., 911, 411, and caller ID. I read that Basic Talk pretty much fulfills that.

Thoughts? Suggestions?