Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone getting the Galaxy Gear

Old 11-14-13, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone getting the Galaxy Gear

Just saw the youtube commercial for the Galaxy Gear.

youtube link

After AT&T vid phones never materialized and we all just ended up with smartphones that you could skype on I didn't think a a wristwatch communicator would be cool anymore. But I was re-watching Gattaca a while back and kinda wished we had phone watches like that. So I guess it's here.
Old 11-14-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Anyone getting the Galaxy Gear

*crickets chirping*
Old 11-15-13, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Galaxy Samsung S4 and have wanted a Smartwatch so I probably will eventually.

Edit: Nevermind, probably not. Not paying $300 for it and I don't think Smartwatches are "there" yet. Probably in a couple of years. And recharging once a day with heavy use for a watch? Yeah, no.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-15-13 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I honestly don't see the point in this. Seems really gimmicky and I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever want to use something like this as cell phones are easy enough to carry in a pocket anyways and have way more functionality.
Old 11-16-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can make calls, check emails and texts, listen to music and take pics and vids without taking out the phone. I like the idea, the tech's just not there yet, I'll adopt in a couple of years.
Old 11-17-13, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
You can make calls, check emails and texts, listen to music and take pics and vids without taking out the phone. I like the idea, the tech's just not there yet, I'll adopt in a couple of years.
You can make calls send texts and turn on music without taking the phone out of your pocket and without the GG as well, or at least I can on my Note 3. You can take pics and vids but the quality of the GG camera isn't that great, and from the reviews, the angle of the camera isn't great either. If I need to know the time, I can get my phone to tell me the time without taking it out of the pocket as well.

E-mail viewing is kinda limited, and you can't click on links because there is no browser. I like the concept of a smart watch, but this one doesn't do what I need yet. If I can get it for dirt cheap, I would get it,just because it would be something to tinker with. I had the chance of getting the GG for free with purchase of the Note 3. I opted to get the discounted Note 3 for $90 on contract instead, because I can't justify spending $210 on the GG. I spent some time looking at it and the salesman was pushing it hard when I got my Note 3, but really, it just didn't do it for me. I am not a watch person to begin with, so to get me to wear something on my wrist, it has to have some outstanding feature that I would use, and it doesn't.
Old 11-17-13, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I said the tech is not there yet In a couple of years it will be.

How can you send texts without taking the phone out of your pocket? I wouldn't trust voice to text through a Bluetooth headset to send a text without looking at what it typed down.
Old 11-17-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, you cannot see it in pocket, but you can send a text if in a pinch. If important information, you can always call the person with the phone in the pocket

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
That's why I said the tech is not there yet In a couple of years it will be.

How can you send texts without taking the phone out of your pocket? I wouldn't trust voice to text through a Bluetooth headset to send a text without looking at what it typed down.
Old 11-17-13, 11:38 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Pebble smartwatch, and I think it does the things I expect from a smartwatch better than the Gear does, for a much lower price.

The most basic function is to act as an auxiliary display and a remote control for the phone:

- Notifications for incoming calls and messages. I can see who is calling or read the messages before deciding if or how to respond. Typically the notification arrives a split second before the phone rings, so this is very useful - that gives me time to pick up the phone to answer or to ignore if I wish. My phone is now set on mute, and I rely on the Pebble to alert me.

- Control for music playing. Similar to what you have on some earphone cords, but more convenient.

- Alarms. It does a vibrate alarm on my arm. That works better to wake me up than a phone alarm.

- Customizable watch faces. I can display weather, phase of moon, week of year, etc. in addition to changing the time display itself.

- Fitness. It has a built-in accelerometer and is integrated with Runkeeper.

Maybe a few other things but I don't use them and forgot.

One important difference from the Samsung Gear is that the Pebble uses an e-ink black-and-white display, so it is not as bright as the Gear, but the battery lasts me 3-7 days, depending on how many messages I get.

There are a few things I would like to improve: a) Bigger screen and more attractive design, b) Still better battery life, and c) More memory. However I would say that the Pebble starts out at a better point than the Gear does.

As for the ability to respond to text messages, there is no space for a decent keyboard, but I would like the ability to send back a pre-programmed reply, such as "Call you later" or "On my way."
Old 11-17-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't the Pebble support voice commands? The GG certainly does. You can speak the text message and have the GG send it.

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I have a Pebble smartwatch, and I think it does the things I expect from a smartwatch better than the Gear does, for a much lower price.

The most basic function is to act as an auxiliary display and a remote control for the phone:

- Notifications for incoming calls and messages. I can see who is calling or read the messages before deciding if or how to respond. Typically the notification arrives a split second before the phone rings, so this is very useful - that gives me time to pick up the phone to answer or to ignore if I wish. My phone is now set on mute, and I rely on the Pebble to alert me.

- Control for music playing. Similar to what you have on some earphone cords, but more convenient.

- Alarms. It does a vibrate alarm on my arm. That works better to wake me up than a phone alarm.

- Customizable watch faces. I can display weather, phase of moon, week of year, etc. in addition to changing the time display itself.

- Fitness. It has a built-in accelerometer and is integrated with Runkeeper.

Maybe a few other things but I don't use them and forgot.

One important difference from the Samsung Gear is that the Pebble uses an e-ink black-and-white display, so it is not as bright as the Gear, but the battery lasts me 3-7 days, depending on how many messages I get.

There are a few things I would like to improve: a) Bigger screen and more attractive design, b) Still better battery life, and c) More memory. However I would say that the Pebble starts out at a better point than the Gear does.

As for the ability to respond to text messages, there is no space for a decent keyboard, but I would like the ability to send back a pre-programmed reply, such as "Call you later" or "On my way."
Old 11-17-13, 12:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Doesn't the Pebble support voice commands? The GG certainly does. You can speak the text message and have the GG send it.
No speaker and no microphone on the Pebble.
Old 11-22-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the galaxy gear is dependent on having a Samsung phone? It's just a blue tooth? Never mind...
Old 11-22-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People have hacked it to use on other phones.

But yeah Smart Watches need a phone.

Someone at work has one, noticed it today. Sexy. But yep tech not there yet.
Old 12-28-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife bought me one for christmas.

Not sure if I'll keeep it yet.

The speaker is barely audible so using it to make and answer calls
doesn't really work for me.

the obvious issue is the price.

She paid $300 plus $40 for a warranty so that is staring
me in the face everytime I look at the watch.
You have to use s-voice to send a text.

I do see who is calling without looking at the phone and do see texts and emails as they come in.

Havent figured out the music contoller yet but I doubt I'll use it because it only controls the samsung music player and I never use that. I use google play, Tunein and I-heartradio for music.

On second day and the battery is still at 53%.

Havent figured out how to share a picture I take with the Gear. the share button is there but it's greyed out.

The pedometer and find my device work very nicely.
Old 12-29-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Return that watch and get 2 Pebbles (one for you and her). Thank me later.